Virtual Devices

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 am
gregtee offline

Virtual Devices

I've made a virtual device. The problem is that it doesn't seem to do anything. I'd like to use it a State Device, such as "I'm Home", where I can toggle it On or Off which other events will check first and make decisions based on its on or off state.

When I try to manually turn on this device, nothing happens. The little button next to the device is just always grayed out. Am I missing something? I used virtual devices a lot in Homeseer before I migrated over to Indigo and I'd like to use them here as well but I can't seem to figure out how do anything but create them initially.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:41 am
Seeker offline

Re: Virtual Devices

I had the same issues. they work differently here.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=11936

In indigo, they are not simple toggle on/off virtual devices.

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:02 pm
FlyingDiver offline

If you want a simple state variable, then use a variable, not a virtual device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:30 pm
berkinet offline

Back before plugins and all the current extensions to Indigo, the trick to create virtual devices was to create a dummy X10 device. Pick an appropriate X10 device as the base for your device (I.e. switch or dimmer) and then assign it some arbitrary X10 code. If you actually use X10 on your network, pick a house code you are not using. You should be able to turn the device on and off and also check it's state.

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:55 pm
durosity offline

Just for my OCD* id really love to see virtual devices and variables combined someday.. Instead of a variables list just create plugins with custom types that can be updated dynamically, but also with the functions of virtual devices... But I'm sure that'd be a lot of work for very little functional reward.

*i prefer to call it CDO.. Because then the letters are in the right order. Infant I rather it's COO... Because it's not a disorder. It's an order. Everything in order. Just as it's supposed to be! ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:22 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gregtee wrote:
I've made a virtual device. The problem is that it doesn't seem to do anything. I'd like to use it a State Device, such as "I'm Home", where I can toggle it On or Off which other events will check first and make decisions based on its on or off state.

When I try to manually turn on this device, nothing happens. The little button next to the device is just always grayed out. Am I missing something? I used virtual devices a lot in Homeseer before I migrated over to Indigo and I'd like to use them here as well but I can't seem to figure out how do anything but create them initially.

You're almost there. What you need is two action groups: one that will turn the device's state to on and another that will turn the devices state to off. Create the on group:

1. Create a new action group - call it "Turn On Virtual Device" or something
  2. In the Type popup, select Device Actions->Virtual Device Controls->Set Virtual On/Off Device State
  3. In the Device popup, select your virtual device
  4. Open the settings and type in "on" (without the quotes)

Repeat these steps for an off group (with the appropriate changes of course). Then, edit your virtual device and select these groups as your on and off group. You now have a device that can be turned on/off using the built-in on/off ui controls and actions.

We may add (in some future release) the ability to bypass the creation of the action groups to simplify things - we just originally designed this device to be more fully featured than just a simple on/off device.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:44 pm
jeffgoodman offline

Jay, I'm trying this, but when I go to the Type popup, select Device Actions-> I do not see Virtual Device Controls, just Universal Controls, Light Application Controls, Sprinkler Controls, Thermostat Controls, Fan Speed Controls, and Input / Output Controls.

I'm trying this because when I add a new device, "Virtual Devices" is grayed out.

Thanks for your help (I'm pretty new to this).

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Once you have added the virtual device (or device group), it will be available in the actions dialog under the Light/Appliance Control->Turn On (Off, Toggle) type.

If virtual devices is disabled in the device dialog, then try restarting your Mac. If that doesn't help, then restart the Indigo Server and copy/paste the Event Log window contents into a forum reply for us.

Posted on
Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:25 pm
jeffgoodman offline

Thanks Matt (and thanks for all of your account help today!).

I actually found that I needed to go to Interfaces > Virtual Devices > Enable. Virtual Devices then became a valid selection for a new device.

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:27 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Oops, I forgot we don't automatically start that one after a default install. :-)

Page 1 of 1