Electric Blanket Controls

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:20 am
durosity offline

Electric Blanket Controls

Howdy doody folks.

I've been investigating what i can do with the electric blanket on my bed. It's a fairly simple 3 heat setting and off controller, which at present is just left on setting 2 and plugged into a z-wave on/off switch. What i'd really love would be to be able to easily specify which heat setting i want on it via indigo, and although i'm sure i could knock something up using 3 relays (which of course would require 3 devices in indigo and some scripting to keep them all in sync) I was curious if any of you fine folk have came up with or found a more simplistic or elegant approach to that kind of control?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:28 am
AndyVirus offline

Re: Electric Blanket Controls

What is it that controls the 3 settings (inside i mean). Is it a 3 setting potentiometer? Going on the principal that 0 is off, 1 is 33% 2 is 66% an 3 is 100% power. So is it a variable 3 position resistor or something?

Or is it like underfloor heating where it is plain on or off but the room and floor temp sensor/thrmostat tells it to turn on or off controling the heat that way?

What voltage is the blanket, the above brain fart was thinking along the lines of 230v AC but i would be supprised if electric blankets are AC. I assume there is a transformer. If so what voltage/amp output is the transformer?

I know the above is not a solution but will help to figure out what could be done to achive your goal (and now i want this too)

I hoped this video would give some ideas but i have to admit i got side tracked and missed how his arduino is actually controlong the heat, maybe he explains but seemed mor focues on the damn wifi shield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHw4C3RNDEQ .

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:41 am
AndyVirus offline

So what i was thining and i am probably way off, but a Fibaro RGBW module as that is able to control 12/24v. If you could "dim" the current using this to the blanket... or of you can control multipul chanels (RGBW) you could use R for setting 1, G for setting 2 etc.

Again just thinking out loud, prob cant use this module in this way.

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 am
Vangelis offline

If it's 240vac the you could use the Fibaro / Qubino dual relay (think they can do 24vdc as well). You would loose one heat setting but you could measure ambient temp in the bedroom and heat the bed accordingly using say just the high / low settings

Vangelis

Page 1 of 1