Success stories using Shortcuts and Indigo?

Posted on
Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:18 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I see some versatility in iPhone shortcuts capabilities but I just don't know what to do with it.

If you are using Shortcuts and Indigo together can you list your success stories here?

Posted on
Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:09 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Success stories using Shortcuts and Indigo?

I don't use the functionality a lot, but you can link Indigo to Shortcuts using the free "Home Remote" app. It's a little tricky to figure out at first, but it's totally easy to do. For example,

- Add an Action Group to Home Remote.
- Open settings for the Action and click on the microphone icon (which will launch Shortcuts.app).
- Add a [custom command] in Shortcuts.
- "Hey Siri [custom command]".

Works like a charm.

Once you have the command set up, there's nothing else you need to do. Home Remote also has a widget (which I use more often).

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:55 am
anyone offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I see some versatility in iPhone shortcuts capabilities but I just don't know what to do with it.

If you are using Shortcuts and Indigo together can you list your success stories here?

There are really only two I use, with Indigo, mainly because we can use Alexa.

The first one, I was a bit hesitant to set up, due to fears it would randomly execute. So far that has not been a problem and I have a couple of safeguards.

I use a Siri shortcut to open and/or close my garage door. This addressed the inability of my cars transmitter, which is in the front near the headlights, to communicate with my garage door opener. This was needed because I back into my garage.

"Hey Siri, shut the garage door" or "Hey Siri, open the garage door", executes an Action Group that simulates the pressing of the garage door button. A Insteon Garage I/O controller presses the button. A Z-wave Garage Door Tilt sensor reliably monitors the status of the door.

So so simple but it is the most frequently used iOS Shortcut I have setup.

One other I setup was for my wife which allows her to control the blinds in her office. It is a Choose from Menu type of iOS ShortCut. It provides her with a list of options; "Open All, Close All, Preset 1, Preset2, Exit".

This to me was a better alternative than a Control Page. She can either click an icon on her iPhone's Home Screen to launch and interact with it or say; "Hey Siri, adjust my office blinds" and then she can say the option she wants".

Posted on
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:03 am
Different Computers offline

I've wondered this same thing. From my perspective as a dedicated HomeKit user, it seems most interesting in its ability to integrate things outside the scope of Indigo into Indigo. But I've yet to find a use case to investigate further.

Frankly, to a large extent this is due to how powerful and broad reaching Indigo is.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:26 pm
CliveS offline

anyone wrote:
I use a Siri shortcut to open and/or close my garage door. This addressed the inability of my cars transmitter, which is in the front near the headlights, to communicate with my garage door opener. This was needed because I back into my garage.

"Hey Siri, shut the garage door" or "Hey Siri, open the garage door", executes an Action Group that simulates the pressing of the garage door button. A Insteon Garage I/O controller presses the button. A Z-wave Garage Door Tilt sensor reliably monitors the status of the door.

One other I setup was for my wife which allows her to control the blinds in her office. It is a Choose from Menu type of iOS ShortCut. It provides her with a list of options; "Open All, Close All, Preset 1, Preset2, Exit".

This to me was a better alternative than a Control Page. She can either click an icon on her iPhone's Home Screen to launch and interact with it or say; "Hey Siri, adjust my office blinds" and then she can say the option she wants".

Can you share some info in how you have set these shortcuts up please.

I have been using Joe's HTTPd2 plugin for my shortcuts and it works beautifully but he has just discontinued it so I expect when 2022.1 arrives it will not work and my attempts at getting a replacement have failed so far, and Apple Watch just tells me to use my iPhone!

So used to asking Siri to open\close the garage door, open Front Door and control all the lights

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:40 pm
FlyingDiver offline

CliveS wrote:
anyone wrote:
I have been using Joe's HTTPd2 plugin for my shortcuts and it works beautifully but he has just discontinued it so I expect when 2022.1 arrives it will not work and my attempts at getting a replacement have failed so far, and Apple Watch just tells me to use my iPhone!

What were you doing with the HTTPd plugin that you can't do with the reflector?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:52 pm
CliveS offline

I was using HTTPd 2as you suggested in [url]
viewtopic.php?f=216&t=23833&hilit=httpd+2
[/url] and it has worked 100%.
As I use Tailscale I only need a local 192.168.100.x address and no idea how to setup shortcuts via the reflector.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:02 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Let's revisit this after 2022.1 is out. The current plugin should work just fine in that version. If we can't work out a reflector solution then I'll update it to Python3 for Indigo 2022.2.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:14 am
CliveS offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Let's revisit this after 2022.1 is out. The current plugin should work just fine in that version. If we can't work out a reflector solution then I'll update it to Python3 for Indigo 2022.2.

Ok,will wait and see but I would still like to see @anyone's shortcuts

CliveS

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:59 am
mundmc offline

I made a Shortcut that lets me type or dictate something easily from my iPhone and it uses indigos rest interface to update a variable with that text message. I then use a trigger upon change of the variable to broadcast that message throughout the house using Alexa, Sonos, whatever I am currently playing with.

It’s great for when I am not home and I want my wife to pick up her phone. I have the house yell at her.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:06 am
DaveL17 offline

mundmc wrote:
It’s great for when I am not home and I want my wife to pick up her phone. I have the house yell at her.

Yeah, that would go over well here. :wink:

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:17 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
mundmc wrote:

Yeah, that would go over well here. :wink:
Oh, I’m sorry if I implied this use-case was without peril.

That said, it worked really well when I kludged together something to make the Alexas talk… My then two-year-old got in the biggest argument with Alexa, with no idea that I was just dictating to my iPhone from the other room to have Alexa argue with her.

Posted on
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:13 pm
DaveL17 offline

I was just dictating to my iPhone from the other room to have Alexa argue with her.

That might be worth the risk just to see what happens. :)

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:46 am
howartp offline

mundmc wrote:
I made a Shortcut that lets me type or dictate something easily from my iPhone and it uses indigos rest interface to update a variable with that text message. I then use a trigger upon change of the variable to broadcast that message throughout the house using Alexa, Sonos, whatever I am currently playing with.

Nice!

I occasionally do this, but I have to log into the client app to do so.

Much better to do from my PC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 pm
anyone offline

CliveS wrote:
anyone wrote:

Can you share some info in how you have set these shortcuts up please.

So used to asking Siri to open\close the garage door, open Front Door and control all the lights

I am using the Reflector with REST API Keys, attached is a screenshot of how my garage door is opened quietly by calling an Action Group and below that is an screenshot of the top portion of the iOS short that my wife uses to control blinds via a menu, as I described in my post.

The iOS shortcuts make GET requests, passing my API keys. For the garage, I wanted to examine the response, so I set the result to a variable.

The way I wrote this, any response with "denied" or "not authorized"within it is treated as a successful attempt. Indigo returns a HTTP code of 401 = "You are not authorized to access that resource" when it should be returning a 200 = "Ok". See my post here about that https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25782
I believe I added the "denied" because on occasion for a non-isolated reason, I was getting that response as well.

I decided to tweak my garage door shortcut the last week. After opening or closing the door, Siri now say something if mail is in the mailbox. To do that, I send a GET request querying an Indigo variable which is returned as a JSON object, if the request to open the door is successful, and then have a IF-THEN, which has Siri say; "If you have time to check, there might be mail in the mailbox" when the value is True. Siri says nothing if the variable value is false.

My mailbox has had an Insteon Open/Close sensor which is close enough to other devices to reliably work for this purpose for years. I use to open the garage with a Control Page which showed the status of the mailbox, since I don't need use the Control Page as much anymore, this solution seemed like it should work. And so far does but to be fair, it's only been a few days.
Attachments
GarageDoorIOS_shortcut.png
iOS shortcut using Indigo to execute an Action Group to open a garage door
GarageDoorIOS_shortcut.png (486.67 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
Blind control.png
iOS shortcut using Indigo to execute an Action Group to manipulate blinds
Blind control.png (428.32 KiB) Viewed 2152 times