Consensus on easy geolocating / fencing with iPhone?

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 12:05 am
dlleon offline

Consensus on easy geolocating / fencing with iPhone?

Ever since Find my iDevices quit working, I've been looking for an easy solution.

I need something that can track two iPhone 6 units. I had variables set for each iPhone:

If MyiPhone is w/i 3 miles of my house, then MyiPhone is "home"
if WifesiPhone is within 3 miles, the Wifeiphone is "home"
If Myiphone and Wifes phone are "home" then Allphones="home"

There were different triggers depending if one or both are home.

I have the same setup for "vacation" if the phones are more than 100 miles from home.

I had a few triggers (set Nest to away, vacation lighting schedules, etc.)

I'm looking for something that can geo track the iPhones and set a variable. I've played with Geofency, Geofancy & Geohopper. I'm hoping there's something easier.

Before i reinvent the wheel, what is everyone else doing?

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 am
kw123 offline

Re: Consensus on easy geolocating / fencing with iPhone?

I am using a combination of:

1. fingscan for iphone device
2. mother/cookie

Home: at least one needs to be home/online/present
away; both need to be away/offline

Positive: seems to work fine:
== the cookie sends a "ping" to mother every minute when the last one was successfully received. If not it sends one every 12seconds. After ~ 3 minutes mother assumes that cookie is not present/ is away.
== fingscan with proper router can detect an offline iPhone in seconds and a returning one in 2-3 seconds as well. Issue is that sometimes it goes offline and FINGSCAN thinks it is away.
== by combining these 2 I did not have a false "away" state yet.
== coming home it takes a bout 3-15 seconds for the cookie->mother ->mac signal to propagate and set the state back to home. The iPhone when the home button is pressed will connect to wifi in ~ 2 seconds, when not pressed it takes some minutes.

In summary: no false away state;; home --> away ~ 3 minutes ;; away --> home in 3--15 seconds without action, with iPhone button press: 2 seconds.

Negative: you need 2 devices, but the cookie is very small. AND one mother+cookies costs ~ $300(*) and you likely need 2+ if your home is a little bigger.

Karl
(*) there are used mother/cookies on eBay for $ 150--200

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

Re: Consensus on easy geolocating / fencing with iPhone?

When I had an iPhone I used Find My Friends to send an email, then used Mail Rules on our Mac Mini to launch Applescripts to talk to Indigo. I know, it sounds pretty round-about, but it's actually quite reliable. 2 other people in my house still use this method, and it's discussed more here

Page 1 of 1