Insteon? Vera?

Posted on
Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:13 pm
rjs104 offline

Insteon? Vera?

Hi,

This is a continuation thought of my previous post regarding extending Z-Wave to my shed.

The idea of putting a remote "hub" of some form in the shed makes a lot of sense to me. There have been two primary suggestions from other members

a) use Vera and the Indigo Vera plugin

b) use Insteon.

I have no experience with either technologies - and don't want to start investing in one over the other and then find that support is withdrawn for some reason.

It seems to me that a) is a bit of a legacy support route to help people transitioning from Vera to Indigo, and also to provide integration to a few devices (locks) that are yet to be implemented in Indigo.

b) The ideal solution (on the face of it) would be for me to use an Insteon Hub at the remote end. 1 cat5 to connect it to my network -fab. I'm putting a mains distort in the shed, so I could easily use the Insteon DIN units for controlling the lights that I want to. Job done - very elegantly to my mind.

But I don't think the Insteon Hub is supported by Indigo - only USB or serial interfaces are - which is a bit of a problem for me.

I suppose I could put a cat5 usb extension in - and then run a usb module in the shed? But I don't think there is a UK version of any of the USB or serial interfaces.

Conclusion - a) is clunky, b) has the impression of being very elegant, but isn't possible.

Can anyone who has more direct experience pass comment/thoughts along?

Jay - I've read your postings about Indigo Hub being down your development list. Does this equate to a polite "don't even consider using it for the foreseeable future"?

Cheers!

Richard.

Posted on
Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:33 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon? Vera?

Yeah, it's still pretty low on the list comparatively. Given the current state of things, I'd recommend finding a cheap Vera and add the few Z-Wave devices you need on that (assuming they're supported by the plugin). You can probably find a Vera Lite on sale somewhere over there for pretty cheap...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1