Amazon Echo + Indigo - Quick and Dirty Test

Posted on
Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:56 pm
hishamk offline

Amazon Echo + Indigo - Quick and Dirty Test

Installing Z-Wave dimmers in a new build, thought I'd give the Alexa API a spin together with Indigo!

Works quite well, though the recognition is iffy. I improved it a bit by using a word distance algorithm and including the names of all the possible devices, so if it hears "Counting Lights" instead of "Counter Lights", it would still be able to figure out that it's actually Counter Lights.

Even so - word choices are important. Some are either too awkward to say within the dictates (pun intended) of Alexa's required request/sentence structure. Yes, I have a set of lights called "Table" since "Pendants" or "Dining Table Lights" wasn't always 100% (even with the current distance algo).

The other thing is naming my app "Casa Mia". Why? Well, "home" "home-buddy", "home-something" all confused Echo and triggered its wemo/other supported home control stuff which I don't use (Echo would say something to the effect of "can't find device so-and-so in your device-list".

Video here: https://youtu.be/X49_Oy-4gRg

Posted on
Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:30 am
durosity offline

Re: Amazon Echo + Indigo - Quick and Dirty Test

It's very cool, except the "hello" she says.. I know it's there so you know she's awaiting a command but it's kinda awkward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:21 pm
wideglidejrp offline

Looks like we are getting closer to direct support for Indigo. An email from Amazon today said....

Echo now supports Insteon connected devices, including the Insteon Starter Kit, Dimmer Switch, and On/Off Switch—so now you have even more ways to control your lights, switches, and appliances at home without ever lifting a finger. Use Echo to switch on the lights from your bed or dim them from your couch to watch a movie. A full list of Echo compatible devices can be found here. Getting started with Insteon is easy. Just connect your devices to the Insteon Hub via the Insteon Hub App and name your devices in the Insteon Hub App. Next, link your Insteon account in the Alexa App. Then, say "Alexa, discover my devices."

Does anyone know when or if we will be able to use Indigo with Alexa without having to write code?

John R Patrick
Author of
Home Attitude

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1