Apple Server and Mail

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:53 am
autolog offline

Apple Server and Mail

I am running Yosemite 10.10.2 and Server (Apple) 4.0.3.

I am also using a Foscam HD camera and when it alerts it can send an email.

What I would like to do is send an email to Indigo via the Apple Server. That is the email would only exist on my internal network and no internet access would be required.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this before I start a more detailed investigation to see if it is possible. :)

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:53 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Apple Server and Mail

May be you could create a file on the indigo box And there listen if file is created.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:33 pm
Sharek326 offline

Is there a special reason why you want it to go through OS X Server Mail? Does the indigo server not touch the internet? If it does couldn't you accomplish it by asking you ISP for a seperate "Indigo" email such as indigo@att.net? Then setup Indigo to monitor that account?

Is the server setup .local?

Posted on
Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Jon:

I had something setup similar to that for a while -- I ran a local web server though it actually functionally hit the internet (using No-IP's email forwarding service to forward port 25 to another port of my choosing since 25 was blocked at the ISP level). Local mail, of course, never left the network and functionally would have been the same as what you describe.

It worked, but is still email and you are still at the mercy of Indigo polling it via POP3 I believe. Not sure if your goal is avoiding the internet or a faster response time; in the real work the former is achieved and the latter not affected all that much.

Adam

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:17 am
autolog offline

kw123 wrote:
May be you could create a file on the indigo box And there listen if file is created.

This is a possibility (via FTP)

Sharek326 wrote:
Is there a special reason why you want it to go through OS X Server Mail? Does the indigo server not touch the internet? If it does couldn't you accomplish it by asking you ISP for a seperate "Indigo" email such as indigo@att.net? Then setup Indigo to monitor that account? Is the server setup .local?

Yes, the server is .local. I mainly use it for VPN access to my Mac Mini and Indigo. I have got lots of ways to get email as I have a load of my own domains but the reason for trying to avoid the Internet is that I just want to pick up a notification from the camera in Indigo and avoid having to go out to the Internet and back to get the notification.

RogueProeliator wrote:
Jon:
I had something setup similar to that for a while -- I ran a local web server though it actually functionally hit the internet (using No-IP's email forwarding service to forward port 25 to another port of my choosing since 25 was blocked at the ISP level). Local mail, of course, never left the network and functionally would have been the same as what you describe.
It worked, but is still email and you are still at the mercy of Indigo polling it via POP3 I believe. Not sure if your goal is avoiding the internet or a faster response time; in the real work the former is achieved and the latter not affected all that much.
Adam

Hi Adam, Yes that is some interesting points you make. :)

Having read these replies (thanks everybody :) ), I think I might change tack and poll the camera - unfortunately it appears that the Foscam HD cameras don't really have a way to do an instant notify of an alert whereas the SD cameras do. So I think polling to check the alert status and then FTP link to the camera to pull down the captured snapshots might be the way to go. I suspect it will be quicker than relying on email.

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am
kw123 offline

you don't need FTP to create a file on another mac, you can mount it at startup and echo " xx" > fileOnOthermac in terminal

here an applescript in my login items (from the early days)
Code: Select all
tell application "Finder"
   set the_volume to {"miniHD"}
   if (list disks) contains the_volume then
      return -- directory mounted, exit
   else
      try
         mount volume "afp://yourUserID:yourpassword@192.168.1.xx/" & the_volume
      end try
   end if

end tell

after that you can access "miniHD" as a regular directory

Karl

Posted on
Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:00 am
autolog offline

Thanks for the info but what I meant was using the FTP Client on the camera to send the file to the FTP Server running on the Mac mini :)

Page 1 of 1