ChatGPT powered Siri

Posted on
Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:55 am
siclark offline

ChatGPT powered Siri

This is not my success story but kudos to this person who has got a natural language control of their smart home via Siri using ChatGPT and Shortcuts.

The video needs to be watched for how well it works. He does admit that there is more to setup for each room but it’s pretty impressive for an hours work and no code.

Downside is how much it would cost me if my kids learnt about it as the api use costs!

I’d be tempted to replace my echos with HomePods if this could perform so well on there. And assuming shortcuts could work there.

https://matemarschalko.medium.com/chatg ... 33b780007a

Posted on
Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:53 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: ChatGPT powered Siri

That's pretty neat, although the answer to the question about how to save energy was pretty generic. :)

We don't use voice in our house -- no Home Pods or anything like that -- but I do get the appeal!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:24 pm
siclark offline

So I’ve got it working in that I can make the sort of generic request that was made in the video and get a json back that has the necessary instructions in it to enable shortcuts to control HomeKit.

“I’m tired and it’s time for bed, can you sort the lights for me?”
“The bedroom lights are now off”

However it needs a bunch of if statements per rooms and decide type which is cumbersome in shortcuts.

I have though just realised that we don’t need to use shortcuts. We can pass that json back into indigo and use python.
In theory we could structure the response from ChatGPT into Indigo api format but that might be pushing it.

I have some time so might have a play to see what’s possible and ultimately whether this could be a plug-in. My python knowledge though is very basic so if any one else is interested in this please let me know.

Posted on
Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 pm
siclark offline

Ok.. thanks to @autolog I have been playing more with this tonight. I now have it working for generic thermostats without the need to code if statements for every room.

Even more impressive, you can tell ChatGPT about your house, so I told it that my wife works in the dining room when at home., so I Can tell it "my wife is working from home and is cold, can you make it 22 degrees for her". and it knows what room to set the temperature for.

Not sure why its any better than just asking Siri for the name of that room, but I am hoping it will reduce the times it doesnt understand you and either does the wrong thing, or does nothing. .

This is all in shortcuts, parsing the json into the current RestAPI, format currently just using local IP, yet to go via the reflector with HTTP Digest .

I tried to get ChatGPT to understand Indigo's API structure, but it wanted to still return parts in JSON even though I asked for everything to be returned as curl.

I am hoping it is easier with the next Indigo version.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:26 am
Different Computers offline

This is super exciting.

Shooting for the moon,I could imagine feeding chatGPT a sanitized dump of the Indigo DB and letting it turn that into deep control of a house.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:44 am
siclark offline

Wow. And I thought cutting and pasting the indigo api instructions to teach it was a bit ambitious!

Yea yours would be pretty cool, but it would have to be able to create triggers and schedules etc which I’m guessing is not on the api functionality yet

Or just have your own instance running 24/7.
Would that need an M1 or M2 mini?

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:00 am
siclark offline

This is not so helpful

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:01 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
This is all in shortcuts, parsing the json into the current RestAPI, format currently just using local IP, yet to go via the reflector with HTTP Digest .

Take a look at Tailscale, you are always on your local network, does not matter if you are using your phone or wifi anywhere in the world, works on MacOS, IOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi. All my shortcuts work using just the local IP with Tailscale, no need for reflector.

siclark wrote:
I am hoping it is easier with the next Indigo version.

I just hope I can understand how to use the next API for shortcuts!

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:05 am
DaveL17 offline

CliveS wrote:
siclark wrote:
I just hope I can understand how to use the next API for shortcuts!

There will be several easy to understand examples in the documentation for Indigo 2022.2 that will show how to use the new API for shortcuts.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:09 am
siclark offline

Cheers both.

It was very simple to set up over reflector and actually other than simplifying parsing the json a bit in shortcuts it’s actually pretty tidy.

Still hoping the new shortcuts help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:15 am
DaveL17 offline

Sorry if this all is getting a bit off topic, but I'll add that the only significant limitation that I've come across using shortcuts is geofencing. It works reasonably well, but Apple requires that all "Arrive" and "Leave" Automations to be confirmed every time.

I'm now using shortcuts for all the things that I used to do with the Home Remote app -- with the exception of geofencing which doesn't require any intervention after initial setup. I still use Home Remote for that and it has been bullet proof.

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:59 pm
CliveS offline

DaveL17 wrote:
Sorry if this all is getting a bit off topic.

Yes my fault so sorry for that, I suppose I will have to wait for the next Indigo release and then I am sure you will start a new thread on shortcuts.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:01 pm
DaveL17 offline

No apologies necessary -- it's your thread and you can do whatever you want with it! :)

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:08 pm
CliveS offline

It was started by @siclark about ChatGPT but like most threads goes off at a tangent!

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:19 pm
DaveL17 offline

All you Brits sound alike to me. :lol: