Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:57 am
flic offline

Re: Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

howartp wrote:
It would be good to be able to turn off a Beacon device using regular Indigo commands such as after 30 minutes of not-being-in-the-office, or when I get in the car (there's a USB in there as well)?

Sure. Upgrade to 1.4.5, you'll find a new “Enable controls to override on/off state” checkbox under Device Settings, disabled by default. Enable it and you should be able to manually set the sensor to on or off.

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:08 am
howartp offline

flic wrote:
howartp wrote:
It would be good to be able to turn off a Beacon device using regular Indigo commands such as after 30 minutes of not-being-in-the-office, or when I get in the car (there's a USB in there as well)?

Sure. Upgrade to 1.4.5, you'll find a new “Enable controls to override on/off state” checkbox under Device Settings, disabled by default. Enable it and you should be able to manually set the sensor to on or off.

Great - but....
Code: Select all
Beacon Error                    plugin does not define method actionControlSensor

Whenever I turn a device on/off, either by the UI or by a action > device > turn on/off > [device], I get that error.

Peter

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:09 am
flic offline

Damnit. I'll take a look at it, but it'll take a bit longer this time. :)

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:12 am
howartp offline

flic wrote:
Damnit. I'll take a look at it, but it'll take a bit longer this time. :)

No worries. :-)

I've had such a hard week at work, I'm relaxing by catching up on loads of Indigo tweaks and changes I've wanted to do for ages.

Beacon is one of them, but I'm also adding bits to my control page that I keep finding myself doing manually elsewhere in Touch so it makes sense to add them.

Peter

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:51 am
flic offline

Okay, try 1.4.6 that should fix it.

Posted on
Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:59 pm
howartp offline

Thanks Flic - both developments working great.

Peter

Posted on
Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 pm
Mirko offline

Hi,
I have downloaded your beacon plugin on my macminiserver 10.6.8
I have used this plugin 1.2.0 for a long time without any problems.
I am trying to get my beacons to work for the first time.
For that matter I downloaded the last version 1.4.6 and that does not work at all. The necessary fields do not appear and all my geofency did not work anymore. I had to downgrade it immediately and at least that geofency is working again.
Could you tell me if this upgrade should be working on my Mac mini with 10.6.8?
And how I can get my beacons to work?

Thanks a lot

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:04 am
flic offline

Well, 10.6.8 is pretty old and I can't say that I've tried running Beacon on it but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I suppose Python's been upgraded a few times since then, but I don't think I've made any changes that would be affected by that. Try turning on debug logging and restart the plugin, see what it says.

Is anybody else running Beacon on 10.6? I have no system to try it on myself.

Assuming that it does work on 10.6.8 I've made some major changes to the devices since 1.2.0 (scroll up a few pages in this thread for the details) which means that your Beacon devices needs to be re-created after the upgrade.

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:06 pm
Mirko offline

In 10.6.8 the pull down menus disappear so one is not able to recreate the Beacon devices

Posted on
Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:16 pm
howartp offline

Flic - is the default setting to create devices automatically when received via GeoFency?

If so, Mirko, you can delete the current devices (which you'll need to do anyway) and let Beacon recreate them when it receives notification from GeoFency. (Which you can force by going to webhook's on each Beacon in GeoFency)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:38 am
flic offline

Yes, the default setting is to auto-create devices

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:04 pm
Mirko offline

Hi

How do you want me to make a device with eg Estimote beacons?
Sender name and Locationname are not available anymore in the Pop-up menu after hitting the button Edit Device Settings.

Apart from that I have quite a number of devices - using GeoFency - created that work with triggers, schedules etc. Does this mean that I have to recreate all those triggers, schedules, actions and buttons in the control pages again?

Mirko

Posted on
Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:36 pm
howartp offline

Regarding the GeoFency issue, don't delete your existing devices yet - just edit them and add a character to their address in settings.

Then GeoFency will create new devices for you.

You can then go through your triggers etc and swap the old device for the new one - far less of a problem than recreating them from scratch.

Are Estimotes separate devices in Indigo? Aren't they just entered in GeoFency then triggered by this plugin?

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:17 am
Mirko offline

Hi Howartp,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed it worked thanks to your advice I have been able to upgrade the plug inn to its latest version. And I got everything working.

But I have another question: How can I minimize the beacon distance? I mean I want to use only 2 or 3 meters and not the average 70 to 80 meters the (usb) beacons supply me with. In the plug in I do not see a place to set the distance as far as I'm aware off. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks

Mirko

Posted on
Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:09 am
howartp offline

The plugin only receives notification of entering/exiting beacon areas. It's down to Config of the beacon itself to set the power it transmits at (which affects the radius of detection)

For iBeacons from Radius Networks, which is what I use, they have an app which lets me set transmit power - I presume Estimote have the same facility either by app or Mac/PC?

Page 13 of 18 1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 18