Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 5000-Series

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:48 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 5000-Series

If you can wait a couple of days, I will bundle the library with the plugin so you won't have to do anything. Will be easier for all of us. Just need to get in front of my computer for a few minutes.

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:51 am
nlagaros offline

The ElementTree plugin is now included as part of the package. There is no need to install that independently.

Download page here: https://vulture.lagaros.com/wiki/pages/76n6u45/Ted_5000_Plugin.html

Posted on
Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm
keifer1 offline

Just FYI the link is bad on the forum, I found the file and look forward to trying it out.

Thank you
Keith

Computer Keith
Mt Pleasant SC - Charleston
Indi-Go -Go-Go

Posted on
Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am
Fishysan offline

This is probably a safer link for those looking for it;
https://vulture.lagaros.com/wiki/projec ... ation.html

Then the 5000 link and you are off to the races.

No TED here, though considering one. ;)

Posted on
Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 am
nlagaros offline

Thanks for replying. I revamped the web site for all these plugins. Additionally, the thread for this plugin and others can be found here: http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=20

Posted on
Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:28 pm
puppycrack offline

FYI:
It appears the link/button to download the zip file does not work in Chrome. I tried on an older version on Ubuntu, and a recent version on OSX (23.0.1271.101), and clicking the d/l link does nothing. It works fine in Firefox & Safari though.

Posted on
Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:42 pm
hamw offline

Just got a TED 5000. Pretty neat, and the plugin works great. Could some folks who are using this plugin post some example iPhone and iPad pages?

Thanks, Nick!

Posted on
Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:31 am
nlagaros offline

Thanks for your support Ham! I don't have any good looking control page unfortunately - all I do is spit out current readings.

hamw wrote:
Just got a TED 5000. Pretty neat, and the plugin works great. Could some folks who are using this plugin post some example iPhone and iPad pages?

Thanks, Nick!

Posted on
Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 am
hamw offline

I'm trying to write a script to calculate my energy usage as Georgia has a bunch of taxes, fuel surcharges, etc that may not be accounted for in the Footprints software. I'm putting the projected KWH into a variable and then multiplying by the various factors (n.b.: then numbers are not quite right yet...).

Code: Select all
tell application "IndigoServer"
   set MTD_KWH to value of variable "TED_5000_MTD_Proj"
   set MTD to (characters 1 through 4 of variable "MTD_KWH") as number
   try
      set MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost to (MTD * 1.4577)
      set MTD_KWH_Recovery to (MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost * 1.1527)
      set MTD_KWH_Total_Cost to (MTD_KWH_Recovery * 1.08)
   end try

log MTD_KWH
   log MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost
   log MTD_KWH_Recovery
   log MTD_KWH_Total_Cost
end tell

However, I can't get the script to work as it won't make 4323 KWH into a number and throws this error:

error "Can’t make characters 1 thru 5 of variable \"MTD_KWH\" of application \"IndigoServer\" into type number." number -1700 from characters 1 thru 5 of «class Vrbl» "MTD_KWH" to number

How do I make that into a number? Sorry for the simple question!

Posted on
Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:45 am
nlagaros offline

I don't do applescript, but think that it can be done more simply in python. I did a test by setting up a trigger that will file when there is a state change for the desired TED variable.

In my case, my device name is "TED 5000". I trigger on "PowerMTD - Total" has any change and execute the following script as an action:

d1 = indigo.devices["TED 5000"]
v1 = float(d1.states["PowerMTD_Total"][:-4]) * 1.5

indigo.variable.updateValue(1535694674, value=str(v1))

The 1.5 would be replace with your multiplier. The number in the updateValue statement is the ID of the variable you want to update.

Hope this helps.

hamw wrote:
I'm trying to write a script to calculate my energy usage as Georgia has a bunch of taxes, fuel surcharges, etc that may not be accounted for in the Footprints software. I'm putting the projected KWH into a variable and then multiplying by the various factors (n.b.: then numbers are not quite right yet...).

tell application "IndigoServer"
   set MTD_KWH to value of variable "TED_5000_MTD_Proj"
   set MTD to (characters 1 through 4 of variable "MTD_KWH") as number
   try
      set MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost to (MTD * 1.4577)
      set MTD_KWH_Recovery to (MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost * 1.1527)
      set MTD_KWH_Total_Cost to (MTD_KWH_Recovery * 1.08)
   end try

log MTD_KWH
   log MTD_KWH_Times_FuelCost
   log MTD_KWH_Recovery
   log MTD_KWH_Total_Cost
end tell

However, I can't get the script to work as it won't make 4323 KWH into a number and throws this error:

error "Can’t make characters 1 thru 5 of variable \"MTD_KWH\" of application \"IndigoServer\" into type number." number -1700 from characters 1 thru 5 of «class Vrbl» "MTD_KWH" to number

How do I make that into a number? Sorry for the simple question!

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:19 am
GeorgeC offline

I just installed this Plugin, it seemed to install fine (showed up in the Indigo Plugin list). However, I have no idea how to get any of the variables into Indigo. I have created a variable called TED5000 (it shows up, but greyed out).
Do I somehow need to provide the TED gateway address to the plugin?
And then, to pull in one of the variables, such as current power, do I embed a bit of applescript in a schedule (set myPower to variable "PowerNow"). What am I missing?

Sorry for an obvious newby question, I'm not a programmer and looked all over the forum for some guidance.

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:39 am
GeorgeC offline

Sorry, in last post I meant to say I created a Device (not variable) TED5000, and a variable called myPower. I want to read the TED5000 current power reading into this variable.

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 am
GeorgeC offline

Figured it out. I goofed in the device setup, and failed to enter the proper IP address. Now I can access all variables. Very cool plugin! Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:28 pm
Indy_Larry offline

I am interested in doing home energy monitoring as well. I've been looking at the TED Pro Home system. Do you think this plugin would work using the TED Spyder to do individual room monitoring?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry

Insteon, Z Wave, Hue, Sonos

Posted on
Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:10 am
nlagaros offline

I don't think it would work without modification. The XML output for the Spyder is likely different than the basic TED 5000. With some help, I could create a new device type in the plugin to support the Spyder. I would need the XML output files.

Indy_Larry wrote:
I am interested in doing home energy monitoring as well. I've been looking at the TED Pro Home system. Do you think this plugin would work using the TED Spyder to do individual room monitoring?

Thanks,

Larry