Using Stream Decks as an Indigo Controller

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:32 pm
Hap offline

Using Stream Decks as an Indigo Controller

Using Stream Decks to control some office lights from my desk without having to open the Indigo app (the Indigo server is in my wiring closet in another part of the house), my iPad, or a webpage. Just a single button push. I spent a couple of hours trying to write a plugin to StreamDeck to make it crossplatform (using Javascript) and realized I was making it too hard. I just created an Automater application and have the button "open" it. I have far, far more devices in the house. In fact I've already thinking I want to use it for garage door status (open/close).

Just controls a few scenes in my home office, but I'm thinking I could get very elaborate if I take the time to write an actual stream deck plug in - including reflecting status (the mail icon shows number of unread emails for instance and the CPU one reports CPU utilizatoin)

streamdeck.jpg
streamdeck.jpg (395.64 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Close up of the buttons from the editor
buttons.png
buttons.png (134.6 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Automator code (changed from my personal information to make generic)
code.png
code.png (193.29 KiB) Viewed 3544 times

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:08 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Using Stream Decks as an Indigo Controller

Neat! If the first button produces money, I'd be pressing it non-stop.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:22 pm
Hap offline

Hey, if it did that, the button would be worn out.

It just launches all my apps to do budgeting. Banktivity, a custom app, PCalc and web browsers to my account locations.

Posted on
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:48 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I'd been looking at those. I think I'll get one and see if I can come up with an integration with Indigo that's easy to use.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:23 am
autolog offline

Touch Portal looks like it might be a cheaper way to do this - https://www.touch-portal.com/index.php :)

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:30 am
Vangelis offline

Defo would like a Stream Deck Plugin. Got one of these last Christmas for doing exactly what the OP is doing. Latest firmware supports animated GIFs if I recall.

USB connected but could use a Wireless USB Hub to allow for remote control - think I posted about this?

Vangelis

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:51 am
peszko offline

That looks very interesting. I like real buttons.

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 pm
Hap offline

autolog wrote:
Touch Portal looks like it might be a cheaper way to do this - https://www.touch-portal.com/index.php :)

True, but the buttons in Stream Deck are always in front of you. You don't have to open an app, or anything else. Plus the are layered. You could have a single button that goes to multiple layers. I originally got these for using on my gaming PC as programmable buttons for a complicated flight sim. They proved so useful that I started using them on my Mac with MailTags/Mail-Act-On. It automatically brings up a profile (i.e. set of buttons) for Apple Mail when Mail is in the front. I probably have 90 buttons programed for mail).

If someone comes up with a plug in that allows two way comms using the Indigo API, I would be in Heaven.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:26 pm
FlyingDiver offline

If you're interested in using a StreamDeck as an interface to Indigo, please see viewtopic.php?f=216&t=23879

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2020 3:07 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Test release of plugin now available, see viewtopic.php?f=216&t=23937&p=191626#p191626

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2020 3:27 pm
Turribeach offline

This seems cool but I am not sure I see any other use case that it connected to my MacMini. Since it needs USB and a PC or a Mac it's probably unsuitable for others places like kitchen or living room (at least in my house). Then there is the price. Wouldn't a cheap second hand iPad not be better for this? The iPad could be connected to a charger and have no passcode, so one tap to wake it it up should be the only thing needed to then use Indigo Touch to execute anything you want. I have been debating whether to buy such an iPad or "retire" one of the older ones in the house. But I am using less Indigo Touch these days due to the Alexa integration. I do use Fibaro Button for shutting off all lights and activating my custom alarm when leaving the house.

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2020 3:30 pm
FlyingDiver offline

It's not a replacement for an iPad. I wouldn't recommend getting one just for Indigo. But if you already use one for other things, having it able to command Indigo directly could be very useful.

Also, it does not require a computer. They have mobile app that runs on phones (and maybe tablets). As well as integration with Corsair keyboards that have "G" keys.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1