OmniLink plugin for HAI/Leviton Omni security systems

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:24 pm
gazally offline

OmniLink plugin for HAI/Leviton Omni security systems

I've been working on a plugin to let Indigo talk to my Omni security system for the last couple of months, and it is now past the proof of concept stage. It can connect to an Omni controller over Ethernet and automatically create Indigo devices for the security zones and monitor their status.

My security system is an Omni IIe with firmware version 3.15. In theory, the plugin should be able to talk to the OmniPro II, as well as the Lumina and Lumina Pro, as long as they are running firmware versions 2.4 or newer. Give it a try, and let me know how it goes.

The HAI Developer Support people never got back to me on my application to join their developer program, but I found an open-source Java library called jomnilinkII which is a comprehensive implementation of the Omni Link II Ethernet protocol, and was able to get it running within an Indigo plugin, so it looks like most or all of the functionality of the Omni systems is potentially available to Indigo. And that is a long list of features. I'll be working on the parts that interest me the most, but if anybody else would like to collaborate on this, let me know and I'll help you get started.

The plugin download and installation instructions can be found here: https://github.com/gazally/indigo-omnilink

Posted on
Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: OmniLink plugin for HAI/Leviton Omni security systems

Excellent! I know there have been a few extremely vocal people over the years calling for this plugin.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:58 pm
gazally offline

It took two months, but HAI finally sent me a login for their developer program, so now I have actual documentation to work from. It looks easier to read than the Java source code for jomnilinkII that I have been using. Which is well-commented and well-organized, but I don't know Java and I'm trying to avoid learning it. :P

I have updated the link above with my recent progress. A crashing bug is fixed and the plugin now has a list of trigger events based on notifications from the controller (phone line dead, battery low, etc) and an action to check if a security code is valid.

Posted on
Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:17 pm
lvrouter offline

This is excellent! I have an OmniPro II system (3.14a Firmware) and am running Indigo on a dedicated MacMini (one of several in the equipment room). While relatively new to Indigo, I've been working with home automation since I built my home almost 14 years ago (and before with smaller homes). I'm a programmer by trade but a bit "old school" so Python is new to me. Using what others have done with Indigo as inspiration, my ultimate goal is to replace my HAI keypads and use mostly iPads. I also have a 40" monitor running showing a floorplan of my house with real-time indicators.

This was the "last piece" of the puzzle. I've achieved integration with the HAI system using HAIKU Helper as an "intermediate", then AppleScript triggered by schedules in Indigo to poll the HAI for status of lights, zones, alarm status, etc. It works surprisingly well but, of course, is NOT real-time like your plugin and the polling does seem to overwhelm the controller if done to frequently.

I have about 1,400 lines of code in my HAI system doing automation, scheduling, HVAC control, security, just about everything you can imagine. My goal is to get everything, except the basic security and alarm functions, off the OmniPro and into Indigo where there is much more flexibility.

While I can't be a lot of help on the programming, I'm willing to assist in whatever else you might need, at the very least I can provide a reasonably large test site. My OmniPro II has six keypads, 25 alarm zones, six auxiliary zones (garage doors, etc.), 18 smoke detectors, 14 water sensors, four motion sensors, six thermostats and roughly seventy "switches", mostly Insteon with a few remaining X-10 switches (just haven't got around to changing them). Of course the OmniPro uses X10 which, for now, is working perfectly but my goal is to go 100% Insteon and I'm getting close to that with Indigo.

I have your plugin working and it seems to be very stable. Although it only gives me zone status and a few controller alarms, they are at least "real time", almost instant. Much improved over my periodic polling process I was using previously.

I look forward to you adding the additional functionality (arming status, alarm status, etc.) and I would REALLY love to have thermostat control to set temperatures and modes. I can do it now with HAIKU Helper but it's clunky, at best. If I had to suggest priorities, I'd say: arming status and thermostats would be the two big things. Not sure what else is really needed since Indigo can do most everything else without the Omni.

Anything I can do to help testing and/or push you forward, please let me know, either on the forum or via PM.

Thanks ... Brian

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:32 am
gazally offline

Hi Brian,
It helps to know someone else is out there! Thank you for offering to be a test site, and I'll be taking you up on that at some point hopefully soon. I have been working on the plugin and have it just about ready for another version. It's unfortunately going to make you delete and re-create all your zone devices because I changed them to be Indigo's sensor devices instead of totally custom plugin devices. The advantage to the change is that they will integrate much better with other features in Indigo such as Virtual Devices. But Indigo doesn't give plugins any way to change the device class without changing the device number, so you'll have to fix up your dependencies.

I'll get that update uploaded, and then arming status is next on my list too.

Posted on
Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 pm
lvrouter offline

That's not a problem, I've become very fast at building control screens. Just glad to hear you're still working on it. Look forward to the update and, of course, I'll test it with my system.

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 am
gazally offline

Version 0.3.0 of the plugin is now available at https://github.com/gazally/indigo-omnilink.

If you have used this plugin before, you will need to delete and recreate your zone devices. If you have dependencies on them, the Remove button in the Define and Sync dialog will delete your dependencies without warning you that it's going to do that. So it's probably better to delete them from the Delete... button in the Indigo Home window.

Important: If the only place you have your encryption key stored is in Indigo, copy it down before you install the new version, which will make you type it in again. This version stores it in your keychain instead of the Indigo database. I think that's a more appropriate place for a piece of information that could allow someone to arm or disarm your security system.

Changes:
    - If you are using Leviton's Snap-Link app to communicate with a remote Omni system, you can now use the same connection parameters (hostname, port and encryption keys) to connect to it using this plugin. Both the plugin and Snap-Link can connect at the same time.

- The encryption keys are now stored in your keychain instead of in the Indigo database.

- The plugin can connect to multiple controllers at once.

- Reconnecting works now and is done in a separate thread so it will not slow down other tasks, so feel free to reboot your router.

- Zone devices now use Indigo's Sensor Device class.

-Switches and relays, which Omni calls "control units", are implemented as Dimmer/Relay devices. On and off should work but dimming is unlikely to work correctly, because I only have relays hooked up to mine and because there are different possible dimmer types and it's not clear to me from the documentation how you get the controller to tell you what type you have.

-There are now actions to silence or beep keypads. Keypad names are not stored in the controller so you'll just have to experiment to find out which keypad number corresponds to which keypad.

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 am
lvrouter offline

Great news ... I'll give it a thorough workout after my "day job"!

Posted on
Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:40 pm
lvrouter offline

After two days of operation, it's been completely stable. Zone status works great and is instantaneous. Only issue is with "controls", i.e. trying to turn on or off a device (which I honestly don't even need since I can do all of that within Indigo). Trying to turn a device on/off logs a "off request failed" message in the log.

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:05 am
kpstew offline

Good morning... I just downloaded the plugin and keep getting errors when it try's to connected to my Omni Pro II version 3.14A.

I keep getting please enter encryption key part 1 and 2, but I know I have the right codes as well as IP address and Ports.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I know it works because I have configured Snaplink from the Manufacture and recently HomeSeer which also asks for the codes, but I am a Mac persona and really want to move away from Windows Integration's.

Regards,
Kevin

Posted on
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:52 pm
espressodaily offline

I've been running Indigo and the OmniLink plugin for about a year. Just recently, the plugin has stopped working. The log says:
OmniLink Error Unable to communicate with jomnilinkII library
OmniLink Error [controller] Could not get status of Omni Controller

The network connection to the Omni is functional. I wonder if new MacOS auto update broke things?
MacOs Mojave 10.14.6

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 pm
kellermix offline

Omni link plugin works great.
Is there a way to see what the alarm state is like : Enabled/Away/Night/Day/Disabled?
If I set up a new trigger I only get a handful options see attachment.it would be great to see all Omni Pro 2 data like: doors secure or motion sensors.
Is there a way to set up triggers differently in the omni pro software that more data points become visible in Indigo?
In the indigo device list I see all doors and motion sensors but the alarm enable and disable is missing.
Thanks, Michael
Attachments
Omnipro2.png
Omnipro2.png (163.18 KiB) Viewed 3758 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:49 pm
lvrouter offline

I've been using this for a couple of years, it does work on the newest MacOS and the latest Indigo (7.4 I think).

I set a trigger (actually a few triggers) that look for a Device State Change, Omni Area, "Mode:" which gets set to Off, Day, Night, etc. based on the alarm being armed or disarmed.

Then that trigger looks at a variable that I had previously set so it knows what the status change is (i.e. going from away to off or day to night) to do other stuff. Based on which way it's going other stuff gets set and triggered (HVAC, lighting, etc.).

I also setup a Device Group containing all doors and one containing all windows so I know immediately if anything is open without checking all devices.

Does this help?

Page 1 of 1