Choices For Controlling a Mini-Split Air Conditioner Via IR

Posted on
Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:42 am
Bollar offline

(I would have posted this in the IR & AV forum, but there's no "new message" button.

Has anyone tried controlling a mini-split AC via IR recently and if so, how did you do it?

There are a few older threads, many of which recommended the IRLinc Transmitter. Sadly, it appears to be power line only, so I can't use it -- I have several competing power line networks, which just kills my Insteon performance. I'm only buying new Insteon modules if they can do RF.

I can also do Z-Wave, but I'm not that familiar with my options. I found the Remotec zxt-120. It seems promising -- it presents itself as a z-wave thermostat and already knows the IR codes for many units.

Does anyone else have ideas or recommendations?

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Choices For Controlling a Mini-Split Air Conditioner Via

[MODERATOR NOTE] Moved to a more appropriate forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:50 pm
haavarda offline

I am using 2 of the remotec devices, and have good experience with these. I use them with a toshiba split heat pump. I think the thermostat feature is a bit limited due to a slow/bad temperature sensor. I use a separate temp sensor and control temperature with indigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Håvard

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:24 am
elf55 offline

How does the Remotec ZXT-120 appear to Indigo? Are you able to send temperature settings to the A/C unit? Control Mode (e.g. cool/heat/dehumidify). Or are we talking about developing a plugin for these operations. Energy management of HVAC has a huge return on investment and I'd like to be able to control my IR controlled mid-split heat pump units, but I haven't found a device that can bridge between Indigo and the mid-split units yet.

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:31 pm
Bollar offline

It looks like a thermostat and Indigo recognizes it as such.

The only downsides are that it's Celsius-only and the split's remote is unaware of any changes executed by the zxt.

I'd also recommend having it powered by usb. Makes it easier to manage from Indigo.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:25 pm
elf55 offline

That's great. I see that Amazon has it. It sounds like it's worth getting one to experiment. Do you know of anything that does the same thing (i.e. function as an IR control for an A/C)?

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:28 pm
Bollar offline

elf55 wrote:
That's great. I see that Amazon has it. It sounds like it's worth getting one to experiment. Do you know of anything that does the same thing (i.e. function as an IR control for an A/C)?

This is the only one I could find for mini splits.

Posted on
Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:41 pm
mlooss offline

I just got the Remotec ZXT-120 and I am having problems getting it to work. Was able to include/synch once it was listed as a Thermostat, but subsequent syncs to INDIGO fail, when I relocated the device. Excluded and included with same result and never got it to synch again. I am using it with USB power and the instructions tell you how toggle between Always Listening and Frequent Listening Routing Slaves by pressing the PROG button for 5 seconds until red LED light up and then pressing the button three times within two seconds. Every time you do this it toggles between those modes, with the LED flashing twice or 4 times, I never get the 4 flashes, only two flashes. You also have to exclude the device before changing modes. Also when you plug in the USB power, the red LED comes on ones and goes out, but there is not other indication it has power or not. I added the batteries, but it still will not synch. I also hanged to use several different USB charging ports with no luck.
This issue maybe related to my continuing Z-wave/Stick problems, right now my devices responds, but will not synch ever. I spent several hours this weekend again trying to get it to work, but no luck.
I waited a long time for this product to become available again, it had been out of stock. I contacted with them to confirm my split unit is supported and the responded really quick and asked me to sent photos of the remote and confirmed it was supported. They also told they are working on a new versions that allows the firmware to be upgraded, which is currently not possible by end users.

Page 1 of 1