Indigo / Node-Red / Alexa

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:50 pm
Colly offline

Re: Indigo / Node-Red / Alexa

Could be the case. In any event she (Alexa) is back :)

Posted on
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 pm
siclark offline

Colly wrote:
Could be the case. In any event she (Alexa) is back :)

Posted on
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:34 am
stuartcolman offline

Sorry for not replying to anyone, I posted the original post, forgot to set the "Notify when a reply is posted", and forgot all about it for a few days.

Anyway, I went through the process virtually the same as Barilko. I started using Node-Red when looking HomeAssistant, got the hang of it fairly quickly and started connecting it to things.

You can run Node-Red on a Raspberry Pi if needed, or even in a docker container (I tried it out on my Synology NAS and it worked a treat), but just decided to keep everything together on the Mac.

I am still in the early stages of getting it working, so I can't really shed any more light on getting the dimming or on/off into one command, but it looks like we have a solution anyway. The one thing I am working on the moment is to get the status fed back into the Amazon Echo Hub, so the device shows as being "on" in the Amazon Echo App. Not major, but will give me a warm feeling inside :).

Again sorry for not coming back earlier.

Stuart

Posted on
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:55 am
Londonmark offline

The one thing I am working on the moment is to get the status fed back into the Amazon Echo Hub, so the device shows as being "on" in the Amazon Echo App. Not major, but will give me a warm feeling inside

That would be great. And I know exactly what you mean!

Posted on
Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:36 pm
siclark offline

Oh wow... there is a Node-Red Alexa skill. This is the future, and a taste of what a native Indigo Alexa app could look like. In the meantime, its here and it works.

http://red.cb-net.co.uk/

It took me a little time to get it setup as I messed up my passwords between the skill site, the alexa app and node red, but got it working and its great.

As its a full skill, its not just replicating Hue bulbs, I have a smart lock in Alexa working. "Alexa, unlock gate". "What is your voice code". "xxxx". "Unlocking gate"

It has the option to report status back into the Alexa app if that bothers you. There are a few more steps to setup if you want, but its not needed.

The payload is much much simpler so it cuts out some of the complexity we had above for On/Off and Brightness.

Attached is a sample of the flow.

The instructions are ok, ignore the bit about the local MQQT if you are doing the standard install. It has nothing to do with your own MQQT install. Just leave the 2 websettings as they are in the node config in node-red. Any issues, ask here, or there is a slack channel for the dev.

I will try and get some more detailed instructions up on some of the flows tomorrow. Super excited about this, even if it does mean use of a third party skill, although you can set it up to run on your own if you want. An Indigo one would be much preferable.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (52 KiB) Viewed 3802 times

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:02 pm
siclark offline

15 devices set up and as well as a lock alongside the usual lights ice also setup my TVs so I can say , Alexa mute the kitchen TV etc. Although still for a little more playing to do with those.

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:17 pm
MarcoGT offline

Barilko wrote:
I've been checking back for an Alexa solution that didn't involve getting a gen 1 echo and this has been the first hope I've found. I had never heard of node red an hour ago and now I have Alexa control of one of my lights back.
Here's what I did:
Watched a 10 minute youtube video of getting started with node red.
Installed node.js on my mac from here:
https://nodejs.org/en/#home-downloadhead
Ran install for node red from mac terminal:
sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm node-red
Started node red with this command in terminal:
node-red
Connected to node red in browser:
http://127.0.0.1:1880/
From node red menu go to Manage Palette
Click the Install tab
Search for and install both of these:
node-red-contrib-amazon-echo
node-red-contrib-indigo
Dragged the following items into the flow window:
Amazon Echo Hub
Amazon Echo Device
Indigo Set Device
Connect those 3 devices with a wire in that order (Echo Hub - Echo Device - Indigo Set Device)
Hit Deploy (Echo node shows green i.e. connected)
Set the Amazon Echo Device name to "Test Light"
Hit Deploy again
Tell Alexa to discover new devices (Alexa found "Test Light")
Now, double click the indigo device in the flow window to bring up the properties
hit the pencil icon to add details for your indigo server (ip address, port, username, password, and give it name eg. MyIndigoServer)
Hit Deploy Again
Double click the indigo device again and select the controller by the name you gave it in the last step (i.e. MyIndigoServer)
Click the "ItemName" drop down box and you will see the list of your indigo devices
Select the Indigo light you want to control
Click the "Key" drop down" box and select "On/Off State"
Leave the "Value" blank
Hit Deploy again

Now say... "Alexa, turn on the test light".
Mine WORKED!

I haven't tried any dimming yet.

Sorry if I missed anything or if this isn't clear... I'm pretty excited to get this working again so I quickly put out this post in case anyone else wanted to try it.
I'll add a screenshot here of my setup as well.

Thanks a lot; I am trying to do that but Echo Hub does not get green (online) and I also have the permanent warning that I am using an unsupported version of node (but I downloaded the one you suggested)

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:48 pm
siclark offline

Hi Marco.

Did you download Current or LTS node-red? Its confusingly named, but LTS is the stable version that is probably best to use.

If you have node-red up and running I would actually look at the skill device (unless you have issues with using a skill)

In Alexa iOS app, search for skills and install "Node-RED Smart Home Control"
Go to red.cb-net.co.uk and setup an account .
Go to My Devices and setup a device.
Then ask Alexa to discover new devices.

In node-red install this palette . "node-red-contrib-alexa-smart-home"

Drag the Alexa Smart Home v3 node to the screen. Add your red.cb-net account details, leaving the 2 web addressed unchanged.
Pick the Alexa device you created above.

Then using same indigo palette in the original instructions link the Alexa device to your Indigo device. Its simplest if you start with an On/Off bulb.

Hit deploy and test.

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm
MarcoGT offline

Problem was I had a older node version (6.9) which is not supported by node-red
Installed the latest 12.14.x and it works; I got a device discovered (by Alexa, in the iOS App), but now it does not work anymore.
I followed the instructions, but to me it is not clear why I need the Alexa Skill in the iOS app.

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm
siclark offline

There are 2 Alexa skills for Node-Red

The original one, node-red-contrib-amazon-echo, that is a direct connection to your local Alexas on port 80. It works in the same way that the Alexa plugin in Ingido works by emulating a Hue bulb.

The other one, node-red-contrib-alexa-smart-home connects to Alexa via a skill. There are a few extra steps in setting it up but it gives much greater flexibility in the devices you can create as you are not limited to bulbs. You can create locks, speakers, valves and many other devices.

Simon

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 pm
MarcoGT offline

It works!!!

My wife will be happy, she does not have to remember what Indigo controls and what Alexa controls :D

Thanks a lot

Posted on
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:51 pm
siclark offline

Great. Which one did you use?

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 am
MarcoGT offline

I use the second approach.

So, some news; I configured a couple of lights (Fibaro Switch) and it works fine; also the Fibaro Roller Shutter is working but only for a blind, not for the other three that I configured;
In Terminal where I started node-red I just see (for the device not working): "getting device: Tapparella Divano" and nothing else instead for the devices that are working I do not see any logs.

Then, why the % for the blinds is not reported in Alexa? This happens also if I use the slider directly inside the Alexa app.

Also the Fibaro Plugs are not working (but correctly configured)

For all the devices which are not working, Alexa answers "Ok", but then nothing happens

Thanks
Marco
Attachments
node-red-alexa.jpg
node-red-alexa.jpg (261.57 KiB) Viewed 3688 times

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:51 am
siclark offline

If you have a look at the documents on the site it shows you how to feed status back into the Alexa device to have it updated in the app. It’s not needed as Alexa will send the off command for instance even if she thinks the device is off.

However it’s certainly possible just a bit harder. You need to understand to format of the message to feed back, and I haven’t worked that out yet.

I use the iOS home app to see devices on my phone so don’t care what Alexa thinks the device state is as I never open the app other than testing.

Posted on
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 am
MarcoGT offline

I also do not care what Alexa App says, just asking :D
I use Indigo Touch or Home App.

Furthermore, I solved the problem; I used "indigo-get-device" instead of "indigo-set-device".

Thanks
Marco