Automagic motorized hidden bed!

Cannot wait to make some macros...

https://youtu.be/UV2bjHT6ImY?t=1s

I love me some actuators :D

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Automagic motorized hidden bed!

From the name, I thought for sure that this was going to be a Colin Furze video.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:35 pm
mundmc offline

DaveL17 wrote:
From the name, I thought for sure that this was going to be a Colin Furze video.
I discovered Colin Furze less than two months ago- this is a massive compliment and I thank you ;)

This vid is from my alternate life on avsforums.

I am torn between controlling this with either;
a) a Shelly2.5 and a DPDT relay
-or-
b) an 8 channel relay

B) is easier, but I am still trying to practice with Shellies, MQTT Connector, and ShellyMQTT.

I am more than open to any other options for controlling it. I tried Broadlink (using a Homebridge on a raspi) to capture the RF controls, but I I couldn’t get the Broadlink to transmit a working code.
Last edited by mundmc on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:45 am
DaveL17 offline

I just discovered him (or perhaps rediscovered) while holed up at home.

I've been binge watching Colin Furze, Joel Telling (3D Printing Nerd), Bob Clagett (I Like to Make Stuff) and Alec Steele (Forged Steele) among others. Your bed could hang with any of them!

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:24 am
Swancoat offline

Nice! I suspect Austin Powers would be a big fan!

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:12 am
mundmc offline

I won’t lie- I’ve considered a macro that turn the led’s red, dim the lights, and plays Barry White. ;)

Posted on
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 am
aaronlionsheep offline

mundmc wrote:
-or-
b) an 8 channel relay

B) is easier, but I am still trying to practice with Shellies, MQTT Connector, and ShellyMQTT.

I am more than open to any other options for controlling it. I tried Broadlink (using a Homebridge on a raspi) to capture the RF controls, but I I couldn’t get the Broadlink to transmit a working code.

That looks really cool! I think a Shelly would work pretty good for this scenario. Let me know if you have any questions about getting one setup, or make a post over on the subform (https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=330).

From the video, it looks like you are controlling a 12v source, so you could probably get away with using a Shelly 1 (not 1PM) because it has an isolated relay. You could power the Shelly device directly from 12v and have the internal relay also switch 12v.

Posted on
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:49 am
mundmc offline

aaronlionsheep wrote:
mundmc wrote:
-or-
b) an 8 channel relay

That looks really cool! I think a Shelly would work pretty good for this scenario. Let me know if you have any questions about getting one setup, or make a post over on the subform (https://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=330).

From the video, it looks like you are controlling a 12v source, so you could probably get away with using a Shelly 1 (not 1PM) because it has an isolated relay. You could power the Shelly device directly from 12v and have the internal relay also switch 12v.
Thanks Aaron and great plugin! I need a power-on, power-off, and reverse-polarity ability for the actuator. You are correct it’s all 12V wiring.

My fist swing was using two Shelly1’s and a 12V dpdt relay. One Shelly controlled supply of 12V power, and one switched the the dpdt relay. Unfortunately, the relay failed and, in my impulsive swapping of wires or possibly due to a short circuit, I fried one of my Shelly1’s.

If there’s a simpler way to do this lemme know- i just need to swap polarity on the inputs to the riser and control whether the inputs are given juice.

Posted on
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:41 am
aaronlionsheep offline

mundmc wrote:
aaronlionsheep wrote:
mundmc wrote:
-or-
b) an 8 channel relay

Thanks Aaron and great plugin! I need a power-on, power-off, and reverse-polarity ability for the actuator. You are correct it’s all 12V wiring.

My fist swing was using two Shelly1’s and a 12V dpdt relay. One Shelly controlled supply of 12V power, and one switched the the dpdt relay. Unfortunately, the relay failed and, in my impulsive swapping of wires or possibly due to a short circuit, I fried one of my Shelly1’s.

If there’s a simpler way to do this lemme know- i just need to swap polarity on the inputs to the riser and control whether the inputs are given juice.

If you have the option to switch to 24v instead of 12v, then I think you could actually use a single Shelly 2.5 in "Roller" mode. This mode links the two channels together to control window shades and determine which direction to move the motor. This mode has power monitoring to know when there is an obstruction, limiting switches, and even position control (once it has learned how long each open/close takes). But to operate in DC, the Shelly 2.5 operates between 24v and 60v.

I haven't implemented the roller mode in my plugin yet, but all of this should be do-able from the web UI if you want to try it out.

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 pm
mundmc offline

Intriguing and thank you- I thought the dpdt nature of the Shelly2.5 just lead it to be marketed as “shade/blind controller.”

a) I’m going for simplest AND affordable, as tinkering time is money. The task of learning a new api right now is gonna be, sadly for me, a day’s work. I think I’ll just use it’s default functionality, though I am concerned about the 24V component. Buck converters work fine, but I’m trying to keep it as quick as possible just because I have entirely too many projects going (as evidenced by theater and new 3D printing habit- see photo).

I’m trying to remember b)...

Edit: I forgot original b) so I’ll freestyle with:

b) [mention]aaronlionsheep [/mention] thanks for an awesome plugin (which I THINK might even be your first?)

Edit 2: Oh! I remember b), so we’ll make it c:

c) Does the Shelly 2.5 have a 12V DC mode at all?

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 am
aaronlionsheep offline

mundmc wrote:
Intriguing and thank you- I thought the dpdt nature of the Shelly2.5 just lead it to be marketed as “shade/blind controller.”

a) I’m going for simplest AND affordable, as tinkering time is money. The task of learning a new api right now is gonna be, sadly for me, a day’s work. I think I’ll just use it’s default functionality, though I am concerned about the 24V component. Buck converters work fine, but I’m trying to keep it as quick as possible just because I have entirely too many projects going (as evidenced by theater and new 3D printing habit- see photo).

I’m trying to remember b)...

Edit: I forgot original b) so I’ll freestyle with:

b) [mention]aaronlionsheep [/mention] thanks for an awesome plugin (which I THINK might even be your first?)

Edit 2: Oh! I remember b), so we’ll make it c:

c) Does the Shelly 2.5 have a 12V DC mode at all?

Sadly the Shelly 2.5 only supports 24v-60v DC, so I think that would rule it out for your setup without switching to 24v. For simplicity, a DPDT relay sounds like a good option.

Your are correct in that ShellyMQTT is my first public plugin. I had previously contributed to the precursor of FlyingDiver's MQTTConnector (GreenSky MQTTBridge) and the precursor to that (mqttGateway). I guess there is an MQTT pattern emerging. It seems Joe has done a great job because I haven't found any need to contribute! I have also done a few smaller plugins as experiments.

Posted on
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:59 am
mundmc offline

Good to know! I suppose I could throw a buck converter in there for 10 bones and skip the dpdt relay, less mechanical parts

Page 1 of 1