Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:34 pm
CliveS offline

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

FlyingDiver wrote:
You've got payload type set to raw, but that's a JSON payload. Please continue this in the MQTT forum.

Thank you, now working.
Got confused (does not take much with me :( )
Thought that if it was {"state": "ON"} it was json and ON was raw, one day I hope all this clicks.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 pm
siclark offline

Unfortunately the zig-a-zig-ah are out of stock again so I am going to have to wait for one.

In the meantime I am trying to see why my Aqara sensors arent reliably going via the repeaters. One does, but another that I think should, doesnt, and is dropping off regularly.

Or I might look at the Sonoff temperature sensor for those more remote locations, assuming the zig-a-zig-ah doesnt solve the issue with its increased power.

Posted on
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:45 pm
CliveS offline

Well I ordered my zig-a-zig-ah on Sunday as soon as I got the email to say orders were open again, and this afternoon another email to say it has been sent today so hopefully it will be here tomorrow (except we are in the Orange warning area for snow overnight).

I noticed that all my Aqara devices refuse to join a Salus mains plug and a Philips Hue bulb which are both much nearer than the Pi with the CC5231 stick.
Hopefully I can reprogram the CC5231 as a repeater as that should be able to be plugged into a USB plug.

I am using Zigbee channel 25 which is in the 2.4GHz WiFi channel 11 and moved my UniFi access points to channels 1 and 6 to cut out interference but really the CC5231 has a bad press over range and reliability.

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:09 pm
siclark offline

They are back in stock so mine is hopefully coming soon too. Interesting to see how this works. Not to mention what’s involved in the upgrade.
Presuming I have to re connect all devices.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:58 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
They are back in stock so mine is hopefully coming soon too. Interesting to see how this works. Not to mention what’s involved in the upgrade.
Presuming I have to re connect all devices.

Don't hold your breathe, I ordered on the 10 Jan (Sunday) and was emailed they sent it on the 13 Jan (Wednesday) and it finally arrived yesterday 18 Jan (Monday).

Unwrapped, put the plastic case on and screwed the arial on and plugged in the Pi.

Light flashed purple on and off ( their 'blink' script to test it).

Removed it and plugged into the MacPro.

Now the fun begins , I know nothing about command line (well I do but not much :) )
But finally worked out that sudo and python3 are extras required for this process as all they show is
./cc2538-bsl.py -p /dev/tty.usbserial-2212420 -e
and what is needed is
python3 ./cc2538-bsl.py -p /dev/tty.usbserial-1420 -e

I told you are I'm not to good on the command line!

Anyway managed to erase and refresh blink.bin, I felt so proud of myself.

Downloaded the correct file from zigbee2mqtt repo and got told it was an Intel Hex format, back to the howto and managed to install the hextobin converter and voodoo happens, it works.

I backed up my configuration.yaml, deleted the devices and replaced the cc2531 for the zigazag.

Gradually with lots of button holding and pressing the devices started to populate (some were easy some not so)

Then I replaced the new configuration.yaml with my original one, rebooted and all is working except for one Aqara door sensor which according to shims is giving a string instead of bool for true/false.

Does anyone have a template for the Aqara Contact Sensor as I can't get the state into the GUI unless I say it has battery then I get 100% ?

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:59 am
siclark offline

Well done.. I shall be copying your method myself, likely in a week! Interested to know how you find it. I will hopefully be repurposing my current 2531 stick as a range extender if needed.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:24 am
CliveS offline

Well I tried to use the Salus SP600 plug for the Christmas lights in the front room, it could not be seen.

Now I placed it in the same socket and the link quality is 72 ( not too sure how reliable that is as it swings massively on all devices) but it works 100%, availability is 100% , but since Christmas I have placed the zigbee stick on a 2M usb extension cable placed ontop of the curtain rail (originally in the server room (wardrobe in spare bedroom) and changed the zigbee channel from 11 to 25 and removed all WiFi access points from channel 11 (using 1 and 6 only) so no clashing bandwidth.
As for repurposing the 2531, I will be trying to reflash the stick but not too sure what bin (hex?) file to use. Need to find a howto not dependant on the need to be using homeassistant.

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:44 am
siclark offline

It took me 6 different firmware versions, many different guides and many many iterations of flashing, to get it to work. I now have the right firmware on my Pi to use, but not sure where I got it from.
Suffice to say I am now very quick at flashing the 2251, even using it direct from pi with jumper cables and not using the debugger.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
It took me 6 different firmware versions, many different guides and many many iterations of flashing, to get it to work. I now have the right firmware on my Pi to use, but not sure where I got it from.
Suffice to say I am now very quick at flashing the 2251, even using it direct from pi with jumper cables and not using the debugger.

I take it you solder the jumpers direct, oh to be young, I am lucky to be just able to see the chip let alone the chip legs !!!

CliveS

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:49 am
siclark offline

Ha, no, I just bent the legs and put a female jumper cable on and held / balanced them in place for the 2 mins it took to flash!

And yes, seeing the pins was a struggle!

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:33 am
siclark offline

How did you install the hex2bin converter?

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:53 am
siclark offline

actually, saw the install line in instructions. Assumed I had to do something extra, but seems to have done the conversion itself when flashing?

Had some issues when the port changed on the Mac from the one used on the CC3251 despite being plugged into same socket.

All working now, and one of my old CC2351s seems to be working as a router. Going to leave it a few hours then check on the network.

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:48 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
actually, saw the install line in instructions. Assumed I had to do something extra, but seems to have done the conversion itself when flashing?

Had some issues when the port changed on the Mac from the one used on the CC3251 despite being plugged into same socket.

All working now, and one of my old CC2351s seems to be working as a router. Going to leave it a few hours then check on the network.

Congrats, glad you got the hex sorted, missed your earlier message....

If you have 'one' of you CC2351's now working as a router then it may have been one originally as only one can be the master. I have noticed that now I have a better signal strength my Salus plug is now accepting some Aqara devices where before they were not, maybe because the Salus can now be further from the Zig-a-zag!.
If I plug the CC2351 into a USB wall socket it is not seen so I will need to reprogram it or wait for Electrolama's new device that should be able to flash as a router.

CliveS

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:02 pm
siclark offline

Yes I have to flash the old controller devices with router firmware.

Have you bought another zigazigah stick?

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 pm
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
Yes I have to flash the old controller devices with router firmware.

Have you bought another zigazigah stick?

No, I am waiting for the zzz-p to be released, hopefully with router firmware.
zzh-p is the experimental version with CC2652P (built-in PA). Shares most of the same design with zzh except for the RF parts and will fit in a slightly larger case. It is a work in progress, sign up to the Electrolama mailing list to be notified of project updates and when kits/assembled units go on sale.

Mind you the zigazigah stick has stopped the Aqara battery devices randomly dropping off the network so may not need it.

CliveS