Multiple switches on a Fibaro relay (2x1.5kv)

Posted on
Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:09 am
durosity offline

Multiple switches on a Fibaro relay (2x1.5kv)

I've been trying to find a way of controlling my desk lamp with a Fibaro relay device but with a way to retain both local control of the device, and also have it wired into a wallswitch for controls when entering/leaving the room. I've done this plenty of times with other devices using 2 position switches (Common, L1, L2) but this one is stumping me as the switch inside the lamp is just a simple on/off affair which breaks the 230v line, but this doesn't give me the ability to alternate between L1 and L2. I presume i could use some kind of simple relay for this but i'm not sure what kind i'd need for the job. I'd imagine it'd need to support 230v and could alternate between on and off depending on of the switch is on or not.. but past that point i'm getting a little confuzeled.. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:37 am
howartp offline

Re: Multiple switches on a Fibaro relay (2x1.5kv)

Are you wanting to use the built in switch in the desk lamp, or a separate switch adjacent to the desk lamp? If the former, I think if you replace the mains lead into the lamp with 4-core mains (L, N, Earth and a switched live output). Hardwire the Live across the switch so the lamp is permanently powered from the plug end. Now wire your 4th core to the far side of the local switch. Your lamp now receives 240v from the L/N from the plug end, and the lamp's own switch is switching the 4th core between live and not-live. Replace plug with Fibaro 2x1.5kv relay. Switched live from lamp into S1, L/N into O1 and N. Now either ZWave commands or local switch will operate output 1 of your Fibaro, which is your lamp. If you want wall switch by door, either use a ZWave switch to transmit on/off, or wire normal switch to S2 and set indigo to transmit S1 Toggle when it receives S2 Toggle. My study light is essentially wired like this, except it's the ceiling light. Means I can turn it on from a keyboard shortcut instead of walking to the switch the length of the room away.

Posted on
Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 am
howartp offline

Just realised this won't quite work a I said - I'm just knocking up a diagram; be back in a minute.

-----

Right, see attached image. You'd actually need two additional cores, not one.

The grey and brown are Live and Switched Live. Whenever the state changes (Open/Closed) FIbaro will toggle Output 1 (your lamp) and report such to Indigo. Sending 'On', 'Off' or 'Toggle' to the Fibaro via Indigo or other Zwave will have the same effect. If you want to hardwire a wall switch, connect it to S2 and instruct Indigo to send S1 when it receives S2. Just make sure you don't bridge between your Ring Main (which the lamp will be ultimately fed from) and the Lighting circuit (which most wall switches would be fed from). Your consumer unit/fuse board won't like it. :)

Might be better to locate the Fibaro somewhere on your desk so you only need short additional wires from Lamp to Fibaro - but if you're doing this, you might as well add an external switch into the box which is housing your FIbaro and just leave Lamp switch on permanently.

Peter
Attachments
Fibaro.png
Fibaro.png (39.5 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Posted on
Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:30 am
durosity offline

Aha! Thanks for that... it's not quite what i need as i need S2 for controlling a 2nd desk lamp in exactly the same way.. however your diagram has given me a bright idea on how i might be able to get around it! Thanks bud!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 am
howartp offline

Glad to help. :-)

Page 1 of 1