How to Trigger Indigo with a non-Zwave Device

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:37 am
aldera offline

How to Trigger Indigo with a non-Zwave Device

Hello,

I have a solar-powered driveway sensor that rings a small unit in the house. See attached picture. It works great but it's not ZWave. I'd like to somehow have it trip a Zwave device but haven't been successful in my 2 attempts. I tried a Zwave power plug that monitors the power load but it doesn't change enough to pick up the change. I also tried a Zwave vibration sensor but it doesn't vibrate enough either.

Does anyone have any ideas to get this to work? Thanks.

Ralph
Attachments
unit - 1.jpeg
Alarm Unit
unit - 1.jpeg (166.29 KiB) Viewed 932 times

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:17 pm
siclark offline

Re: How to Trigger Indigo with a non-Zwave Device

Judging from the spec of the accessories this is 433mhz wireless.
An RFX COM might work but it's been years since I've looked at these sort of devices.

Posted on
Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:29 pm
Different Computers offline

Does it light up? you could use a luminance sensor if so. HomeSeer HS-FS100+ is a water sensor but also luminance, with a light sensor you could attach over any light the device has.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:45 pm
aldera offline

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about the light sensor angle. The music note on the front of the unit lights up while the unit is ringing. I ordered the HS-FS100 and will try that out.

Ralph

Posted on
Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:50 pm
aldera offline

Different Computers wrote:
Does it light up? you could use a luminance sensor if so. HomeSeer HS-FS100+ is a water sensor but also luminance, with a light sensor you could attach over any light the device has.

Bingo! Bought the HS-FS100+ and used the light sensor. Works like a champ. Only caveat is that you have to use USB power to get it to work correctly. On battery it only checks for light once per minute and the light of the driveway unit only pulses for about 3 seconds so it would never trip. On USB it checks every 1/2 second.

Thanks again for the idea.

Ralph

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:53 am
Different Computers offline

Glad it worked!

To be fair, it seems that the light sensor was specifically designed for this sort of "notice an LED turning on" job.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Page 1 of 1