CCT LED strip controller

Posted on
Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:05 am
siclark offline

CCT LED strip controller

After a crash course in Python and a lot of trial and error, as well as being able to learn a lot from FlyingDiver's Masquerade plugin, my first plugin is now on Github in Beta

Its designed for the niche case where an RGBW module is used to control a 2 white colour CCT LED strip. At the moment we either have to control 2 separate devices that are made on the Fibaro device, or use the main one but which only allows RGB to be set. You also end up with one of the white channels wired into a colour channel.

My goal here was to have a device that could be added into the Homekit plugin and have white temp set from there. However that requires changes on the Homekit plugin, and potentially on my plugin side too.

For now I have set this up as a 2 white colour device that controls the main Fibaro RGB device for brighness and power, and 2 of the 4 channel devices that can be set, depending on how you have it wired. It works as Masquerade in that any changes on the fibaro devices feed back into this plugin device to keep it in sync.

The immediate benefit should be that you can now set actions on this device to set the warm and cool white temps, but there is still work to be done to make that work. Only the warm temp is set for now.

I also would like to be able to give the option to make this a single white termperature device and allow the temps of each white channel to be set in config so that a forumula can be used to determine what levels each white channel should be on to get the right colour temperature. This might challenge my programming skills, but I am worried this will be required to make it work with Homekit.

I hope this is of use to someone else. I am sure there will be some more questions later as I look to improve it, but for now its been a great learning experience, in how indigo works in more detail, in python, and in github.

All comments gratefully received.

Page 1 of 1