Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:54 am
siclark offline

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

Different Computers wrote:
Once I got it set up, I was like "what now?" and could not find the answer.

Depends on what you want to control.. If you want to try some zigbee devices, you dont need to send any MQTT commands yourself, Joe's plugin does it all for you. Happy to help walk you through it..

Posted on
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:03 am
autolog offline

Rather annoyingly a couple of my Hue Motion Sensor devices are no longer detecting motion. :(

In my efforts to try and get them working, I have updated to the latest Zigbee2MQTT (Z2M) and also using the MQTT Explorer App, published requests to Z2M to update the firmware of the Hue Motion sensors via an OTA update. The OTA update took about 45 minutes for each of my five sensors.

However although the firmware is now updated the two sensors (of five) still refuse to work. They are communicating with Z2M as every now and again a message is sent through or you can see a reaction in the log if you press the setup button once on the Hue Motion Sensor. It's just that no motion is now detected.

There are a few discussions about this happening on the Z2M Discord forums. I think I shall strike Hue Motion Sensors off my list of go-to devices which is a pity as they are quite nice units (when they work correctly).

I am now going to try one of these: SONOFF SNZB-03 ZigBee Motion Sensor :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:43 am
autolog offline

autolog wrote:
... I am now going to try one of these: SONOFF SNZB-03 ZigBee Motion Sensor

Now installed and seems to work fine other than with one caveat; You need to be running the Dev branch of Z2M: How to switch to the dev branch
On the Release version of Z2M, the sensor was identified but motion detection wasn't triggered. It is on the Dev version.

It seems the sensor has a fixed period of 60 seconds being on from when motion is detected, before switching off. If motion is detected during the 60 sescond on period, the counter resets and the 60 seconds timer starts again.

Initial impressions are positive and so I have ordered some more. :D

PS: I have also found that the sensor will attach to a magnetic holder. I had the Hue sensor mounted on its magnetic base which was screwed into the ceiling. The SONOFF SNZB-03 seems to attach quite strongly to same magnetic base (I assume from the metal in the sensor's internal battery). So I have ordered round magnets with counter sunk holes to be able to be used with the newly ordered sensors.

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:26 pm
autolog offline

Just updated my production Indigo iMac to Big Sur and Indigo is working fine. :)

Not so good news is that my Zigbee2MQTT has gone pair shaped. :(

I am getting a message:
Error: Failed to connect to the adapter (Error: SRSP - SYS - ping after 6000ms)

Looking on Zigbee2MQTT related forums, a number of solutions are offered; None of which seem to have worked so far.

One solution I haven't been able to try yet is to reflash the CC2531 as I haven't got a programmer. Luckily, Amazon has come to rescue and I have ordered one for delivery tomorrow.

The CC2531 is seen by the Mac, can be written to and I have double checked that the port is correct. The green light comes on but as soon as I start NPM it goes out. So I think communication is taking place but not correctly.

I don't think the issue is with Big Sur per se, but the install probably triggered the situation. :?

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:57 pm
siclark offline

Big Sur works with zigbee2mqtt fine as it’s running on mine.

If you need to start with a new stick then have you seen these?
I’m seriously considering upgrading.

https://electrolama.com/projects/zig-a-zig-ah/

I’ve had to start from scratch having lost setup as well, but it was pretty quick.

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:07 pm
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
... If you need to start with a new stick then have you seen these?
I’m seriously considering upgrading.

https://electrolama.com/projects/zig-a-zig-ah/

Where do you get those from? :)

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:18 pm
siclark offline

The link is on that site. It’s their own shop. Ships from UK and is about £25 I think. Much more reliable than the cheap one we have (which was good to test this all worked)

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:19 pm
siclark offline

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:03 am
autolog offline

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the info and link. :)

I will order one once he is back in early January.

Looks like it could be quite good. :D

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:13 am
siclark offline

Yeah. I think I will too. Sounds good with the extra processing power. I’m up to 19 devices now and got a few more I want.

Have you seen how HASS can auto create devices from z2m. If you are playing with the config turn on the home assistant setting to true and see what messages are produced.
I’m wondering if we could use that in indigo to create the appropriate mqtt shims templates automatically to ease the setup required.

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
... Have you seen how HASS can auto create devices from z2m. If you are playing with the config turn on the home assistant setting to true and see what messages are produced. I’m wondering if we could use that in indigo to create the appropriate mqtt shims templates automatically to ease the setup required.

I haven't seen that but will take a look when I have a working Zigbee system again.

It might be possible to auto-create MQTT shims templates - we'll see. :wink:

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 am
siclark offline

I’m going to have a test with the Lidl devices too. Seem quite cheap.

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:40 am
autolog offline

There will be a slight delay on using the programmer that arrived today - I need an additional cable which will arrive on Sunday. :|

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 am
FlyingDiver offline

autolog wrote:
I haven't seen that but will take a look when I have a working Zigbee system again.

It might be possible to auto-create MQTT shims templates - we'll see. :wink:

Possibly, but I think a better approach would be what Aaron did with the Shelly devices. Write a plugin specifically for zigbee2mqtt devices that uses the MQTT Connector plugin. Otherwise you're writing all the parsing routines to identify the devices, writing out the device definitions (templates), then relying on the user to pick the template and create the Shim device. With all the limitations of the Shims.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 pm
autolog offline

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the heads-up. :)

I will take a look at that once I have got my Zigbee system operational again. :|

EDIT: Name correction - sorry :oops: