New Plugin: ISY Insteon Controller

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 pm
bcall offline

New Plugin: ISY Insteon Controller

@bcall, the original author, has graciously given us the code to the plugin to open source. See this post for details and use that thread for any further discussion.

----------------------------------------------

This plugin integrates the ISY 99 into Indigo. It's only been tested by me, so please use caution and report any errors back here.

What it does:
- control and monitor insteon devices linked to ISY 99.
- control ISY scenes and programs
- control and monitor insteon devices at remote location over IP via ISY.
- immediate notification of insteon communication errors reported by ISY.

What it doesn't do:
- link insteon devices; create, modify or delete ISY scenes and programs.

Plugin configuration:
- debug checkbox - check to output debug info to indigo log
- event viewer menu - determine whether, and how, ISY event log info is output to indigo event log

Device creation and configuration:
- only ISY Insteon Controller devices should be created. All other device types are auto created by the plugin.
- create the ISY device in the folder in which you would like all related devices to be created. The plugin will auto create devices corresponding to the supported insteon devices linked to ISY in the same folder.
- the device config ui will automatically find any ISYs on your local network. If no ISY is found, check network connections and press the poll again button.
- select an ISY from the menu of found ISYs.
- enter your ISY username and password.
- save. The plugin will then create all devices.
- note: most devices are custom versions of the standard indigo insteon devices, so the standard indigo device ui is made available.

Device types and states:
-ISY Insteon Controller
- connectionStatus - monitors whether the plugin is connected to ISY
- badNodesList - list of devices with reported communication errors
-ISY relay, dimmer, thermostat
- standard indigo device states for the applicable type
- communicationError - Boolean reports whether device reported comm error
ISY irrigation
- each irrigation zone is treated like a separate relay (see above)
ISY IO device
- treated like a relay (see above)

Scenes:
- ISY scenes are controlled via plugin Actions

Programs:
- programs are controlled via plugin Actions
- programs can be monitored via plugin Events. The events currently supported are: (1) then fork finished running and (2) else fork finished running
- UDI is currently modifying the soap interface for programs. When they have completed this and published information regarding the new interface, it should be possible to include additional functionality.

Updating ISY Menu Item:
- once an ISY is set up, if you add or delete programs or scenes on that ISY, you should update the plugin using the "update ISY" menu item.
- the plugin is set up to automatically add or delete devices when insteon devices are linked to or unlinked from ISY. However, this updating is dependent upon information reported to the plugin via ISY over its web services subscription. If this subscription is interrupted, the plugin can become out of sync. In this case, the plugin can be manually updated using the "update ISY" menu item.
- note: if ISY reports state information for a device that is not set up in indigo (an unsupported device that has been ignored by the plugin or a newly added ISY device that the plugin did not receive notification of), the plugin will output an error message to the indigo log. This is purely for informational purposes and does not cause a problem for the plugin. If it is a supported device, simply update the plugin using the menu item and the device should be created in indigo.

Notes:
- if you would like to monitor an individual device for communication errors, created a trigger based on that devices communicationError state. The state becomes true if ISY reports a comm error and false if ISY subsequently reports that the error has been resolved (or if ISY otherwise starts sending state information for the device).
- if you would like to monitor for any comm error, create a trigger based on the ISY insteon controller device's badNodesList. Device addresses are added to the list when they have comm errors reported, and removed from the list if and when those errors are resolved. The badNodesList state is a string containing a dump of the actual list using simplejson.dumps.

Thanks to Michel Kohanim at UDI for patiently answering all my boneheaded questions about the ISY soap interface, and to Matt and Jay for answering my similarly noob questions regarding the Indigo plugin interface.

I hope someone (hopefully more than one) gets some use out of this! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d69v8cmyh93ln ... Plugin.zip

Posted on
Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: New Plugin: ISY Insteon Controller

Cool -- thanks for sharing the contribution with everyone!

Posted on
Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 am
ICONCLS offline

ISY Insteon Controller Plug-In Error

I've installed your ISY and I'm getting the following connection error:

ISY Insteon Controller Error
Failed to connect to ISY: 192.168.3.25:8080 Error: (8, 'nodename nor servname provided, or not known')

Not sure what I might be doing wrong.

Posted on
Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:50 pm
bcall offline

The plugin is set up using the ISYs standard http port (80). It appears that your ISY is using port 8080. I modified the port to see if this fixes the problem. Try this download (note: this is a different version of the plugin with the port changed).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yayhjq1a1mjgs ... Plugin.zip

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:05 pm
ICONCLS offline

Hmm, Error Persists

Regrettably, I get the same error with the port 8080 version of the plug-in.

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 pm
bcall offline

Please give me a little more detail so I can try to trace the problem. Do you have debugging turned on? Does your isy show up in the plugin's config dialog? If so, when you select the isy do its devices appear in the indigo UI? If so, please try sending an on/off command to determine whether you are able to control an isy device. My initial belief is that the error message is coming from the feedback subscription. This would effect indogo's ability to show current device states but it shouldn't effect the ability to control devices since the control uses isy's rest interface rather than the soap interface. Is there a reason your isy is using port 8080 rather than 80? There might be something more going on there that the plugin is not anticipating. Could you try using port 80 on your isy with the original plugin and let me know if you see a different result? Keep in mind that each time you swap out the plugin you'll need to delete any plugin devices created in indigo and then recreate them with the new plugin.

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:12 am
ICONCLS offline

More Info

Some preliminary testing:

--Debug is on
--The ISY does show up in the drop-down when I add it as a device, even has :8080
--Changing the ISY port back to 80 and using your original plug-in seems to work with no error.
--I have port 80 configured for my Vera; hence use 8080 for the ISY

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 pm
bcall offline

Great. At least we seem to have identified the problem. I'll try to work in more flexibility on the port. Btw- your Vera should have a separate IP address, so using port 80 for the isy at the same time you use port 80 on the Vera (with a different IP address) should not create a conflict.

Posted on
Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 pm
ICONCLS offline

Thanks.

I keep the Vera at 80 because of how I have it NAT'ed from my public IP to my private LAN.

Posted on
Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:43 am
GadgetComa offline

Is this plugin still available and working? I just got an ISY because I wanted to use Roomie Remote with Insteon. I've discovered that Indigo and ISY don't play well together. I want to keep using Indigo for things ISY can't do, but I need to figure out how to get things to behave together.

Thanks.

- Leon

Posted on
Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Slightly off topic: be sure and let the Roomie guys know that you'd like to see integration with Indigo. I've sent several emails about an integration and have yet to get a reply. The more users they hear the request from the more likely it will be that they'll reply.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:01 am
asw24b offline

Could you please post the latest download link ??

Thanks !!

Posted on
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:28 pm
oratzes offline

Really interested in this plugin. Does anybody still have a copy or a current link to it?

Unfortunately the limitations of Indigo around INSTEON scenes force me to continue to use the ISY994 for pretty much all INSTEON devices. Complex scenes with multiple controllers and responders are too difficult to setup and manage and limitations around the usage of keypad buttons prevent me to convert the vast majority of scenes in the house.

This plugin (even if only partially working) would go a long way to help me integrate Indigo with the ISY (at least until Indigo has better scene support).

Thanks!

Indigo 6.0.9, Mac Mini Server 2010 Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM, OSX 10.9.1, INSTEON PowerLinc 2413U, > 100 INSTEON - primarily dual band dimmers and keypads, ISY994iZ, Pentair Intellitouch, Autelis Pool Control, Sharp Aquos LED TV, Pioneer SC-75, ...

Posted on
Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:05 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'll email the developer again offline to see if we can get a copy of it to post.

Posted on
Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:59 am
oratzes offline

matt (support) wrote:
I'll email the developer again offline to see if we can get a copy of it to post.

Very much appreciate your help!

Indigo 6.0.9, Mac Mini Server 2010 Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM, OSX 10.9.1, INSTEON PowerLinc 2413U, > 100 INSTEON - primarily dual band dimmers and keypads, ISY994iZ, Pentair Intellitouch, Autelis Pool Control, Sharp Aquos LED TV, Pioneer SC-75, ...