Woodpecker Deterrent?

Posted on
Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 am
ckeyes888 offline

Woodpecker Deterrent?

Not sure this is the right forum but would love to hear any ideas on detecting and deterring
woodpeckers off our house.
I’ve tried all the simple conventional remedies, fake owls, shiny streamers etc. with no joy.
I’m experimenting with motion sensors but very often it’s just one bird pecking and it’s not detected.
If I do find a good sensor for detection I thought I’d try triggering some predator sounds which I hear may work.

Long shot I know but if anyone has rigged something to get rid of them I’d sure love to hear it!

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Woodpecker Deterrent?

[MODERATOR NOTE]: moved to a more appropriate forum.

Sorry, I don't have any ideas.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2021 8:46 am
ELWOOD offline

Just guessing that your house has cedar shakes. My neighbor's house has cedar shakes and the woodpecker's drive him crazy.
My house has vinyl siding and no problem with the woodpeckers. Just remember the cartoon character "WOODY" Woodpecker.

Elwood

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2021 9:50 am
ckeyes888 offline

Siding not really an option on a mostly log home. Think i just need a hyper sensitive motion detector to trigger the predator sounds.

Thanks,

Carl
Attachments
EA7EAB57-1FC2-4142-B731-5DFF19C3A0FA.jpeg
EA7EAB57-1FC2-4142-B731-5DFF19C3A0FA.jpeg (141.93 KiB) Viewed 3242 times

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm
Different Computers offline

Considering the depths of the eaves, have you considered motion detectors under the outside edges of the eaves that point BACK and down at the exterior walls of the house? shouldn't be too many things causing false alerts if aimed correctly.

Now, I have no idea what to do with that triggered detector.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2021 1:16 pm
neilk offline

What - no native Indigo Woodpecker Deterrent Solution. That is it, I am off to Home Assistant and endless config editing, that way the constant swearing trying to keep it running will see then off.

In all seriousness it is quite dull living in the UK by comparison.

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2021 1:58 pm
JaceJenkins offline

I did something similar for my dogs sneaking upstairs to pee. Motion sensors and a Insteon Siren. Don't know if the woodpecker would be scared off by a blaring siren tho

Posted on
Thu May 13, 2021 10:54 am
ckeyes888 offline

I did get motion sensors working well enough, just not there yet with the deterrent.
Tried playing loud predator sounds, hawks eagles etc. but they get used to them in no time.
They’re much smarter than you think. Next up an animated owl.

Carl

Posted on
Mon May 17, 2021 5:58 am
siclark offline

neilk wrote:
What - no native Indigo Woodpecker Deterrent Solution. That is it, I am off to Home Assistant and endless config editing, that way the constant swearing trying to keep it running will see then off.

In all seriousness it is quite dull living in the UK by comparison.

I am in the UK and have bright green parakeets regularly all over my house, in gangs of 6 or more, trying to get into any space they can, working out how to enter through extractor vents, holes in the soffit etc etc. Definitely not dull, but very frustrating.

At the moment I am training my toddlers to run outside and shout at them. I could automate this with suggested motion sensoras the trigger, as we cant see them when in the house (obviously), but need an action. Any idea how I integrate 2 year olds into Indidgo?

Posted on
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:18 am
howartp offline

Would a sprinkler/water jet deter either the woodpeckers, the parakeets or the toddlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:50 am
Different Computers offline

siclark wrote:
Any idea how I integrate 2 year olds into Indidgo?

got whole house audio?

do shell script

Code: Select all
say go get the birdies, Ethelbirt

Since the kid is only two, maybe don't automate unlocking the appropriate doors.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:40 pm
mundmc offline

Woodpecker Deterrent?

Put this on a switched outlet?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0948JPC6Q/re ... 0VHS653HNN

(No joke, I have an “insane things you can buy on Amazon“ list, and this question made me think of it)

Page 1 of 1