Slack Notify - Indigo Notification Plugin for Slack

Posted on
Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:10 am
achterberg offline

Slack Notify - Indigo Notification Plugin for Slack

Plugin for one of the internet's current poster children, Slack

Posting a message like:

*f.lux* _set_ to %%v:159384927%%\n`And this is a line displayed as code.`\n:bulb: <https://slack.com>

results in the following eye candy:

Optionally uploading an image with the message.
The plugin will also optionally upload a local file (e.g., the indigo log) to Slack.

The plugin is here, with instructions. Discussions should probably remain in this forum post though. Feel free to clone, make changes, and issue a pull request. I'm new to GitHub but this way, hopefully, contributions and improvements will be seemless. I am not a python developer, and this plugin is guaranteed to break in production :D . The code is a mess (PEP 8, what?). It works for me so far, but not every feature (Indigo and Slack) has been tested thoroughly. I'll try to fix things as they come up. I "borrowed" code snippets from other plugins and have attempted to provide credit.

For a simple python script:
Added to an embedded or external python script and with a few custom icons uploaded to Slack it will produce output like:

Posted on
Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Slack Notify - Indigo Notification Plugin for Slack

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing it.

Now I have another reason to try out Slack. :-)

Posted on
Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:49 pm
achterberg offline

Thanks. I was wanting to explore writing a plugin and since I am hardware poor, I thought it was a good target. Maybe easier than a device plugin I think. To anyone wanting to develop a plugin, there is a learning curve, like everything, but there are plenty of examples and good documentation to do so.

Posted on
Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:30 pm
willidiots offline

Thanks for writing this! Just installed it and working great. One question - for device values, where do I find the state key?

Posted on
Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm
petematheson offline

Thanks for this!

Worth updating the installation notes as getting the Team Key has changed since you last documented it I believe. I had to search around and go to the 'Legacy API' section.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am
henkjanvries offline

I was wondering if it was possbile to create input a variable into the file field for a path.
Im creating small movs from the camera monitoring the frontdoor, but the path to that file is interchangeable based on time.
So what i did was create a trigger that generates the filepath and put that into a variable.
If than can add the variable to the file, it can than be uploaded along the slack post.

Is this something that is easy to do? Would you prefer certain path formats?

loving to hear whats possible.

Posted on
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:41 am
henkjanvries offline

I cant seem to add a file at all. if i add the path to the file, logs show it uploads, but i dont receive anything in Slack.

any clues?

Posted on
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:54 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

This plugin has now been added to the Plugin Store. The original developer is no longer directly supporting it so we moved it into the Indigo Domotics repo on GitHub. If you want to report issues you can report them here or in the Issue tracker for the repo. Note, however, that we do not maintain the plugin, we're only hosting it. If someone wants to make changes then just fork, change, and submit a pull request on GitHub and we'll get a new release into the plugin store.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:09 pm
FlyingDiver offline

It appears that Slack has changed the authentication method used for the Slack API. Or that their webpages have changed enough that the instructions with the plugin don't match up anymore.

If there's anyone currently using this plugin who can help clarify how to set it up, please comment on this issue: https://github.com/IndigoDomotics/slack-notify/issues/1

Otherwise, I have it on my to-do list to get this working with the current authentication scheme. Alternatively, I might rewrite it to use the current Slack API and Python library.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1