Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:37 am
Ramias offline

Re: Plugin for Haiku Fan with SenseME

howartp wrote:
I’m looking at it, but we need to be aware there’s many many abandoned but heavily used plugins that the community need to bring up to date between us/them.

I’ll need a beta tester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi howartp. Wondering if you are still looking at a version of this plugin to work with the new firmware. I've upgraded one of my four fans to the new firmware and could beta test.

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am
gt3mike offline

I could beta test as well.

Posted on
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:01 am
howartp offline

I’ve honestly not done anything with this yet.

I’ve got a couple other plugins I’m on with at the moment but I’ll see what needs doing after that.

Posted on
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 am
norcoscia offline

This is something I could use as well - has the current plug-in been abandoned?

Edit - to clarify - I have not updated my fans but the current plug-in has not been updated to P3 - at least not that I can find….

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:44 am
vtmikel offline

Ramias wrote:
gt3mike wrote:
howartp wrote:
Fixing the old issues and making py3 is relatively simple.

Moving to new firmware, less so!

https://github.com/jfroy/aiobafi6 looks promising.

Has anyone experimented with this new Python library for the Big Ass Fans i6 protocol yet?

(How's that @jay for getting us back on topic?) :D

Not yet. I've modified the current plugin with the old firmware to work with Python 3 and future versions of Indigo but I've not looked at any of the python libraries or what it would take to get those to work with the new firmware.

I'm following this thread as well. Wonder if Ramias, you would share the Python 3 modified version for the old firmware? I have not updated my firmware and won't do so until we have a plugin. I'm addicted to my automatic fan speed program I've written for Indigo!

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:51 pm
webdeck offline

I would love a new version that works with the new app/protocol. Ideally, it would create multiple devices for each fan - a fan, a dimmable light (if applicable), an occupancy sensor, switches for woosh/reverse, etc.

I was able to hack the current SenseME plugin to work on Python 3, but if anyone in my house accidentally updates the firmware on my fans, then all my stuff breaks, including KeypadLincs to control the fans, automation, etc. Not pretty...

Posted on
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:56 pm
howartp offline

I’ve forgotten about this thread/plugin but aware 2023 is out so will see what’s what.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:16 am
gt3mike offline

I think the key to a new plugin will be to adopt the aiobafi6 library.

https://github.com/jfroy/aiobafi6

It is actively maintained. I’ve been using it successfully for over a year now via command line for some basic operations.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:18 am
vtmikel offline

webdeck wrote:
I would love a new version that works with the new app/protocol. Ideally, it would create multiple devices for each fan - a fan, a dimmable light (if applicable), an occupancy sensor, switches for woosh/reverse, etc.

I was able to hack the current SenseME plugin to work on Python 3, but if anyone in my house accidentally updates the firmware on my fans, then all my stuff breaks, including KeypadLincs to control the fans, automation, etc. Not pretty...

Would you mind sharing it?

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:00 am
norcoscia offline

Would love to find a way to keep mine working - don’t think I will upgrade until I can get them to work under python 3 - I use them for motion, lights and of course the fans….. Help please

_______
Norm

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:52 am
webdeck offline

I have forked the 0.7.0 version and created version 0.8.0 and updated it to work with Python 3. You can get it here: https://github.com/webdeck/SenseME-Indi ... tag/v0.8.0

I was never able to upgrade from 0.6.0 to 0.7.0 myself due to errors. I believe I have fixed those errors, but it requires a workaround - after upgrading, if you see any errors, you need to reconfigure each fan device. Edit Device Settings for each device and click Save. That should fix it. You only need to do this the first time after upgrading.

This only works with the old firmware (Haiku by BAF app.)

I have done some refactoring of how commands are sent, and have added some extra error checking. I have done some minimal testing and it seems to work.

I also removed the version update checking.

You can report bugs on github here: https://github.com/webdeck/SenseME-Indigo-Plugin/issues I will attempt to fix them, but I do not intend to maintain this plugin indefinitely. Hopefully someone can write a new plugin for the new firmware.

Posted on
Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:06 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks so much - I will try it in the next few days and let you know how it works!!!!!!!

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:22 am
vtmikel offline

webdeck wrote:
I have forked the 0.7.0 version and created version 0.8.0 and updated it to work with Python 3. You can get it here: https://github.com/webdeck/SenseME-Indi ... tag/v0.8.0

I was never able to upgrade from 0.6.0 to 0.7.0 myself due to errors. I believe I have fixed those errors, but it requires a workaround - after upgrading, if you see any errors, you need to reconfigure each fan device. Edit Device Settings for each device and click Save. That should fix it. You only need to do this the first time after upgrading.

This only works with the old firmware (Haiku by BAF app.)

I have done some refactoring of how commands are sent, and have added some extra error checking. I have done some minimal testing and it seems to work.

I also removed the version update checking.

You can report bugs on github here: https://github.com/webdeck/SenseME-Indigo-Plugin/issues I will attempt to fix them, but I do not intend to maintain this plugin indefinitely. Hopefully someone can write a new plugin for the new firmware.

Thank you for sharing. When I start the plugin I get this error. Potentially of note, I have 3 fans (all old firmware), and this is the only fan I have with a light. I wondered if this is the reason why this fan is throwing an error, but not certain.
Code: Select all
   Starting plugin "SenseME Fan 0.8.0" (pid 10615)
   Started plugin "SenseME Fan 0.8.0"
   SenseME Fan Error               exception in device_start_comm(Autumn's Fan): 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:40 am
webdeck offline

vtmikel wrote:
Thank you for sharing. When I start the plugin I get this error. Potentially of note, I have 3 fans (all old firmware), and this is the only fan I have with a light. I wondered if this is the reason why this fan is throwing an error, but not certain.
   SenseME Fan Error               exception in device_start_comm(Autumn's Fan): 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)

I think the apostrophe in the fan's name is a smart apostrophe instead of a plain one, which is outside the bounds of the ASCII characters. Could you try removing the apostrophe?

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:46 am
vtmikel offline

webdeck wrote:
vtmikel wrote:

I think the apostrophe in the fan's name is a smart apostrophe instead of a plain one, which is outside the bounds of the ASCII characters. Could you try removing the apostrophe?

Unfortunately not. I renamed it in Indigo, restarted the plugin, edited the device and saved, and restarted the plugin again. Each time I get the same:

SenseME Fan Error               exception in device_start_comm(Autumns Fan): 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 7: ordinal not in range(128)