Implementing a ZWave LP Tank level monitor for Indigo

Posted on
Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:02 pm
six50joe offline

Implementing a ZWave LP Tank level monitor for Indigo

I started a thread earlier about this topic:
http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11590

Since others have interest in this, I wanted to follow up on it, and hopefully get some help from those more skilled than I at DIY electronic interfaces. If I can implement the solution, it would hopefully be helpful for others with the same needs as me.

My LP tanks have a Rochester R3D LP gauge. Since starting my other thread, I found the following hall effect monitor device on Amazon and just ordered one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HS8CZOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I remember reading somewhere a few months back that the leads within the cable of this device could be spliced out and connected to a MIMOLite:
http://www.fortrezz.com/index.php/products/mimolite

I think the idea is that the Mimo sends a small current through the cable to the HE monitor, which relays information back to the Mimo, which would in turn relay data to Indigo about the reading on the tank gauge.

I don't have any experience with making my own electronics or the Mimo, but am definitely willing to get my hands dirty if someone could give me some guidance.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Posted on
Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Implementing a ZWave LP Tank level monitor for Indigo

[MODERATOR NOTE] Moved to the appropriate forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:59 pm
six50joe offline

Bump

Posted on
Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:48 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The MIMOlite does have an analog input that can turn a voltage level (0 to 24V) into a sensor value in Indigo. Indigo will report this is an integer value, which you can use in a Trigger using the type Device State Changed. The MIMOlite also has some config parms, where you can set threshold values for converting the sensor value into a binary (on/off) state value which is also reported to Indigo.

On the hardware side, I don't know how/if that sensor can connect to the MIMOlite. I suspect it is probably possible, but I didn't see any specs on the Amazon page.

Posted on
Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:16 am
six50joe offline

The LP tank monitoring device I purchased gives a reading when you press the button on its controller. It has a battery, and sends a small pulse to the snap in HE unit, which in turn relays the reading.

From the MIMO Lite manual:

The output relay is typically commanded via Z-WaveTM
commands. In addition, the user can configure the input SIG1 trigger condition to be
mapped to the output relay. For example, Relay 1 can be automatically turned on based on Input SIG1 being triggered. The relay activation can
be set via a jumper or via Z-WaveTM
for either momentary or latched operation - see Installation section.

I would assume this means that I could configure Indigo to send a trigger signal to MML which could in turn relay a pulse (by splicing in to the LP monitor cable) to the snap in unit. Then, another wire from the cable could transmit the reading back to the MML and turn it into a sensor value for Indigo as Matt describes.

Does this assumption sound right?

Page 1 of 1