Tell me about your lock implementation

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 7:14 am
Different Computers offline

Tell me about your lock implementation

Yes, I know Indigo doesn't support them. But I know some of you use other workarounds to access locks. And we're just finishing an exterior renovation that includes new door hardware.

I still use my ST hub for 2 Osram GardenLights and a Sengeld bulb that Hue doesn't support, so I suppose I could use that, but reliability and speed are much more of an issue for locks than for garden and garage auxiliary lighting! And I don't want to put more on ST. The idea is to get rid of the damn thing!

So tell me how you make your locks work in an Indigo-centric setup. Aside from metal keys, that is.

Pardon the pun, but key for me: Not going the HASS route, that's too much messing about with programing for me.

I'm comfortable with using semi-backdoor methods to trigger IFTTT. Things like Folder Actions and Dropbox. And I'm about to get around to implementing HomeBridge for Siri, so a Siri-compatible lock is an option.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 7:19 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Tell me about your lock implementation

I have a Kwikset Z-wave lock and a Vera Lite just to bridge between Indigo and the lock. Adding another lock soon, close enough to the first that the Vera will still be in range of both. I have a third door that I'd like to put a keypad lock on, but I have not found any small enough to fit (most of the door is a glass panel).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 11:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

+1 on the Vera bridge.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 11:48 am
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
+1 on the Vera bridge.

+infinity on native support ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 2:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

durosity wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
+1 on the Vera bridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That wasn't an option (though of course I'd love to see it as well)... :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 23, 2016 2:32 pm
durosity offline

jay (support) wrote:
durosity wrote:
jay (support) wrote:
+1 on the Vera bridge.

That wasn't an option (though of course I'd love to see it as well)... :lol:

Damn, I was hoping for a "watch this space" reply ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 12:40 pm
akimball offline

My locks (doors with deadbolts) work very well using a multi-device standard insteon solution with the standard Indigo support. No hacking required.

All doors (even glass sliding doors) have two hidden door sensors (HDS's). For normal doors (not sliding) I use one HDS usually above the uppermost hinge to tell me if the door is open or closed and I use a 2nd HDS for those doors that have deadbolts in the deadbolt pocket to let me know if the deadbolt tongue is extended or not. usually I drill the hole 3/4" hole 4" deep in the deadbolt pocket, and then wrap a rubberband or two around the HDS to make it fit tight in the deadbolt pocket.... this sets the depth of the HDS and allows me to pull it out when the battery needs to be replaced... on the deadbolt HDS, I generally remove the mounting screw plastic with a knife. Rubber bands are a very scientific high tech solution which actually work out slightly better than duct tape. No seriously, the rubber bands really do make it work since the deadbolt opening and closing against the HDS button makes it difficult to set the depth of the HDS in the deadbolt pocket any other way... and miricle of miracles, it works. Dad-gum-it.

For sliding glass doors, I mount an HDS in the frame to indicate if the door is open or closed... and a 2nd HDS under a plastic tongue lever such that when the latch catches, the tongue depresses the HDS button. I posted a picture DIY on this a while back if interested (works great now for nearly 3 years on 3 sliding doors).

Next, if I want to control the door lock itself using insteon, I've been buying a MiLocks QF-01SN rf lock and an Insteon Lock Controller. Works great, batteries last and last (almost 2 years on one) and these give me accurate control of locking and unlocking. Note that the HDS sensor in the deadbolt pocket provide positive indication of the state of the MiLock. The fact that the MiLock has no feedback is of no concern if you already have an HDS sensor installed in the deadbolt pocket.

For control pages, I use a combination of controls... here is what I use for "floorplan" lock controller controls:

The icons on the left are a sandwich of two icons (a small red rounded corner "chicklet" button which glows bright red if the door is open... and a "lock status" icon sitting on top of that which is either locked or unlocked. The lock control buttons are obvious.
5.jpg
Locked... door not open.
5.jpg (5.53 KiB) Viewed 4560 times

6.jpg
Unlocked... door not open.
6.jpg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 4560 times

In both images, the HDS door sensor indicates that the door is closed... at least.

Cost with no sale prices:
MiLock $99
Insteon Door Controller $49
Two Insteon HDS $70 ($35 each).

Total cost $220 per door. Not cheap but you get two sensors plus lock control and long battery life. For me this has been very reliable.
Last edited by akimball on Tue May 24, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Al

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 1:19 pm

The MiLock website is remarkably unhelpful.

I had no idea that there were Insteon compatible locks. But why does it require its own special controller?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 24, 2016 2:01 pm
akimball offline

The MiLock device is an "RF" device and come with an RF key-chain FOB for opening as well. I don't use the FOB. The Insteon Door Controller simply translates the open/closed insteon commands into an RF signal. This is the only lock controller supported directly with Indigo I think... the only Insteon one maybe. They say the controller and MiLock must be within 30-feet of one another.

One door controller can operate several MiLock devices, but I can't see how this is useful. So in reality you'll need one insteon door controller with each MiLock.

Documentation here: http://www.smarthome.com/milocks-qf-01s ... ickel.html

... and here: http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2862-2 ... oller.html

The lock controller is a revamped insteon model. Smaller but other than that I'm not sure there are many changes.

One last thing (sorry for the edits)... the MiLock comes in a bunch of finishes and a few configurations (deadbolt only without keypad for example).

-Al

Posted on
Wed May 25, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks everyone.

Alas, it seems my wife was impatient to get the new hardware installed and has purchased new, dumb hardware ahead of me.

Maybe in the future!

Posted on
Wed May 25, 2016 11:29 am
akimball offline

I can see the problem lol. Wise man.

I will say however, that in my case, the automated remote-actuated door locks (with combinations) have my wife wanting me to do that to every exterior door, including the sliding glass doors which I'm still working on a solution for automated remote lock/unlock capability. I can't tell you how nice it is to check state of the entire home from my bed when retiring (6200-square feet in my case... it takes awhile to walk around and check all the doors). My wife absolutely LOVES the ability (or has come to love it) since installing remote lock capability in the home. This has been one feature of my home automation hobby that ultimately scored points. :)

-Al

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 5:57 am
norcoscia offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I have a Kwikset Z-wave lock and a Vera Lite just to bridge between Indigo and the lock. Adding another lock soon, close enough to the first that the Vera will still be in range of both. I have a third door that I'd like to put a keypad lock on, but I have not found any small enough to fit (most of the door is a glass panel).

Hi Joe, can you tell me a little more about your Indigo / Vera Lite / Z-wave door lock integration. I had nothing but problems with my previous HA setup (not Indigo). Locks only worked intermittently - poor battery life. Adding "low power" capable device in the area of the locks did not help, I finally turned it all off.

What rage is possible once the lock is paired, how long to you typically get between battery swaps - is there any upside to going with a different Vera controller or is the Vera Lite all that is needed for a good door lock integration . And finally - do you expect V7 of indigo to maintain the option to bridge with Vera.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations - I have the locks but I don't want to create a big expense (and headache) if it will not work reliably and efficiently....

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 6:27 am
kw123 offline

I also have the milocks with the additional sensor. It has been working for about 2 years
The electronics works fine
Remotes work fine
Integration into indigo is very good
Battery life depends on how often you open/ close
In average I have a battery life of 3 months.

The only problem I have is mechanical. One of my doors is 50+ years old and it and the house move with humidity and temp changes so that the lock does not always open / close as it does hit the hole. To lock it manually you need to push /pull. And replacing that door is a non starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 6:50 am
FlyingDiver offline

norcoscia wrote:
Hi Joe, can you tell me a little more about your Indigo / Vera Lite / Z-wave door lock integration. I had nothing but problems with my previous HA setup (not Indigo). Locks only worked intermittently - poor battery life. Adding "low power" capable device in the area of the locks did not help, I finally turned it all off.

What rage is possible once the lock is paired, how long to you typically get between battery swaps - is there any upside to going with a different Vera controller or is the Vera Lite all that is needed for a good door lock integration . And finally - do you expect V7 of indigo to maintain the option to bridge with Vera.

Thanks in advance for any help or recommendations - I have the locks but I don't want to create a big expense (and headache) if it will not work reliably and efficiently....

The lock's only been installed a week or so, so I have no idea on the battery life. The battery indicator in the (Vera bridged) Indigo device seems to work, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Right now the VeraLite is only about 10 feet from the lock. Final planned location is about 20 feet. I can say that the 40 feet to my original planned location was to far. I could move the Vera or add Z-wave repeaters. I opted for moving the Vera, but using repeaters would have been fine too. I don't see any need for the fancier Vera controller, UNLESS you don't have hard-wired Ethernet to use for it. The Lite does not have Wifi.

The Vera bridge is part of Indigo, and I have no reason to expect it to go away in V7. At worst, they might finally figure out a way to support Lock devices directly, and the Vera won't be needed anymore. I expect that's a very small probability, so I'm not worried about it. If it does happen, there's always eBay.

It's been very reliable so far, but this is a brand new house and we've only been it it a month. And, like I said, that lock's only been installed a week.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu May 26, 2016 7:28 am
norcoscia offline

Thanks Joe, and best wishes with your new home - I hope all your HA dreams come true :D
Last edited by norcoscia on Thu May 26, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

_______
Norm