Success: Integration of AWS IoT button (Amazon Dash button)

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:34 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Success: Integration of AWS IoT button (Amazon Dash button)

I've done this using Amazon's actual IoT button ($20, linked below), but it can also be done by "hacking" the standard Amazon Dash buttons ($5) used to order products.

http://amzn.to/2gwkopJ

Little credit is due me. The real enabler here is Joe's (flying diver) Better Email plugin. I configured the button to send an email to my dedicated Indigo email address, then configured the Better Email plugin to scan the incoming email and fire one of three different triggers based on whether the button was single-, double-, or long-clicked.

PRO: With a keychain-hangable WiFi button, I can now trigger any of three different Indigo actions with a click.

CON: There's a ~5-second delay in the execution as the button communicates with AWS and sends the email, and Better Email then "interprets" the email and triggers.

If anyone is interested in doing this themselves, here's how:

1. Buy the button

2. Set up the button to send an email when clicked.

3. Set up Better Email to scan incoming email and fire the appropriate trigger. This is done by first creating a Better Email device for scanning the email address, then creating the three triggers.

Assuming you used the default Amazon instructions when setting up your button, the emails it sends will look something like this:

aws-iot-email-examples.png
aws-iot-email-examples.png (80.04 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

In the Better Email trigger setup, you'll want to use a regex match in the MessageText field that will look for both the serial number of your particular button, along with the click-type.

regex.png
regex.png (45.06 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

That's it. Yes, this is a very skinny explanation of the process and assumes a wee bit of Indigo familiarity, but even a detailed step-by-step would be simple.
Last edited by ChopOMatic on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:33 am
Bollar offline

Re: Success: Integration of AWS IoT button (Amazon Dash butt

Thanks for this - looks cool.

I see the v2 buttons come in February, so maybe I'll place an order and play with this on a snowy day.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:38 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Re: Success: Integration of AWS IoT button (Amazon Dash butt

Welcome. I hadn't heard about the v2 buttons. Gonna check that out right now!

Page 1 of 1