Motion detection if present in a room

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:13 am
Mirko offline

Motion detection if present in a room

I still cannot resolve the "Present"-problem.
1. If I'm in the bathroom I want the light go OFF in 4 minutes. So far no problem.
2. But if I want to stay longer I do have a problem. First the light switches OFF after 4 minutes - logical but not nice. Since I am there and I move around the motion sensor should 'see' that I'm present and give another command. I have that very same problem elsewhere in the house as well. I know how to make actions etc. but this is still an issue. Actually I would like to have the possibility to stay somewhere and have no problems with the lights go OFF as long as I move around and being 'seen' by the motion sensor.

Anyone who can help me out?
Thanks

Mirko

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:48 am
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Motion detection if present in a room

First thing to check is to ensure that your trigger has the "Override previous delay" checked (found at the bottom of the Actions tab that you use to turn if off after a delay). I'm assuming here that the delayed "Turn Off" command is being issued by a Trigger against the motion sensor firing?

Adam

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:16 pm
eme jota ce offline

In addition to the earlier suggestion from Rogue Prolieator,

I had a similar problem with a motion sensor in the kitchen ... kept turning off lights when I was in the room. Thought it was an Indigo logic problem with my setup, but ...

Checked the sensitivity of the motion sensor (Aeotec multi sensor) and it was only about 50%. Twisted it up to 100%. No problems since then.

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:47 pm
Mirko offline

Thanks for the replies!
But I still do not get it right.
I enter my bathroom my MS13 motion sensor activates the trigger: 'On/Off State >> 'Becomes On', Condition: 'Always' >> Action: Turn On (Light/Appliance Controls) my devices (3x spotlights)
To switch it OFF >> next Trigger: when my MS13 motion sensor becomes OFF >> execute Action Group (Server Actions) (switches OFF al the 3 spotlights)

Should I 'delay' this? Or do something else?

Posted on
Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:21 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I believe I see the differences, here is the setup that I would try to see if it wouldn't work better:

Remove the Off trigger completely (or just disable for now to test). Modify your On trigger and add an action to execute your Turn Off group, but set it to "Delay By" the number of minutes you want as well as check the Override previous delay.

If others have found a better way, hopefully they will chime in... but this general setup works for me in a similar situation (not using motion, but same concept with a different triggering event).

Adam

Posted on
Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:09 am
eme jota ce offline

Haven't used an X10 motion sensor, but do setup Insteon and Z-Wave motion sensors to control lights ON / OFF the same way that you have them set - one trigger for ON and another for OFF

With the Insteon and Z-Wave sensors, Indigo allows the user to set an Off Delay in the "Edit Device Settings" dialogue box. I always use some sort of delay, depending upon the room, the placement of the sensor and who aggressive I want the lights to be turned off. In rooms where the sensor is well placed to catch small movements, I set it to a couple minute delay if turning off the lights quickly is important. Otherwise, it might be five or ten minutes.

It appears that this setting is more related to Indigo's update of the status than the actual device's status. So, that, in the background, Indigo is receiving lots of ON's and OFF's from the sensor, but doesn't not update the sensor (and execute the OFF trigger) until X minutes after the last OFF update is received from the motion sensor.

Posted on
Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:45 am
Vaillant offline

I use a timer and never had problems with my X10 motion sensors.
Sensor tripped, start timer -> sensor tripped again, restart timer.
Timer activated -> turn on ...
Duration timer 3 or 4 minutes (Depends on trigger settings for the sensor. Mine are 1 minute).
Timer becomes inactive -> turn off ...

Greetings,
Adrian

Posted on
Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:25 am
neilgreene offline

I think I am doing what others here are doing:

Motion ON (trigger) - Timer starts and I have increased the sensitivity on the timer from its default 10 seconds, to 2 min. SO, 2min is my minimum time on.
Motion OFF (trigger) - If no motion is received in 2MIN, then the MOTION OFF trigger is tripped. And it has the OFF commands with a delay of 3 min, or 8min depending on the sensitivity I want for resets.

Now, if Motion is detected before 5 min, or 10 min, then the MOTION ON trigger, resets any delayed actions (such as the off commands delayed from MOTION OFF) and this resets the clock.

I then use VARIABLES to control different triggers for different times of the day for different controls in bedrooms, hallways or rooms. So, for instance. When going to bed at night, we hit a button the keypadlinc which sets a variable to let Indigo know we are going to bed. This controls the triggering events to disable certain triggers and enable others so we are not doing things like turning a tv off if we want to watch tv while in bed, or other room devices like lighting controls.

Posted on
Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:50 am
neilgreene offline

I have switched over to use the Indigo 6 Timer and Pesters.
I create an OCCUPANCY TIMER for each room, or zone.
When motion is detected, start the timer and do what ever actions I want in the room.
Motion sensors are set for OCCUPANCY MODE, so they resend an ON TRIGGER when motion detected.
I trigger on MOTION ON and reset the timer when motion detected.
When the MOTION is no longer detected, the motion goes off and timer runs out.
Turn off everything.

Page 1 of 1