Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:58 am
philipbasile offline

Re: Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Sounds good, no problem with the scripting, I'll check it out this weekend!

Philip

Posted on
Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:09 pm
philipbasile offline

flic,

what is the difference between the following

device name - auto creates [email]@@[location] from geohopper. If I change this then the device is not found on the next geohopper call. is that correct ?
sender name - auto creates [email]@@[location] from geohopper. If I change this then the device is not found on the next geohopper call. is that correct ?

in the indigo device list there is a column ADDRESS which corresponds to the sender field.

philip

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:48 am
flic offline

Well, for starters you found a bug in the manual device creation dialog. Sender name/location name is not used anymore, it should just say address and nothing more. I've fixed that and committed 1.4.1 to github. No other changes so no real reason to upgrade if you don't usually create your devices manually.

On auto-creation both the Device Name and the Address is set to [sender]@@[location], but I only use the Address to identify the device. You can change the Device Name to whatever you want, that wont affect the functionality at all.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 am
juntta offline

Hi!

I have another bug to report (minor one though ;)): if I name region in Geohopper "työpaikka" (workplace in Finnish ), Beacon wont trigger when I arrive to my office. If I replace ö-character with "o", it triggers just fine. So I guess either Beacon has trouble with character encodings or Geohopper has (or both :) )

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:49 am
flic offline

juntta wrote:
Hi!

I have another bug to report (minor one though ;)): if I name region in Geohopper "työpaikka" (workplace in Finnish ), Beacon wont trigger when I arrive to my office. If I replace ö-character with "o", it triggers just fine. So I guess either Beacon has trouble with character encodings or Geohopper has (or both :) )

Assuming it's me and not Geohopper I'll fix that. We umlaut-users need to stick together... ;)

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:37 am
flic offline

Juntta, try upgrading to 1.4.2 now on GitHub, it should fix your umlaut problem.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:10 am
juntta offline

Wow, that was fast! :shock: Hmm, unfortunately I didn't get it working. I replaced o's with ö's on both, Geohopper and Beacon device settings, but if I test location in Geohopper, nothing shows on Indigo log. But with o's in location name, test gets logged immediately. So can we make assumption that bug is at Geohoppers end?

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:40 am
flic offline

I tried it with Geohopper, created a location with åäöÅÄÖ in the name, and that worked. I'll try to create a location with the same name as you and see what happens.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:46 am
flic offline

Looks like it's working

Code: Select all
  Beacon Debug                    New httpHandler thread: Thread-3, total threads: 3
  Beacon Debug                    Received HTTP POST
  Beacon Debug                    Sending HTTP 200 response
  Beacon Debug                    User-agent: None
  Beacon Debug                    Received JSON data: {"sender":"fredrik@furtenbach.se","location":"työpaikka","event":"LocationTest","time":"2015-10-28 12:42:35 +0000"}
  Beacon Debug                    parseResult called
  Beacon Debug                    No device found
  Beacon Error                    Received LocationTest from fredrik@furtenbach.se@@työpaikka but no corresponding device exists
  Beacon Debug                    deviceCreate called
  Beacon Debug                    Created new device, fredrik@furtenbach.se@@työpaikka
  Beacon Debug                    Created device of type "beacon"
  Beacon Debug                    deviceUpdate called
  Beacon                          Test location notification received from sender/location fredrik@furtenbach.se@@työpaikka

Could you try to delete the old device and let the plugin re-create it?

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:11 am
juntta offline

I tried to delete the device and let the plugin create it and it created the device, showed the test event on the log. Great. I tried to test it again with other location, works fine, shows up in the log, updates Beacon variables, I'm happy.

But: tried again with "työpaikka" location, now it doesnt show nothing on the log?!? Tried again and noticed it updates Beacon device id but no other signs - nothing on log, beacon name and location doesn't update. When I try with other locations, it works fine and all appropriate updates are done. Thats pretty weird :?

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 am
flic offline

Strange, it still works for me. Can you enable debugging under Beacon config and post a debug log when it fails?

Edit: hang on, I found something. It's related to the variables, I didin't have "create variables" enabled.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:46 am
flic offline

Yes, it was related to variable creation. Try 1.4.3, see if it works for you.

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:33 pm
juntta offline

Success! Now it works without issues! You showed umlauts who's the man :)

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:50 am
stuartcolman offline

I have been using the Beacon plugin for a little while and had the idea of revering things slightly. Instead of using the phone as the presence device, why not use the ibeacon itself. So you carry a small beacon with you on your keyring, then on the mac something like "beaconscan" (https://bitbucket.org/twocanoes/beaconscan) could scan for your ibeacon every second. When it shows itself this is passed to the Beacon plugin and voila! iBeacons that leave the area would be cleared out after about 15 seconds.

I put an idea here (viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15016&p=105284#p105284), however instead of re-inventing the wheel, this may be an easy extension of the current plugin.

Thanks

Stuart

Posted on
Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:57 am
flic offline

stuartcolman wrote:
I have been using the Beacon plugin for a little while and had the idea of revering things slightly. Instead of using the phone as the presence device, why not use the ibeacon itself.

I see no real reason why this wouldn't work already. As a matter of fact, I'm already using a variant of this where I have an Estimote iBeacon on my MC and an old iPhone in the garage that senses it's presence when I arrive. If you'd prefer to use a computer you need an application that allows you to do a HTTP POST to Beacon, should be doable.

Page 11 of 18 1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18