[LOCKED]Nest Thermostat Plugin Available

Posted on
Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:23 pm
BLite offline

[LOCKED]Nest Thermostat Plugin Available

[MODERATOR NOTE] A new Nest plugin has been developed (as of 2014/05/09) that supersedes this plugin so we've locked this thread. You should use the new topic to discuss the plugin.

----------------------------------------------
Hello all,

I've just finished a Nest Thermostat plugin for Indigo 5.x Pro. It is released via github and, certainly open to improvements/suggestions. The plugin is based on a NestThermostat Python class that I wrote for the purpose of providing an easy Indigo interface - I'll be releasing this shortly as well.

The plugin can be downloaded directly from:

https://github.com/johnray/Indigo-Nest- ... all/master

A README of the basics is available at:

http://nestthermostat.johnemeryray.com/

A note that may be helpful for everyone:

The plugin, as of version 1.0.2, is NOT case sensitive. You can use the nest device names and location names as displayed on the main Nest.com control page.

Questions, comments, suggestions appreciated. I wrote this for the sole purpose of being able to turn on ceiling fans when the Nest turned on the HVAC blower, so I know it can at least do that :).

Best wishes,
John
Last edited by BLite on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Nest Thermostat Plugin Available

Excellent contribution! Thanks much John.

It's also available in the File Library.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi John,

Terrific. Thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm
terrydew offline

Installed and it is working great! Thanks for the plugin.

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:26 pm
kpfriedberg offline

thanks very much for doing this. installed plugin an went through setup. got no errors but device doesn't show up. any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:39 pm
BLite offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
thanks very much for doing this. installed plugin an went through setup. got no errors but device doesn't show up. any thoughts?

Howdy,

Do you see any errors under Window, Event Log after enabling the plugin and adding a new Nest device?

Also, send me an email at johnray@mac.com and we can go through some troubleshooting and post the results back here (if that works for you).

Thanks much,
John

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:31 am
IslandLife offline

:D I was waiting for this before buying the Nest. Thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:13 am
kpfriedberg offline

John. Got it to work. what I didn't realize is that both the device name AND the name in the nest account have to match. I originally set up the device name as unique and not matching how the nest was named and id'd on my nest account. Thanks for writing this.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 am
BLite offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
John. Got it to work. what I didn't realize is that both the device name AND the name in the nest account have to match. I originally set up the device name as unique and not matching how the nest was named and id'd on my nest account. Thanks for writing this.

Hooray! :D

A useful piece of information (I just added it to the original post) is that the plugin expects the Location and Nest name to be entered exactly as they appear on the Nest site. Unfortunately, on the main Nest page everything is displayed as all caps, so if you don't recall the capitalization of the location/nest, you'll need to click into your device/location within the site to view them.
Attachments
Nest Name.png
Example of where to look on Nest.com for the Nest name
Nest Name.png (169.31 KiB) Viewed 15057 times
Location Name.png
Example of where to look on Nest.com for the location name
Location Name.png (87.08 KiB) Viewed 15057 times

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:27 am
ryanbuckner offline

John, first of all thank you so much for dedicating the time for this plugin.

I have 2 NEST thermostats called "Upstairs" and "Downstairs". When I create devices for the two, they both reflect the settings of the device I save last. That is, if I go into the settings for upstairs and save it, both the Upstairs and Downstairs devices in Indigo reflect the same numbers. Similarly if I go into downstairs settings and save that, both Indigo devices reflect identical information for the Downstairs NEST.

Has anyone else tried this plugin with more than 1 NEST?

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:36 am
BLite offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
John, first of all thank you so much for dedicating the time for this plugin.

I have 2 NEST thermostats called "Upstairs" and "Downstairs". When I create devices for the two, they both reflect the settings of the device I save last. That is, if I go into the settings for upstairs and save it, both the Upstairs and Downstairs devices in Indigo reflect the same numbers. Similarly if I go into downstairs settings and save that, both Indigo devices reflect identical information for the Downstairs NEST.

Has anyone else tried this plugin with more than 1 NEST?

Interesting. I worked with someone yesterday who had 4 Nests - they seemed to be working ok for him. The data for the Nest is pulled based on the serial number for the device (retrieved using the Nest name).

Could you email me at johnray@mac.com to see if we can work through the issue?

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:35 pm
kpfriedberg offline

I have two nests and don't report any issues other than not seeig a way to turn "away" to "home". Simply in checking the away box doesn't appear to do it.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:43 pm
BLite offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
I have two nests and don't report any issues other than not seeig a way to turn "away" to "home". Simply in checking the away box doesn't appear to do it.

Good to know. I'll see if I can fix that tonight.

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Interesting. I worked with someone yesterday who had 4 Nests - they seemed to be working ok for him. The data for the Nest is pulled based on the serial number for the device (retrieved using the Nest name).

Could you email me at johnray@mac.com to see if we can work through the issue?

Thanks!

I'll email you. Perhaps one great feature would be to allow the use of the serial number rather than the name through the device settings interface. Also, have you seen Scott Baker's nest.py python tool?

Posted on
Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:51 pm
BLite offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I'll email you. Perhaps one great feature would be to allow the use of the serial number rather than the name through the device settings interface. Also, have you seen Scott Baker's nest.py python tool?

Can you help me understand why that would be useful? Internally, the plugin uses the serial # for everything - it just grabs it from the data using the name. I swapped from using the serial number right before I released the plugin because it seemed like people would find it easier to refer to the Nests by name.

I looked at Scott's nest.py class originally and decided to write my own for a variety of reasons - no checking to see if commands were processed, hardcoded Nest attributes, and formatting JSON data manually (as opposed to just letting Python do it). I will be releasing my class shortly as a standalone project. It is far more verbose than Scott's class, but also (IMO) quite a bit more robust.

Best wishes,
John