Custom Audible Alerts- "Ring Tone" for Email?

Posted on
Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 am
gadgetnut offline

Custom Audible Alerts- "Ring Tone" for Email?

Indigo or SecuritySpy sends emails to alert me of movement. How would you have only those emails make a distinct sound on the iPhone to alert you? I tried using an iOS app called eNotify, but with limited success. Other approach? Thanks.

Posted on
Tue May 13, 2014 3:23 pm
gadgetnut offline

Re: Custom Audible Alerts- "Ring Tone" for Email?

I will update this thread with any significant improvements. The goal is to quickly, efficiently trigger a distinct audible tone on iPhone when a motion detection email has been sent by SecuritySpy or Indigo.

Currently I am using an SMS to email gateway from my cellular provider. So SecuritySpy sends an email to number@txt.att.net (or number@vtext.com for Verizon, etc.) and a text and new text tone come through to my iPhone. BTW, this seems to be received a few seconds faster than email, which is helpful.

I'm using a unique email address just for SecuritySpy home automation emails. I entered that address as a new contact in my Contacts.app and assigned that contact a unique text tone on my iPhone. Trying to make a unique audible alert to instantly let me know someone is at my drive gate, etc.

Unfortunately when an alert text comes in at iPhone, it shows the email address but the Sender Phone Number is a different, constantly changing sequential AT&T ID number, so the custom alert sound does not work.

Is anyone achieving audible alerts differently?

Posted on
Tue May 13, 2014 4:44 pm
SpencerJRoberts offline

I would recommend using Prowl for this, you can customize alert sounds to each Prowl message. There are some threads one here about it and I can write something more detailed once I get home from work if you don't find it.

Posted on
Wed May 14, 2014 1:34 am
marceltrapman offline

You can use the pushover plugin to give you a text and audible alert.

Once my changes to the plugin have been added you can also change the sound per trigger.

You can read more about pushover here: https://pushover.net

Posted on
Wed May 14, 2014 3:05 am
haavarda offline

marceltrapman wrote:
You can use the pushover plugin to give you a text and audible alert.

Once my changes to the plugin have been added you can also change the sound per trigger.

You can read more about pushover here: https://pushover.net

Do you have any indications on when these changes til be added?

Håvard

Posted on
Wed May 14, 2014 11:45 pm
marceltrapman offline

haavarda wrote:
Do you have any indications on when these changes til be added?
Unfortunately I don't.
I enhanced the plugin over a month ago and, upon the request on the original dev, I created and committed my own branch to GitHub a month ago.
It went silent after that.

Page 1 of 1