GE Caddx NX-8E

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:51 am
terrydew offline

GE Caddx NX-8E

Is anyone working on a plug-in for the Caddx system? If not does anyone know of a reference to a way to capture events from this panel? I really do not want to control it but just capture zone events to use with triggers in Indigo 5

[MODERATOR NOTE] User IanS posted one in the Contribution Library.

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: GE Caddx NX-8E

I've been hoping someone would tackle this (I have an NX-8 also). Unfortunately, the Caddx protocol is pretty ugly, and adding the serial adaptor to it is non-trivial (I haven't checked to see if they have a network-based interface module for it).

I'm still tetering between trying to do the plugin myself and just adding hardware to detect zone status. I currently have an IOLinc attached to Zone 1 (which is all the outside doors) so Indigo knows when that zone opens/closes. Don't do much with it yet because the Caddx is still the primary alarm system. I'm (not actively) looking for a hardware device that can monitor all 6 zones and then I'll decide if I want to replace the Caddx with a completely Indigo-based solution or not.

I also like having 3rd party monitoring so I need to contact my current provider and see if they will accept some other notification (email, sms, etc.). I suspect they will but don't know for sure.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am
terrydew offline

Thanks for the input Jay.

My research shows a NX 590 IP module but the best I can tell it has a propritary output only readable by central stations. The serial connection would be would be tough for someone that knows what they are doing and close to impossible for me. I have even considered swapping panels for the ELKM1 but not sure if I can combine the iys99 and Indigo as I want Indigo to be my main system. I know there are plug-ins for DSC and Ademco but they look very similar to the caddx and if I am going to spend the $ I would want to step up in system capability. I guess I just need to be patient (something I am not good at) and wait for someone to do one for the Elk or the Caddx.

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 am
IanS offline

Hi Guys,

Here is a beta working version of the Caddx NX-8e plugin I have been working on. It is a comprehensive protocol implementation of Caddx NX-584 RS-232 Gateway Interface Protocol (April 2000) spec.

It is still in beta but it has been operating in a stable manner with a NX-8e (firmware 5.38) with 40 zones for the last 2 months.

The serial interface is pretty easy to get working.

I did write some instructions but lost them on submit because the system logged out. I can write them again if there is interest in using the plugin.

The system will not allow be to attach the Caddx plugin .zip file so I can not upload. What other way is there?

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:06 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Submit it to the File Library, where people go to find things... ;)

Guess I'm going to have to figure out how to install that serial board now... :?

It would be nice to have a list of features and a simple overview of how to use it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 am
terrydew offline

I am interested in using the plugin.

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:27 am
IanS offline

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay, having problems with my mac.

I have posted the Caddx Alarm Plugin in the User Contribution Library under Hardware Integration. There is an overview, Installation instructions for the plugin and the Alarm panel configuration settings (NX-8e). A description of devices and actions.

For the NX-8, the NX-584 serial board has the same configuration as the NX-8e but the memory locations are different.

NX-8 (NX-584 board) NX-8e
location 0 location 209 Home Automation Protocol
location 1 location 208 Serial Port Baud Rate
location 2 location 210 Transition Based Broadcasts
location 3 location 211 Command / Request Enabled
location 4 location 212 LCD Keypad Address "192" Keypad "1" Partition "1"

The serial interface is a 3 wire only connection 2 (Tx) , 3 (Rx) and 7 (Ground).

Let me know how you get on.

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 am
terrydew offline

Hi IanS

I must be slow but I can not find your plugin. I do not see it listed and when I search for caddx, it says one item found but the item isn't displayed. It is like the file is flagged to be hidden?

Jay, Is there something I have to do in the Forum to access this file? I am signed in.

Ideas?

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I just sent Ian an email - we're only allowing "final" quality plugins in the File Library. I've suggested an alternative way to distribute it so he should be posting an update here soon.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:13 pm
terrydew offline

I know there is a reason, but shouldn't there be an area for betas to be uploaded so that they could be identified as such. Would be easier if everything was in one place.

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We don't have the infrastructure to handle 3rd party "betas" - much like Apple doesn't in the App Store. The developer can get a free Dropbox.com account that would work nicely for betas though...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:00 am
IanS offline

Hi Terry,

Can you send me your email address and I will send the plugin file and supporting documentation directly to you.

Cheers,

Posted on
Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:55 am
terrydew offline

IanS wrote:
Hi Terry,

Can you send me your email address and I will send the plugin file and supporting documentation directly to you.

Cheers,

It is on the way. Let me know if you do not receive.

Posted on
Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm
Skeeter offline

Hi -

I would like to take a look at this if it is still around. Let me know where to look or where to find it.

thanks!

Posted on
Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ian - you never posted a link to the plugin and we've had a few asking about it. You want to upload it to the File Library or post a download link?

Jay (Indigo Support)