Elk M1 Plugin

Posted on
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:39 pm
jcrides offline

Re: Elk M1 Plugin

I do grab all the output the Elk sends. There are some codes that I don't do anything with. If you're familiar with the Elk RS232 spec you can take a look at which ones are getting processed. If you look at the contents of the plugin there's a function called dispatchMsg in the plugin.py file that'll show which ones get processed. In elk.py and elkextra.py are functions to handle the messages.

Things getting stuck in the violated state could be a case of missing a message. I haven't really figured out the multi-threading in python so it's possible that a message could be getting processed when another comes in. In that case the second one could possibly not get processed. I haven't seen zones get stuck on my system, but I only have 7 of them. If you have a lot that change states frequently that could be what's going on.

~JC

Posted on
Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:24 pm
bmaccini offline

Hi and thanks for creating this plugin. I use my ELK output zones to control my irrigation valves. Is it possible to control the ELK outputs via the plugin?

Thanks Again!! :)

Posted on
Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 pm
jcrides offline

No, sorry the plugin isn't able to control output zones at this point. I don't use them on my system which makes it hard to code for them. With no way to test it I'd be guessing a lot.

~JC

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 pm
dabido offline

Hi there!

Does this plugin support both the M1 as well as the EZ8 board? I'm not sure which one I'm going to get, but I figured I'd ask to make sure it works with both.

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but does the plugin facilitate communication with Indigo when an alarm is triggered? i.e. Can I have an Indigo Trigger that runs an Action Group when the ELK changes from Armed to Disarmed, or likewise when an alarm is triggered?

Is there any documentation about the plugin that I can read through to learn more before I actually get my hands on an ELK panel?

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am
scotsman offline

Hmm having some problems getting this plug-in going. Using Indigo 6.0.0b7 Any suggestions?

Code: Select all
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Debug logging enabled.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Getting 'ELK M1' folder id.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Getting 'Alarm Panel' device id.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Folder id: 1645858047, Alarm Panel id: 1914098389
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Creating instance of class Elk.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Elk class instance <elk.Elk instance at 0x4719d50> created.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Initiating connection to alarm panel.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Connected to panel, sending arming state request.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Processing arming state request.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Checking for zone devices.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Startup validation disabled, not checking zones.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Checking for thermostat devices.
  ELK M1G Control Debug           Startup validation disabled, not checking thermostats.
  ELK M1G Control Error           Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 50, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/Elk Plugin.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/elk.py", line 23, in readData
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 318, in read_until
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/telnetlib.py", line 528, in fill_rawq
<class 'socket.error'>: (54, 'Connection reset by peer')

ELK M1G Control Error           plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)
  ELK M1G Control Error           EOFError: telnet connection closed
  ELK M1G Control Error           EOFError: telnet connection closed

Posted on
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm
scotsman offline

OK it seems to be working now. Still some python errors, but I am seeing the state of the zones and alarms. Great plugin.

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:47 pm
Damon Mitchell offline

Hello. By following the advice of the plugin developer and by searching other threads, I was able to get this plugin connected to my Elk M1. It populated itself with all my zones and it accurately reflects the alarm status of Area One of my Elk security setup. So far, so great. I really appreciate all the work that went into creating this.

My problem is that I have already set up my Elk system using ElkRP2 with eight areas. (This is a security system for a three unit building, with a few common spaces and a detached garage.) Indigo can react if Area One (which contains only the front exterior foyer door, in my case) goes into an "alarm=on" state, and it can send an email or flash the lights or whatever I tell it to do. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to notice if another Area goes into an "alarm=on" state. So if would-be burglars enter the garage or the basement rear door or any of the apartments via a sensor-protected window, nothing happens outside the Elk system. And the Elk system has a pretty terrible email/SMS notification capability, as well as pretty poor integration with all the Insteon switches I've installed.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem? Is there a simple solution that the original developer or someone else can code into the plugin to activate the Elk's capability of creating separate areas? Or will I have to try to reconfigure my Elk system if I want to use this plugin and Indigo to notify me and the other residents of an alarm violation. I would much prefer to keep separate areas in place, since that allows the first floor apartment to be armed and the second floor apartment to be unarmed if one resident is out and another is at home.

It would solve my problem if each Area could be treated as a separate Alarm Panel in the Indigo plugin. I'm not sure if that is possible, but it seems to me that would be ideal for my application. Maybe there is another, simpler solution that I haven't thought of. Unfortunately, I'm not a programmer so I'm really out of my element here.

Any help from anyone in the Perceptive Automation community would be greatly appreciated.

Damon Mitchell

Posted on
Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Damon,

I'm afraid I don't have any clues on this one (I don't have an Elk). You might want to try sending the developer of the plugin (forum user jcrides) a private message to see if he has any ideas. He might not have seen your post above.

Posted on
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:59 pm
jcrides offline

Just wanted to post an update that I'm not able to work on this plugin any longer as I no longer have an Elk system to work with. I moved to a new house and the landlord won't let me install one.

If someone would like to take what I've started and add additional functionality please do.

~JC

Posted on
Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 pm
scotsman offline

Oh no what a shame! It's a great plug in, and I have been using it for a while now. Thanks for what you started.

The problem I have is that now and again I just lose connection with the Elk - no warning in the event log. I have to reload the plug-in to regain connection. That's my only real gripe - but I do have just a simple Elk setup. If someone has an idea of how to fix this perhaps I can hack it.

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:33 pm
Bollar offline

scotsman wrote:
Oh no what a shame! It's a great plug in, and I have been using it for a while now. Thanks for what you started.

The problem I have is that now and again I just lose connection with the Elk - no warning in the event log. I have to reload the plug-in to regain connection. That's my only real gripe - but I do have just a simple Elk setup. If someone has an idea of how to fix this perhaps I can hack it.

Thanks!

So, I have been having the same problem. I'm evaluating Indigo and have about zero Python experience, but I found that if I modified the plugin.py code at line 127 like this:
         if 'XK' in msg:
            # logging heartbeat to elkTick variable as received (expected 30 seconds)
            indigo.variable.updateValue("elkTick", msg.rstrip())
            # logging "tick" messages from M1XEP once per hour
            if (time.localtime().tm_min % 60) == 0 and time.localtime().tm_sec < 30:
               indigo.server.log("Tick: %s" % msg.rstrip())
... then I would have a variable with the last 30 second heartbeat. From there, I added a trigger to look for a change in the elkTick variable and put in a delayed action to execute this Python script I found on this forum:
plugin = indigo.server.getPlugin("com.elkplug.indigoplugin.elkm1g")
if plugin.isEnabled():
   plugin.restart()

So, if I don't get a heartbeat from the Elk within a minute, I'll try to reload the plugin.

Otherwise, I truly know little-to-nothing about Indigo or Python, so that's the best I can do for now.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm
pgershon offline

I am having a similar problem with another plugin - needing to reload more than once/day and losing connection otherwise. Might this be an Indigo problem?

Posted on
Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:19 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Most likely not or we'd be hearing a lot more about it - it's likely a Python network issue. You have to be really careful with how you manage network connections in Python 2.5. Unless your plugin isn't using a network connection (or a serial connection which might exhibit the same problem).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:38 pm
Bollar offline

pgershon wrote:
I am having a similar problem with another plugin - needing to reload more than once/day and losing connection otherwise. Might this be an Indigo problem?

I would look for a problem with the script. In the case of the Elk PlugIn, there are certain commands that aren't expected and an error shows up in the log when I start/stop the plugin -- looks like this:
 Aug 22, 2013, 6:55:50 PM
  Schedule                        Elk Down
  Reloading plugin "ELK M1G Control 1.1.1"
  Stopping plugin "ELK M1G Control 1.1.1" (pid 23967)
  ELK M1G Control Error           Error in plugin execution shutdown:

File "plugin.py", line 37, in shutdown
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/Plugins/Elk Plugin.indigoPlugin/Contents/Server Plugin/elk.py", line 19, in disconnect
<type 'exceptions.AttributeError'>: Elk instance has no attribute 'conn'

Wish I had more time to mess with this -- the Elk has lots of cool & unique features.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm
pgershon offline

This is what I get
Aug 22, 2013 4:14:40 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-TV Room" temperature changed to 72.0

Aug 22, 2013 4:16:54 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-TV Room" temperature changed to 71.0
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-TV Room" temperature changed to 71.0

Aug 22, 2013 4:17:40 PM
  NuVo Grand Concerto Error       Error in plugin execution runConcurrentThread:

File "plugin.py", line 202, in runConcurrentThread
  File "plugin.py", line 237, in parseToServerLine
<type 'exceptions.IndexError'>: list index out of range

NuVo Grand Concerto Error       plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

File "plugin.py", line 198, in runConcurrentThread
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/serialutil.py", line 147, in readline
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/urlhandler/protocol_socket.py", line 165, in read
<class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>: connection failed ((54, 'Connection reset by peer'))

NuVo Grand Concerto Error       plugin runConcurrentThread function returned or failed (will attempt again in 10 seconds)

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/serialutil.py", line 147, in readline
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/urlhandler/protocol_socket.py", line 148, in read
<class 'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>: lost socket connection

File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/serial/urlhandler/protocol_socket.py", line 148, in read

My script runs every 30 seconds and checks the socket. All of a sudden, at random times like 4:17 PM above, the ability to communicate with the socket vanishes. It comes back when I restart my plugin. The plugin establishes communication with the GC-100 for serial data at 192.168.1.70:4999. Here is the log when I restart:

'serial.serialutil.SerialException'>: lost socket connection

Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Living Room" temperature changed to 73.0

Reloading plugin "NuVo Grand Concerto 1.1"
  Stopping plugin "NuVo Grand Concerto 1.1" (pid 20182)
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Serial Port Closed
  Stopped plugin "NuVo Grand Concerto 1.1"
  Starting plugin "NuVo Grand Concerto 1.1" (pid 80516)
  Started plugin "NuVo Grand Concerto 1.1"
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Serial Port Open at socket://192.168.1.70:4999
  NuVo Grand Concerto             found :itunes (id:1759804045)
  NuVo Grand Concerto             found :Squeezebox 1 (id:1813516515, sqid:00:04:20:05:2f:de)
  NuVo Grand Concerto             found :Squeezebox 2 (id:1593234566, sqid:00:04:20:09:01:d6)
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z11 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z03 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z13 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z02 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z06 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z09 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z04 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z01 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z10 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z07 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z14 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z08 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z05 to zonedev
  NuVo Grand Concerto             Just added: Z12 to zonedev

Aug 22, 2013 4:38:52 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Entry Foyer" off (button 1)
  Received INSTEON                "Thermostat-Entry Foyer" temperature changed to 72.0

Aug 22, 2013 4:42:17 PM
  Received INSTEON                "Thermo