Pentair Intellitouch Plugin

Posted on
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am
Swancoat offline

Pentair Intellitouch Plugin

Turns out I never actually made a thread for this thing, just posted in someone else's.

Anyway, it's running and has been for some time quite well. I finally have a place to host the file.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com/downloads/

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Pentair Intellitouch Plugin

Excellent - added it to the plugin list. Thanks for the contribution!

BTW, you can always upload it to the File Library to host it... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:46 pm
rruthless offline

I am attempting to use the Pentair Pool plugin with my Indigo 6.0.2 Pro which successfully controls many lights in my house via a CM15A. Normally the pool is controlled from my Mac via my LAN using the wi-fi ScreenLogic Connect software (very buggy, at least on my Mac) supplied by Pentair.

I have enabled the plugin and configured it in the Connection Type as "Network Socket" and using the same wi-fi address as that used by the Pentair software. However the address field in the Indigo 'Create New Device' panel shows a greyed out 'undefined' and I can't get any connection using Indigo.

Clearly I am doing something wrong or am missing a piece of hard or soft ware. What's the problem?

Posted on
Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:04 pm
Swancoat offline

The plugin is designed to interface with Pentair's RS232 Serial interface (http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/i-LinkUG.pdf). It looks like you're trying to connect it to Pentair's proprietary wifi interface.

The "Network Socket" connection type is referring to a serial port that is connected to remotely using one of these for example: http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2slspecs/

Hope this helps.

Posted on
Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:51 am
boisy offline

I have a Pentair system with Intellitouch for our pool and also use ScreenLogic Connect on the iPhone and Mac to connect to the control system. This is all over WiFi using the WiFi bridge that is part of the Intellitouch system.

I see this solution requires the RS-232 port. Is there a solution for the WiFi component? I would really like to integrate this into Indigo.

Posted on
Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 am
Swancoat offline

Not that I'm aware of. I've had no incentive to look at it since I'm connected via RS232.

Not sure if a 3rd party can even connect to their WiFi interface (i.e. is there even a published communication protocol or anything). Even if there was, I'm pretty sure I'm not the guy skill-wise to write that kind of plug-in.

Posted on
Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Swancoat, would you mind telling me what exact hardware you have on the IntelliTouch side of things? I am not familiar at all with their system and the web doesn't have a lot of do-it-yourself information. I'd like to avoid their touchscreens and such and instead use your plugin and Indigo (I have a Pentair pump & chlorine generator as well as another brand heater that I believe is supposed to work with IntelliTouch).

Just in the investigation stage, but trying to figure out if hooking this up is doable by myself as I don't want to pay the pool company a (likely) hefty premium to install it.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted on
Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:13 am
Swancoat offline

I have an Intellitouch i9+3 control/automation panel.

The main interface for that is the Pentair Intellitouch MobileTouch Wireless controller. That was what the pool builder initially installed and is enough to run the pool and control all functions. This is still my primary control point for the pool.

I also added an i-Link adapter (this is what you need for my plugin). It's basically a little box that they charge you $400 for, and connects to the Intellitouch Panel and supplies an RS-232 port that you can communicate with. This communicates a lot of the circuit states and temps and stuff but does not provide ALL of the info available on the main controller (salt level, for instance).

Posted on
Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Thanks... my best-case scenario is that I can show and change the speed of the variable-speed pump, show the current water temperature and control the heater. Does your plugin support those or, if not, do you happen to know from any of your work on it that it could or couldn't do that?

In looking at the serial documentation you had linked to I saw Lo/High pump settings, though mine has 4 speeds so maybe an updated controller has more options. I saw a query for pool temp and heater controls, so was curious if the plugin already supported those.

Thanks for the info!

Posted on
Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm
Swancoat offline

I never built the ability into the plugin to directly control the pump (outside of the preset settings for Spa and Pool). I just skimmed through the serial protocol quickly and didn't see an option for the Intelliflow pumps to be set to a particular speed. I think that has to be configured on setup of the Intellitouch. There is a provision to control a 2 speed pump between HI and LO however.

The plugin does support pool temp and heater controls. You can turn the spa on or off and there is an action to change the setpoint of the pool or spa. I don't think I built an option in to set the heat mode on or off, but it would be a relatively simple change I think.

Posted on
Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:34 pm
boisy offline

Call it brute force, but I used some Internet sleuthing to track down one of the embedded software engineers at Pentair and actually called him at his desk.

I introduced myself and told him why I was calling. He asked how I found him, as he was surprised I got through.

I then told him about my Pentair system, my desire to interface Indigo to it, gave him the Indigo website, and the whole sermon on automation and how good it would be for Pentair to open up to this brave new "Internet of things."

He's intrigued, and will get back with me. As soon as I hear something, I'll pass it along.

Posted on
Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm
mvanholstyn offline

boisy, did you ever hear back from the software engineer at Pentair?

Posted on
Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 pm
boisy offline

No, unfortunately I have not. I gave him my email address but did not hear from him. I will have to call him again.

Posted on
Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:24 pm
ticotice offline

I am exploring ways to automate my pool controls via Indigo. I currently have a Pentair EasyTouch panel with the Pentair QuickTouch 2 wireless controller. Unfortunately, it only has the ability to turn 4 functions off/on. I want a more robust way to monitor and control my pool equipment.

So far I've come up with two options:
1) Option 1 is to buy the Pentair ScreenLogic2 522104 bundle (hardware interface and wireless connection kit). I can get the kit for about $380.
2) Option 2 is to buy the Autelis Pool Control for Pentair. This unit costs $275 but requires a wi-fi bridge & weatherproof box. The total cost would be about $325.

My questions are:

1) Does your Indigo plugin give the same level of control the ScreenLogic2 wireless setup will?
2) Have you had any issues with your ScreenLogic hardware/software?
3) Is the ScreenLogic interface protocol adaptor the hardware needed for the RS232 connection mentioned for your plugin?
4) Do you have any knowledge about the Autelis controller and Indigo?

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
:D

Posted on
Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:06 pm
Swancoat offline

ticotice wrote:
I am exploring ways to automate my pool controls via Indigo. I currently have a Pentair EasyTouch panel with the Pentair QuickTouch 2 wireless controller. Unfortunately, it only has the ability to turn 4 functions off/on. I want a more robust way to monitor and control my pool equipment.

So far I've come up with two options:
1) Option 1 is to buy the Pentair ScreenLogic2 522104 bundle (hardware interface and wireless connection kit). I can get the kit for about $380.
2) Option 2 is to buy the Autelis Pool Control for Pentair. This unit costs $275 but requires a wi-fi bridge & weatherproof box. The total cost would be about $325.

My questions are:

1) Does your Indigo plugin give the same level of control the ScreenLogic2 wireless setup will?
2) Have you had any issues with your ScreenLogic hardware/software?
3) Is the ScreenLogic interface protocol adaptor the hardware needed for the RS232 connection mentioned for your plugin?
4) Do you have any knowledge about the Autelis controller and Indigo?

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!
:D

I basically can't answer any of those because I don't have the ScreenLogic interface and have no experience with it. I don't think the adapter I'm using is the one that is required for that though - the RS232 adapter requires an IntelliTouch panel to operate.

(On a side note, after a small power bump a week or so ago my pool setup is unresponsive. From what I can tell, my Global Cache serial port IS working and I think the Pentair RS232 adapter may have failed. It's July in Texas, so I haven't been too keen to get up in the attic and start troubleshooting - waiting for cooler weather).