Lutron RadioRA 2 (and Caseta) plugin

Posted on
Fri May 23, 2014 1:04 pm
RatRanch offline

Re: Lutron RadioRA 2 plugin

Swancoat wrote:
Do they have something like the Insteon door close sensor? Turns out I love putting those things on pantry doors and the like.

Nothing directly equivalent from Lutron that I'm aware of. There's a controller that accepts dry contact inputs but that would entail running wire back to your door switches.

However, you could always use Indigo to interface RadioRA 2 with third party products like your existing Insteon door close sensors.

Posted on
Fri May 23, 2014 1:14 pm
sbe08 offline

I agree with RatRanch. For door sensing, there are better solutions out there. Personally I use https://www.mytaglist.com.

Posted on
Tue May 27, 2014 7:40 am
Swancoat offline

Given that I use these things on pantry doors and closet doors, it seems like it'd be best just to keep them Insteon. They react fast and aren't big parts of the greater automation scheme (scenes, etc...).

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:49 am
tworthington offline

Keypad support...

Hi folks -

Not new to Indigo, however just finished a fairly large RA2 implementation at my new house and I'm pretty sure this is my first forum post since first using Indigo 3 -- and now on v6. I've got the plugin configured and working, and have a few devices configured -- more for testing/learning purposes for now.

I'm trying to do some triggers off of keypad state changes, but am not seeing the triggers fire. I'm wondering if this issue is specific to this button being linked to a time clock mode.

Example:

- Keypad configured, and defined in the interface.
- The On/Off is being reflected correctly in Indigo via the physical button, and via the Lutron app.
EDIT -- take that back. The on/off isn't always reflected correctly for the button in question.
- Keypad button in question is linked to a time clock event -- Away.

The issue is that the trigger I have defined for that keypad button never "triggers." Device State Changed/Foyer Keypad - Button 6/OnOff State/[Becomes On/Becomes Off]"

Here's the ON capture:

Code: Select all
Lutron RadioRA 2 Debug          Received a Device command:
~DEVICE,19,6,3
  Lutron RadioRA 2 Debug          Received a keypad button status change:
~DEVICE,19,6,3
  Lutron RadioRA 2 Debug          Unrecognized command:
~TIMECLOCK,17,1,0
~DEVICE,19,86,9,1
~DEVICE,23,86,9,1

And the OFF capture:
Code: Select all
~DEVICE,19,6,3
  Lutron RadioRA 2 Debug          Received a keypad button status change:
~DEVICE,19,6,3
  Lutron RadioRA 2 Debug          Unrecognized command:
~TIMECLOCK,17,1,3
~DEVICE,19,86,9,0
~DEVICE,23,86,9,0

Any suggestions?

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm
RatRanch offline

I think the keypad button is set up as a toggle, so it always outputs an ON command when the button is pressed and the repeater is toggling timeclock 17 every time there is a button press.

Try defining button 86 on this keypad, which is the LED light that corresponds to button #6. Then have your trigger watch button 86. You should get a reliable indication of whether "away" is on or off.

Cheers,
-Jim

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:49 pm
tworthington offline

Thanks Jim - that was it!

Any other guidance or tips using the keypad device type? Use LED anytime there's a toggle (Timeclock/pathway) and On/Off for scenes? Or...? :-)

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:32 pm
RatRanch offline

Glad that worked!

The other way you can track and respond to scenes/statuses is by setting up "virtual LEDs" on the main repeater. There are 100 available and each virtual LED has a corresponding virtual button. These get programed using the RadioRA 2 software, similar to programming keypad buttons.

Example: you have assigned all your keypad buttons but have a additional scenes that are only occasionally used. Or perhaps you have some scenes that you only want Indigo to have access to. Assign each to a virtual button, which can be "pressed" by Indigo. It is a lot faster (i.e., pretty much instantaneous) to activate a scene containing a lot of devices this way versus using an Indigo action group.

Cheers,
-Jim

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:20 pm
RatRanch offline

Hi all,

I posted updated plugin version 1.2.2 in the file area. This release adds support for occupancy/vacancy sensors (thanks Tony W. for your contributions on this). There is also now an option to query status of all devices at startup, integration IDs are displayed in the address field and you can add notes for all devices.

This version has been tested for compatibility with RadioRA 2 firmware 7.x through 8.1.

Please visit my blog for various tips about RadioRA 2.

Cheers,
-Jim

Posted on
Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:28 pm
alhumphrey offline

Hello all does anyone have a version of this plug in which works with ethernet log in.

Thanks for your time.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 pm
Swancoat offline

I went ahead and ordered up some RadioRA2 stuff here and set up my Media Room, as it's sort of as 'stand-alone' from the rest of the house as you can get, and is somewhat scene intensive.

So far: Blown away. Pricey, but lightning fast fluid scene changes. Really, really nice.

Now I need a plugin to get going and make it work with Indigo. I've downloaded Jim's plugin, but direct serial connection (or through USB) is not much of an option for me. So before I go ahead and buy (yet another) iTach, I also contacted the poster above who says he modified the plugin to work over Ethernet.

However, I can't yet seem to get the Ethernet modified version to work. Not sure why, just won't connect from the get-go, and has errors right away on config.

Also, it seems like Jim is continuing to develop his plugin functionality wise... so not quite sure what I should do right now.

I might have to bite the bullet on another iTach, since I don't want to go ahead with any more RadioRA2 gear until I see how it's integrating with Indigo.

JS

Posted on
Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:47 am
RatRanch offline

JS,

What is the reason you cannot connect via serial? Perhaps we could come up with a solution (others have successfully used serial-ethernet adaptors/extenders).

As you observed, the performance and reliability of RadioRA 2 is outstanding!

-Jim

Posted on
Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 am
Swancoat offline

Yeah, I'm a believer in RA2. If it scales to the house with the same performance as my media room it'll be mind blowing.

Basically, my computer is in my office and the Lutron Gateway is in my media equipment room / head end upstairs.

I CAN probably connect to serial, either by getting another small switch and moving the Lutron Gateway into my office (which isn't my preferred option). OR, I can use a Global Cache IP2SL to basically install another serial port in the equip room (slightly preferred. I'm already using 2 of these units and love them).

Using a serial over USB extender isn't really practical since I only have 2 Cat5 runs down to my office and am using them both (IP for computer and as an audio back haul from the computer to the equipment room).

Basically, using Ethernet is the most 'elegant' solution, but I'll probably just get another iTach.

Posted on
Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:19 am
Swancoat offline

Just ordered another iTach, so hopefully I'll have it up and running tomorrow night.

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:06 am
Swancoat offline

RadioRA2 plugin up and running! Super fast, device updates look lightning quick so far.

Had an initial error on config, but a reload seemed to fix it. Also had some errors on with keypad devices, but that has seemed to fix itself on a reload too.

I have one small bug on keypad buttons I think (or else I'm not setting things up right). If I'm doing it right, each of the keypad buttons is basically it's own 'device' in Indigo with an on/off.

When I turn one on, it activates the scene correctly, and when I activate a scene outside of Indigo (like using Lutron app) the scene or button in Indigo also correctly reflects the 'on' state. But when I activate another scene on the same devices (like 'all off' or something) the previously activated scenes do not reflect an 'off' state like I would expect.

But all in all the plugin is killer!

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:05 am
RatRanch offline

Glad to hear the plugin is working out for you so far!

For scene monitoring, it generally works better to monitor keypad LEDs instead of the buttons themselves. Each button has a corresponding LED, which has an offset of 80. For example, keypad button 1 is assigned to LED 81, keypad button 2 maps to LED 82, and so forth.

"Phantom LEDs" on the main repeater or visor controllers can be monitored similarly.

Cheers,
-Jim