Airplay + Airfoil + Sonos = Announcements!(?)

Posted on
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 pm
mundmc offline

Airplay + Airfoil + Sonos = Announcements!(?)

I know I am not alone in looking for bulletproof spoken announcements. I think the closest I have come is:
1) Existing Sonos network
2) With new Sonos One grouped with them
and
3) Airfoil

Just Sonos (with plugin) was unreliable.
Recommissioned AppleTV 3rd Gens + cheap speakers were unreliable (some dropped from airplay, and the sound was meh).
Now, adding a Sonos One to my Sonos Play whole-house group allows for booming announcements using the indigo.speak() function.

To ensure connection, I have Indigo toggle the connection to the Sonos One off/on prior to an announcement, but it seems to be working quite well!

Posted on
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:44 pm
mundmc offline

Re: Airplay + Airfoil + Sonos = Announcements!(?)

<<crickets>>

Well, I stand corrected, sorta...
If ANYBODY is using my Spotify account, when Airplay connects to the Sonos One (and, in turn, the Sonos group in which it is contained), after the announcement is spoken, whatever is on Spotify will start playing on each speaker separately, so they cannot even all be muted. Super weird.

Lost, like, 20 billion spouse points when I came home at 10:30 from work and very angry industrial music began playing in the entire first floor of my house.

Posted on
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:11 am
norcoscia offline

I wish there was a bullet proof way to send voice announcements - had the same experiences as you - Sonos and airplay are not 100% reliable - really crazy to me that in 2019 we don't have a way to have solid announcements house wide w/o running cables and speakers to every room. I think Domopad is adding the ability to play MP3 soon, that may be the hot ticket - only time will tell.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:29 am
mundmc offline

norcoscia wrote:
I wish there was a bullet proof way to send voice announcements - had the same experiences as you - Sonos and airplay are not 100% reliable - really crazy to me that in 2019 we don't have a way to have solid announcements house wide w/o running cables and speakers to every room. I think Domopad is adding the ability to play MP3 soon, that may be the hot ticket - only time will tell.

Yes- I think of you when I post these hair brain schemes of mine!
I will say, this APPEARS to be the most reliable, in that I am not LOSING announcements, just playing music oddly.

Posted on
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:43 pm
mundmc offline

Status update: For reasons totally unclear to me, when Airfoil connects to make an announcement or doorbell chime to a Sonos group, even when Airfoil disconnects immediately afterwards, my Sonos insists on playing whatever Spotify account was paused to the entire group.

Page 1 of 1