New NEST Plugin ready for general use

Posted on
Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:26 pm
mikeL offline

Re: New NEST Plugin ready for general use

Yes, you do need to turn on debugging for the Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin so that it writes out the "Invalid message" error that the script is looking for.

Wow, I'm surprised that debugging messages would amount to 8+ MB of data in 16 hours! I don't know what you can do with the log file to prevent the overflow. Maybe this is a question for the Perceptive Automation guys.

Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:16 pm
TheTechnoPilot offline

Hi all, just a quick touchbase on switching back to Fahrenheit to get the plugin able to change the temp and not just read the output. Yes this worked, however I definitely only consider this a temporary fix as Celcius is definitely what it should be for my Canadian home automation.

Android's Tasker, to a person who does home automation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Posted on
Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:58 pm
Alphaman offline

Found this error in the Nest plugin running today.

Code: Select all
2014-12-03 08:05:22.243   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin   obtained a structure update... going to process: {u'measurement_scale': u'imperial', u'hvac_safety_shutoff_enabled': True, u'eta_preconditioning_active': False, u'creation_time': 1386119165966L, u'renovation_date': u'2010', u'postal_code': u'zip', u'country_code': u'US', u'dr_reminder_enabled': False, u'serial': u'408a6db0-5c80-11e3-90e5-blahblahblah', u'away_timestamp': 1417637113856L, u'structure_area': 232.25800000000001, u'away': True, u'swarm': [u'device.02AA01somenumber'], u'fabric_ids': [], u'away_setter': 1, u'$timestamp': u'1417615522198', u'num_thermostats': u'2', u'clutches': [], u'topaz_enhanced_auto_away_enabled': False, u'user': u'user.me', u'touched_by': {}, u'house_type': u'family', u'name': u'myhome', u'$version': u'-5453', u'time_zone': u'America/Chicago', u'devices': [u'device.02AA01somenumber']}
2014-12-03 08:05:22.385   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   Error in the NEST Message Processing:
2014-12-03 08:05:22.412   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   <type 'exceptions.KeyError'>
2014-12-03 08:05:22.441   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 266, in handleUpdateStatusNotification
    self.processStructureNotification(message)
  File "plugin.py", line 250, in processStructureNotification
    if deviceAwayMode != isAway and nestDevice.pluginProps["deviceLocationName"] == structureLocationName:
KeyError: 'key deviceLocationName not found in dict'

--
  File "plugin.py", line 266, in handleUpdateStatusNotification
    self.processStructureNotification(message)
  File "plugin.py", line 250, in processStructureNotification
    if deviceAwayMode != isAway and nestDevice.pluginProps["deviceLocationName"] == structureLocationName:
KeyError: 'key deviceLocationName not found in dict'

2014-12-03 08:05:22.498   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   Error while processing a message from NEST:
2014-12-03 08:05:22.534   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   <class 'Boost.Python.ArgumentError'>
2014-12-03 08:05:22.535   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Error   Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "plugin.py", line 131, in launchNestListener
    self.handleUpdateStatusNotification(line)
  File "plugin.py", line 289, in handleUpdateStatusNotification
    indigo.server.log(sys.exc_info(), isError=True)
ArgumentError: Python argument types in
    ServerInfo.log(tuple)
did not match C++ signature:
    log(CCString message, CCString type='', bool isError=False)

--
  File "plugin.py", line 131, in launchNestListener
    self.handleUpdateStatusNotification(line)
  File "plugin.py", line 289, in handleUpdateStatusNotification
    indigo.server.log(sys.exc_info(), isError=True)
ArgumentError: Python argument types in
    ServerInfo.log(tuple)
did not match C++ signature:
    log(CCString message, CCString type='', bool isError=False)

2014-12-03 08:05:49.632   Received X10   "Front hall" on
2014-12-03 08:05:49.633   Trigger   Front hall motion
2014-12-03 08:05:49.633   Action Group   Motion
2014-12-03 08:05:49.641   Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin   [Downstairs thermostat] away mode was changed to False

Any ideas what that is?

Posted on
Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:23 pm
DaveL17 offline

I haven't seen that error before. I had several NEST errors today, but I think they were due to a hinky WAN connection here rather than anything NEST-related.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:40 am
yergeyj offline

kalophtalmos wrote:
Hey !

Tried to use that plugin with my brand new Nest Protect (smoke and CO2 detector) but when I try to add a New Nest device, I can just pick Thermostat...
Any other plugin maybe dedicated for Nest Protect or Nest Protect compliant ?

Thanks a lot for the hard work

All,

I'm in a similar situation, and see quite a few posts here that refer to the Nest Protect but nothing that specifies if the plugin actually works with them? I do not have the Nest Thermostat, but do have 9 Nest Protects installed.

I'd like to be able to capture motion detections from the Next Protects if possible - their "path light" is fine for small spaces, but I'd like to operate another light when the motion is detected. I'm also considering using the motion detection to trigger other functions.

Is any of this possible with this plugin??

Jim

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:18 pm
Autobot offline

Hey all you long suffering Nest users!

I don't know how much mileage we'll get out of this but just saw this post:

viewtopic.php?f=152&t=13191

It has a link to the Insteon website with an announcement that Nest thermostats can now be controlled via the Insteon Hub.

My question is - does anyone know if it would be possible for the PowerLinc modem that we use with Indigo to integrate with the Nest?

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:42 pm
Cheezmo offline

All I know is that it sure would be nice to be able to control my Nest with Indigo. I could up until Yosemite came out (using the old plugin), but this one has too many things (fan control) that don't work so I've given up on it.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:04 pm
DaveL17 offline

I gave up on the Nest.

I originally bought it for its ability to control my humidifier (which it did), the ability to control it through the Indigo plugin (which I was never able to do reliably) and to control the humidifier through the plugin (which hasn't been possible because Nest hasn't opened up the Nest API for humidity.) Add to that the fact that it requires WAN for communication and I got fed up.

Sold the Nest, replaced it with a Trane, and picked up an Aeon multisensor and a Remotec relay switch to control the humidifier. Even had a few simoleons left over.

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:19 pm
Autobot offline

Agreed that a thermostat with direct Z-wave integration would be far preferable to the Nest's "integration via Cloud" method.

Which Trane did you go with, out of interest?

I am also looking into ZXT's Z-wave thermostat but unsure if currently supported by Indigo.

Or maybe the Insteon thing will pan out...

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm
DaveL17 offline

Autobot wrote:
Agreed that a thermostat with direct Z-wave integration would be far preferable to the Nest's "integration via Cloud" method.

Which Trane did you go with, out of interest?

I am also looking into ZXT's Z-wave thermostat but unsure if currently supported by Indigo.

Or maybe the Insteon thing will pan out...

I've heard of that Insteon thing...

The Nest was replaced with a new Trane (TZEMT400BB32MAA) -- had a bit of a hinky communication with it at the outset (it could be a coincidence, but Indigo 6.0.20 seems to have addressed that.) I have been using a Trane (TZEMT400BB32) for our upstairs unit for years which I got used on eBay. Both of them had the Schlage Nexia branding on the box.

I understand them to be manufactured by RCS and based on the TZ45 (without the ability to support remote sensors.)

I'd recommend them.
Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:39 pm
Autobot offline

Thanks Dave, will look into it.

Might email Insteon to get clarification as I do have a PowerLinc Modem (2413U).

PS Love the WUnderground plugin BTW, good work!

Posted on
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:46 pm
DaveL17 offline

Autobot wrote:
Thanks Dave, will look into it.

Might email Insteon to get clarification as I do have a PowerLinc Modem (2413U).

PS Love the WUnderground plugin BTW, good work!

My pleasure. Thanks for the kind words!
Dave

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm
Alphaman offline

Just wanted to mention an update with my problem that necessitated me to have to run the plugin "watchdog timer" referenced in this thread. I ran the watchdog for quite a while, until this past week. As of Wednesday, I installed a new wireless router (TP-Link AC1750 802.11b/g/n/ac) to replace my aging D-Link DIR-825. Since the change, I've had the watchdog timer disabled and haven't had a single instance of the plugin failing.
I don't think this was specifically a D-Link problem, but was seeing issues with my 5 or 6 year old router that indicated it was starting to fail (port mappings mysteriously switching around, multiple wired systems reporting no wired connection then reconnecting, dropouts in otherwise stable network streams from iTunes or Netflix, having to reconnect to the router repeatedly, of course many Nest disconnects, etc.).
I'm not having any of these problems anymore. And the new router has much greater range and is ridiculously faster... :D

Posted on
Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:53 pm
philipbasile offline

Nest plugin error message

Hi, Im getting an error in my event log with the nest plugin. It seems to be working but the errors are really clogging up my log. I do have debugging turned off.
I can control the temp up and down and it seems to be reporting the correct current temp. one thing thats not working is the current set temp for one of the two stats I have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

error is "invalid message" below.

Yet Another Nest Thermostat Plugin Invalid message: "switch_system_off":false,"local_ip":"192.168.2.106","away_temperature_high":26.528,"y2_type":"unknoe":"gas","compressor_locktive":false,"rssi":55,"emer_heahas_x2_cool":false,"ob_orientation":"O","cooling_x2_delivery":"unknown","available_loca1AB41120CY7","has_x2_alt_heat":false,"leaf_threshold_heat":2ed":true,"country_code":"US","fan_timer_timeout":0,"target_humidity":40,"heow_enabled":true,"filter_changed_date":1405396800,"hvac_safety_shutoff_active":false,"heat_pumfalse,"heater_delivery":"forced-air","radiant_control_enabled":false,"auto_away_reset":false,"away_temperature_low":20_address":"18b43002c172","heat_x2_source":"gas","fan_duty_start_time":0,"time_to_target":0,"backplate_model":"Backplate-2.5","heat_link_connection"oning_active":false,"topaz_enhanced_auto_away_enabled":false,"name":"Home","postal_code":"08527","creation_time":1354242432840,"num_thermostats":"2","away_setter":1,"structure_area":35{"$version":32217,"$timestamp":1421206503628,"heatpump_setback_active":false,"touched_by":{},"emer_heat_enable":false,"switch_system_off":false,"local_ip":"192.168.5.178","away_temperature_high":26.667,"y2_type":"unknown","tempera_cooling_state":false,"heater_source":"gas","compressor_lockout_leaf":-17.8,"has_x3_heat":false,"target_humidity_enabled":false,"heat_x3_source":"gas","alt_heat_delivery":"forced-air","fan_mode":"auto","has_x2_heat":false,"sunlight_correction_active":false,"rssi":58,"emer_heat_delivery"cription":"none","heatpump_savings":"off","humidity_control_lockout_end_time":0,"filter_reminder_level":0,"filter_reminder_enabled":true,"capability_level":4.31,"schedule_learning_reset":false,"has_x2_cool":false,"ob_orientation":"O","hvac_pins":"W1,Y1,C,Rh,G,Star","cooling_delivery":"unknown","range_enable":true,"dual_fuel_breakpoint_override":"none","autoy_temp_enabled":true,"has_fan":true,"dehumidifier_state":false,"nlclient_state":"","emer_heat_source":"electric","heatpump_ready":false,"cooling_x2_delivery":"unknown","available_locales":"en_US,fr_CA,es_US,en_GB,fr_FR,nl_NL","current_version":"4.3.3","learning_state":"slow","has_fossil_fuel":true,"pin_rh_description":"power","pin_ob_description":"none","safety_temp_activating_hvac":false,"has_alt_heat":false,"fan_duty_cycle":3600,"pin_y1_descri"gear_threshold_high":0,"backplate_serial_number":"02BA0FABE51201W5","has_x2_alt_heat":false,"leaf_threshold_heat":21.04,"heat_x3_delivery":"forced-air","is_on_stand":false,"learning_mode":true,"has_emer_heat":false,"leaf_learning":"ready","has_aux_heat":false,"aux_heat_source":"electric","filter_changed_set_date":1420984277,"backplate_bsl_info":"BSL","sunlight_correction_ready":true,"alt_heat_x2_source":"gas","pin_c_description":"power","humidifier_type":"steam","pin_w2aux_description":"none","humidity_control_lockout_start_time":0,"sunlight_correction_eout":0,"target_humidity":35,"heat_x2_delivery":"forced-air","gear_threshold_low":0,"lower_safety_temp":4.444,"last_software_update_utc_secs":1416413993,"cooling_x2_source":"electric","equipment_type":"electric","heat_pump_aux_threshold":10,"alt_heat_x2_delivery":"forced-air","heat_pump_comp_threshold":-31.5,"learning_days_completed_cool":0,"backplate_bsl_version":"2.1","current_schedule_mode":"HEAT","hvac_wires":"Heat,Cool,Fan,Common Wire,Rh,Star","fan_duty_end_time":0,"leaf":false,"type":"TBD","pin_g_description":"fan","click_sound":"on","aux_heat_delivery":"forced-air","away_temperature_low_enabled":true,"filter_changed_date":1421298000,"hvac_safety_shutoff_active":false,"heat_pump_comp_thrmidifier":false,"fan_cooling_enabled":true,"leaf_away_high":28.88,"fan_cooling_readiness":"ready","temperature_scale":"F","device_locale":"en_US","preconditioning_active":false,"maint_band_upper":0.279,"error_code":"","battery_level":3.888,"fan_control_state":false,"away_temperature_high_enabled":true,"learning_days_completed_heat":58,"humidifier_fan_activation":false,"upper_safety_temp_enabled":false,"pin_star_description":"hum","preconditioning_enabled":true,"dual_fuel_breakpoint":-1,"current_humidity":24,"postal_code":"08527","alt_heat_source":"gas","backplate_mono_version":"4.0.26","aux_lockout_leaf":10,"has_heat_pump":false,"heater_delivery":"forced-air","radiant_control_enabled":false,"auto_away_reset":false,"away_temperature_low":20.981,"temperature_lock":false,"has_air_filter":true,"upper_safety_temp":35,"time_to_target_training":"ready","dehumidifier_type"":0,"fan_timer_duration":900,"temperature_lock_low_temp":20,"pin_w1_description":"heat","forced_air":true,"temperature_lock_pin_hash":"","auto_dehum_enabled":true,"leaf_type":1,"backplate_mono_info":"TFE (BP_D2) 4.0.26 (root@bamboo) 2014-07-02 14:37:01","star_type":"hum","has_dual_fuel":false,"maint_band_lower":0.39,"learning_time":1710,"creation_time":1368405819647,"has_humidifier":true,"learning_days_completed_range":0,"dehumidifier_orientation_selected":"unknown","leaf_schedule_delta":1.11,"logging_priority":"informational","user_brightness":"medium","leaf_away_low":22.15,"pin_rc_description":"none","serial_number":"02AAw1AB4E120RKN","auto_dehum_state":false,"mac_address":"18b4770715cb","heat_x2_source":"gas","fan_duty_start_time":0,"time_to_target":0,"backplate_model":"Backplate-2.5","heat_link_connection":0,"model_version":"Display-2.6","heat_pump_aux_threshold_enabled":true,"ob_persistence":true,"schedules":[],"auto_away":1,"auto_away_learning":"training","hvac_heat_x3_state":false,"compressor_lockout_enabled":false,"hvac_alt_heat_state":false,"target_temperature_type":"heaimeout":0,"hvac_cool_x2_state":false,"target_temperature_high":24,"hvac_aux_heater_state":false,"hvac_heat_x2_state":false,"target_temperature_low":20,"target_temperature":22.15,"hvac_ac_state":false,"hvac_fan_state":false,"target_change_pending":false,"name":"Downstairs","current_temperature":21.93,"hvac_alt_heat_x2_state":false,"can_cool":true,"72ff2c80-3a95-11e2-bbdc-1231390f0261":{"$version":291,"$timestamp":1421197434767,"touched_by":{"touched_by":1},"dr_reminder_enabled":true,"location":"Jackson, NJ","renovation_date":"2000","country_code":"US","measurement_scale":"imperial","away_timestamp":1421020404,"hvac_safety_shutoff_enabled":true,"time_zone":"America/New_York","away":false,"house_type":"family","eta_preconditioning_active":false,"topaz_enhanced_auto_away_enabled":false,"name":"Home","postal_code":"08527","creation_time":1354242432840,"num_thermostats":"2","away_setter":1,"structure_area":357.677,"user":"user.163504","devices":["device.02AA0AAB41520LPP","device.02AB01AB251201KN"],"swarm":["device.02AA02AFGB120LPP","device.02012B45212202KN"],"fabric_ids":[],"clutches":[]},"serial":"02AA334WB451202KN"}

Posted on
Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:26 am
vtmikel offline

Hi all,

I have limited time to support the plugin any longer with my travel schedule. I'm willing to make small improvements but I do not plan to upgrade my Mac Mini to Yosemite any time soon, though I would expect this plugin to work fine since I'm mostly using Node.JS and not Python for execution. On Mavericks, it's been a stable plugin for me, I do not use a error / restart strategy.

Regarding the fan control problem, I see there are some problems. I'm willing to fix it but I need to understand how it should function. I keep the fan control on auto, allowing my NEST to turn on the fan when the thermostat is on. Indigo has a "Aways On" function that might have to translate to feature that NEST has to turn the fan on for a timed duration. My nest.com allows me to turn it on for 15m, I Could emulate that functionality if you wish.

Best,
Mike