IFTTT Action plugin

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:20 am
jmdraper offline

IFTTT Action plugin

I've created my first ever plugin: a really simple plugin that creates an action in Indigo to trigger IFTTT recipes through the IFTTT Maker Channel. It's one way only (i.e. you can trigger IFTTT recipes from Indigo but not Indigo events from IFTTT recipes - clearly that would require either a proper IFTTT channel for Indigo or some way to work around the authentication issues for the Maker channel).

Since I was using this to teach myself both how to write plugins and Python at the same time, I started with the Pushover plugin and adapted it. It seems to work. The plugin config allows you to enter your IFTTT Maker channel API key and then the action UI allows you to specify the event name and 3 values to pass with the event. You then just create a recipe in IFTTT to trigger whatever you want from that and use the values however you see fit.

Version 0.32 can be downloaded from here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mz6qh00n3gtj ... mmCLa?dl=0
Basic usage instructions here: https://sites.google.com/site/jonsindig ... ion-plugin

Enjoy!

Changelog:

v0.2 - you should now be able to use variable and device state substitution using the Indio %% syntax in the 3 parameters passed to IFTTT
v0.32 - variable and device substitution now actually works (there was a bug in v0.2)
Last edited by jmdraper on Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:11 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: IFTTT Action plugin

BTW, thanks for the contribution. I must have missed your initial post - sorry about that.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:07 pm
dnomode offline

I just tried a simple recipe to send me an SMS whenever the recipe is triggered, however I can't seem to get this working. I got my key entered into the plugin correctly and created an action with the same event name in indigo and then on the IFTTT website. When the Action is executed in indigo, nothing seems to happen on the IFTTT website. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Edmond

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 am
jmdraper offline

Apologies if this is a silly suggestion but have you tried triggering the same recipe with some other completely different trigger? Just to make sure the SMS from IFTTT bit is working OK?

Do you get entries in the Indigo event log when you trigger the event?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:18 am
jmdraper offline

Also if you check the recipe logs on IFTTT, does it show the trigger being received by IFTTT?

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:08 am
dnomode offline

I just tried to use the SMS recipe using a different trigger and it works great.

Yes the Indigo logs show the event.

Any other ideas?

Edmond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:10 am
dnomode offline

The IFTTT logs state that the recipe has never run.

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:22 pm
jmdraper offline

That's weird. I just created a test recipe called test that sends me an SMS to completely recreate your setup and all works well for me. Only things I can think of are whether you definitely copied and pasted the API key correctly with no extra trailing or leading spaces, and that in the Indigo event you remembered to select the API key in the drop-down menu marked Maker Channel API Key. And of course the value of the event name field in the Indigo action config (the name of the action itself in Indigo does't matter) is the same as the IFTTT recipe but you already mentioned that.

Sorry I can't think of any other obvious things to try. Being very new to plugin development and having to teach myself Python as I went, adding debug logging was beyond my capabilities I'm afraid.

Jon

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:41 pm
Shutter offline

I had a similar issue at first. The event name mustn't have any spaces, so my test trigger looks like this on IFTTT:
Code: Select all
If Maker Event "Front_Door_Open", then send me an email…

Could that be it?

Simon

Posted on
Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:50 pm
dnomode offline

Shutter wrote:
I had a similar issue at first. The event name mustn't have any spaces, so my test trigger looks like this on IFTTT:

Could that be it?

Simon

Yup, that was it. Thx Simon

And thx to you Jon for this plugin. Im using it to turn on and off my Ecobee 3

Edmond

Posted on
Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:54 am
jmdraper offline

Great - thanks Simon and glad you got it working Edmond. :)

Posted on
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 am
Japple55 offline

This is awesome! Thanks for creating it, Jon. Opens up all kinds of possibilities!
Jim

Posted on
Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 am
JustinBlue offline

I use this awesome whey protein while working out and had a similar issue at first. The event name mustn't have any spaces, so my test trigger looks like this on IFTTT:

Could that be it?

Simon

Awesome Simon. This really helped me out. I was stuck for hours trying to figure out why I wasn't getting any notifications!
Last edited by JustinBlue on Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:03 pm
ricwilson offline

Re: IFTTT Action plugin won't load in Indigo 6 / OS X 10.11.

Hi, is anyone else running this plugin in Indigo 6? I'm unable to install it. Thanks! ric

Posted on
Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:46 am
jmdraper offline

Hi yes it was developed for Indigo 6 and I do have it running. What happens when you try to install?