Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Posted on
Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:50 pm
RAID5 offline

Re: Beacon: a Geohopper/Beecon plugin

Hi, regarding this fee of $4.99 for Geohopper service, what I could find on the web is that it only applies to does who use beacons, if you only use GPS and fencing is should be free. I could no find that it is a monthly fee, just a in app purchase of $4.99. Were have you read this information?

/RAID5
Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:51 am
midd offline

I received an email from TwoCanoes, the maker of Geohopper in December. Here it is:

For the past two years Geohopper has been a free service, but as the user base grows, we need to cover our operating costs. For this reason we are instituting a small monthly fee of $4.99. You'll still get unlimited notifications, unlimited locations, and unlimited webhooks. This low monthly fee covers all devices that you register with the same username, and includes both the OS X and iOS apps. Signing up for a Geohopper subscription is simple, just click or tap on the button below:

I love using Geohopper to let my family know when I am arriving or leaving the house. I also use it to maintain a live "status board" in the office that lets us all know who is here and who is out in the field. I also run a web hook to notify co-workers in HipChat when I leave the office. Many of our customers have integrated Geohopper into sophisticated home automation solutions.

I hope Geohopper has been fun and useful and that you find value in continuing the service under a monthly subscription. On January 31, 2016, the free Geohopper service will no longer deliver notifications.

I'd like to hear from you if you have any questions or feedback. Please reply to this message to contact me.

timothy perfitt
founder, twocanoes software

PS Sign up by Jan 31, 2016 to maintain uninterrupted service for your Geohopper account.

PPS
You are receiving this one-time email because you signed up for the Geohopper service. We appreciate our Geohopper users, and sincerely hope you are getting value from the service. We often hear about the amazing things that Geohopper users are doing with the service and I want to makes sure that it keeps growing and improving.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm
midd offline

so although Geohopper is giving me notifications on my phone. I'm unable to see any nor create devices using the plugin in Indigo. This must be where the free service was discontinued.

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 pm
niels.vdw offline

I keep getting:

Beacon Error Received Beecon data, but one or more parameters are missing

in Indigo log. What parameters am I missing in my Beecon URL?

I now have http://192.168.1.12:6192/?sender=Me&loc ... ationEnter

Posted on
Sun May 01, 2016 1:44 pm
RAID5 offline

Looks like you are using your internal IP address. That will only work when you are home on your own wifi.

/RAID5

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 11:25 am
niels.vdw offline

Correct, but just for testing purposes. Doesn't explain my error message btw.

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 pm
RAID5 offline

Are you using Locative or Geohopper?

/RAID5

Posted on
Mon May 02, 2016 11:20 pm
flic offline

niels.vdw wrote:
I keep getting:

Beacon Error Received Beecon data, but one or more parameters are missing

in Indigo log. What parameters am I missing in my Beecon URL?

I now have http://192.168.1.12:6192/?sender=Me&loc ... ationEnter

HTTP GET has been removed since v1.0.3, but I just realized the readme hasn't been updated to reflect that. Really sorry about that! You have to PUT your data instead. I haven't tried Beecon in a long time but i know it's capable of PUT, ether by default or after configuration, The URL should look like http://192.168.1.12:6192, nothing more.

Edit: I think... I can't remember, need to download Beecon and test it. I'll get back to you.

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 2:38 am
flic offline

flic wrote:
HTTP GET has been removed since v1.0.3, but I just realized the readme hasn't been updated to reflect that. Really sorry about that! You have to PUT your data instead. I haven't tried Beecon in a long time but i know it's capable of PUT, ether by default or after configuration, The URL should look like http://192.168.1.12:6192, nothing more.

Edit: I think... I can't remember, need to download Beecon and test it. I'll get back to you.

Yes, I remembered correctly. The URL should be as above, and you need to configure HTTP PUT in Beecon settings., then it works.

Posted on
Tue May 03, 2016 12:56 pm
niels.vdw offline

Thanks for your help. Got it functioning now. Cool!

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:02 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I have Geohopper. I created a location where I lived. When I walk down the street, my Apple Watch alerts me I have departed and when I get back close to home I get an alert I have arrived. Now I want to create Indigo triggers. The challenge I see is I use a VPN to access my Indigo server remotely. The Indigo runs on a Mac Mini which has OS/X server running the VPN service. It works great. Is there a way I can create triggers in this system setup?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:33 pm
mlooss offline

Its been a while since I did this setup, but it works really well, when GeoHopper service works. I had several occasion were it just stopped and support is very slow to respond. You also will need to purchase their web service and setup Dynamic DNS if you don't have a static IP. Next create a port forwarding on your router so that GeoHopper service can post via your URL and port. Your VPN set up will not work, because GeoHopper can't establish the VPN connection. Don't create any devices, they are created automatically.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:21 am
wideglidejrp offline

if I understand you correctly, I would have to give up my secure VPN service in order to use Geohopper. That is too much to give up. I wonder if there might be an app which is capable of using the VPN?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:37 pm
wideglidejrp offline

I get the idea behind Geohopper and the plugin but have not been able to make it work so far. I setup a new device with john@attitudellc.org@@155 Pennwood Dr as the address. I saw somewhere that it is best to let the device be created automatically but I saw no way to accomplish that. I opened up port 6192 with TCP forwarding to my Mac Mini where Indigo is running. In the app setting for web services, I added pennwood155.us:6192 which is my MacMini. I created a trigger for a Beacon event for any change to result in an email action. I walked down the street and my Apple Watch beeped saying I had left 155 Pennwood Dr but nothing happened in Indigo. Any suggestions?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:51 am
RAID5 offline

Have you in Geohopper setup a webservice to send a notification to you public IP

/RAID5