Pete's R&D Build Thread

Posted on
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:38 pm
petematheson offline

Re: Pete's R&D Build Thread

DaveL17 wrote:
I'll be interested to hear your experience with the G3 camera and how you get it to work with Indigo. I'm curious whether the latest generation requires the Unifi NVR in order to work or if you can access the camera directly.

The G3 Camera's can be accessed directly, it was the earlier ones which were locked in to the Unifi NVR only :)

Posted on
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

Pete's R&D Build Thread

This is great news, thanks! I thought that was the case, but was having a tough time parsing information to be certain.

I may be going shopping soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm
howartp offline

howartp wrote:
petematheson wrote:
Anybody want to pick that one up? Happily pay a small fee to someone!

Seriously, I'm happy to take a look at the plugin and see what it does/doesn't/could do - would you be happy sharing your access details by PM? - obviously I won't "summon" the car to come to me, unless I get bored...

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (135.36 KiB) Viewed 3325 times

This plugin is so easy to extend from what GGlockner wrote before, it's amazing.

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 am
durosity offline

Awesome. I’m gonna go buy a Tesla.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:53 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Awesome. I’m gonna go buy a Tesla.

Pick one up for me while you are out. Also, say "Hi" to Elon for me.

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:08 pm
johnpolasek offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I'll be interested to hear your experience with the G3 camera and how you get it to work with Indigo. I'm curious whether the latest generation requires the Unifi NVR in order to work or if you can access the camera directly.

I've done it both ways through bert's security camera plugin; currently I'm using the Unifi out of paranoia from the bad experience I got on the Davis Weather Station when I tried to access it directly while it was linked to the DavisWeather website for WU uploads... and locking up about once a week when the data requests stepped on each other. Both the baseball and hockeypuck versions seem to have no problem supporting data streams , but since the unifi is regarded as a necessity as an independent archive and willing to serve up the images, it's one less possibility to worry about

Posted on
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm
DaveL17 offline

Thanks for the reply. For the moment, I’m considering the cameras as a convenience rather than for security, so archive wouldn’t be needed.

That’s not to say that I might not change my mind at some future point, though.

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:38 pm
petematheson offline

Difficult to find time to update this...

Bought a Yale Conexis L1 lock after discovering the previous model with built in keypad has been discontinued. Also I spotted Amazon had them at a bargain of £180, around £70 less than normal.

Had it professionally installed by a Yale certified guy who couldn’t get the door to unlock once it was closed and locked!
So I ordered a second one, which had the same issue.
Turns out that when you pull the handle up and the multi point lock engages / pulls the door fully closed that it was putting enough pressure on the lock to stop it opening.

So back to Amazon the first one will go, hopefully if they’ll take it!
Luckily Prime Now had one in stock for 2 hour delivery, but at £199

We also now have solar! A 6kWp solar edge array installed which kicks out plenty to run the house on during the day.

My problem now is storing that energy to use in the evenings, currently waiting on a Tesla powerwall to be installed to cover that part off.
My normal usage per day is around 20kWh, so I should be completely off grid (on sunny days) once the battery is installed.

Next I spotted these on Hot UK Deals and ran out to grab all the stock B&Q had left. These were £39 each instead of their usual £100+ I believe!

Haven’t quite worked out where to use them yet.
So far I have just pimped out the new arrivals cot

Spot the trapped cat.

Garden watering has now been fully automated via a Hozelock cloud controller. Unfortunately no Indigo integration as of yet - but this schedules watering for me and has an irrigation system running to a sprinkler / baskets / pots / around the outside of our whole garden. Neat!

Currently waiting for BT to sort out my internet with FTTP... I’m still on a ridiculous 10mb down / 0.5mb up service even though I’m on FTTC!
Fttp apparently is available at the end of this year, however a local company has already run the fibre and can offer it to me now - but at £150 p/m and on a 3yr term, which feels a bit of a rip off compared to BT’s £50 p/m for the same service (it wasn’t a leased line they were offering).

We’re also about to get our bathroom redone, so I have bought a Sonos One to mount upside down in the bathroom for Alexa voice control, and music / light control etc..

I was tempted for a smart mirror but couldn’t find anything suitable. There are some mirrors with built in Alexa coming out, but no price or costs available yet. Philips hue have one coming soon but there is no heated glass to prevent it fogging up. No shaving socket and no way to switch it on unless you use their separate (not waterproof!!) dimmer switch. Ridiculous for the price they want.

We’ll also be putting in some LED strip lighting for shelves built into the shower tiles, and maybe under the bath - haven’t decided yet.
I’ve got an Aeotec LED Strip which I absolutely love (its bright) but with the Philips hue and a spare Fibaro RGBW Module I’ll see what the electrician thinks.

Think that’s about it for now! :)

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm
akimball offline

I thought cats could see in the dark :shock:

-Al

Posted on
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:56 pm
DaveL17 offline

Small wonder you've not had time to update the thread, what with all the buying you've been doing.

Nice additions!