Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 5000-Series

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm
peppop offline

Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 5000-Series

Last edited by peppop on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:11 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Request for plugin - TED Energy Detective

User jamus is working on one already - there's an early release available. Check the "Plugins in Development" forum to see what others are working on. It's also already on the plugin wish list wiki page.

And, the "Search" link above is your friend... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:22 pm
peppop offline

Re: Request for plugin - TED Energy Detective

jay wrote:
User jamus is working on one already - there's an early release available. Check the "Plugins in Development" forum to see what others are working on. It's also already on the plugin wish list wiki page.

And, the "Search" link above is your friend... :D

Sorry I didn't see it and I just looked at the wish list. Thanks.

That is not a Ted-5000 plugin. We need ted-5000 plugin IP based.

Posted on
Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 pm
nlagaros offline

Re: Request for plugin - TED Energy Detective 5000-series

I put together a very basic plugin for the TED 5000. I have not written a plugin before and am new to python so please excuse the simplicity of the code.

Please beta-test this for me and let me know if there is anything I need to correct.

The plugin requires the ElementTree library. Please reference the following page to download the library and plugin:

https://vulture.lagaros.com/wiki/pages/76n6u45/Ted_5000_Plugin.html

Posted on
Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:32 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Request for plugin - TED Energy Detective 5000-series

Looks good to me (although I don't have a TED to test it against)! I've updated this forum thread name and moved it to the Plugins in Development sub-forum. I'll also update the wiki page to break the TED plugins out into 2 rows.

Posted on
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 pm
blakekrone offline

Re: Plugin for TED (The Energy Detective) 5000-Series

I have this up and running and it seems to be working well. Can you expose the line voltage data in the plugin?

Also, my monthly projected total cost is all messed up, but it does display correctly in footprints and such. In Indigo it display as $-21474831

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:42 am
nlagaros offline

I found some peculiarities with my TED this week where Footprints actually had some crazy historic data that was screwing up the results. It was on a secondary MTU - so the totals were way off. I'm happy to check your LiveData.xml file to see if there is something reporting incorrectly. The TED plugin does not do much magic - it is simply manually searching for each variable in the file and doing some simple manipulation. I checked the projected spend and it is consistent with the rest.

I'm also adding the voltage variables - should have an update this weekend.

Posted on
Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:02 pm
blakekrone offline

I figured out how to add the voltage, wasn't too bad. Guess I was expecting something more robust, but that element tree code is pretty slick.

TED support told me to reset my totals because sometimes that happens after doing a firmware upgrade, so I did reset my totals and now everything seems to be showing up nicely.

Posted on
Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:58 am
nlagaros offline

I also reset my totals yesterday - first time I've had to do this in a while. It could be relating to my recent updating of the firmware. I'm pretty current on the recent beta releases.

Glad you were able to augment the code. For all others, I've updated the plugin with most of the voltage readings.

Download page here: https://vulture.lagaros.com/wiki/pages/76n6u45/Ted_5000_Plugin.html

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:46 pm
bbruck offline

For us non-programmers in the crowd, can someone post the step by step instructions for loading this plugin?

Start with how to load elementtree after one unzips it?

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:44 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not sure why it's required - there are about 3 different XML libraries built-in to Python which are all quite easy to use. Worst comes to worst, you can just include it in the plugin itself so the end-user doesn't have to install anything. Nicholas?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:14 pm
nlagaros offline

Sorry for the delay. I chose ElementTree because I found it simple to use (for a non-developer). I am a rookie when it comes to python and xml -- so it seemed easier. I suppose I could have used something built-in.

To install from source, simply unpack the distribution archive, change to the distribution directory, and run the setup.py script as follows:
$ python setup.py install

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:17 pm
nlagaros offline

Good idea Jay - next update, I will include the necessary files from the ElementTree install. I think it is just one file in the end.

Posted on
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm
bschollnick2 offline

nlagaros wrote:
Good idea Jay - next update, I will include the necessary files from the ElementTree install. I think it is just one file in the end.

It's easy enough to bundle it with the application... I have done it in the past, if you run into any problems, please just drop me a line...

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm
bbruck offline

Thanks nlagaros

As I'm not a python person, perhaps you can tell me - will I need to run this setup.py from the terminal again ever? If I reboot my computer?