Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:34 pm
siclark offline

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

h nice. I’m now seeing awards temp sensors routing to Hue bulbs. I’ll monitor it for a few more days. Annoyingly I have one that will connect to a socket I have but when I move the socket to where I have a problem sensor that one won’t connect via the socket. I’m totally confused.

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:59 pm
CliveS offline

I considered using Hue bulbs but most can be turned off by the wall switch and the boss tends to do that a lot,

Now I know the Salus wall plugs will work with the CC2652 I will invest in a couple more ( just strange how they wouldn’t mesh with the CC2351’s)

Aqara keep changing the firmware, got 3 contact sensors, one gives a different output to the other two in Explorer. Swap the temp sensor with another one and see if that cures the problem

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:02 am
siclark offline

Yeah, thats why I have been less excited about zigbee for bulbs and more so for the other devices, so why I explored this setup. I prefer zwave modules in light switches for lights, to leave manual control.

I do use hue/innr bulbs in lamps where the light switch on the cable can be hidden and if necessary use an aqara switch nearby for control which do get used in preference to finding the cable switch.

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:30 pm
CliveS offline

CliveS wrote:
siclark wrote:
Yes I have to flash the old controller devices with router firmware.

Have you bought another zigazigah stick?

No, I am waiting for the zzz-p to be released, hopefully with router firmware.

UPDATE 1 Feb 2021

Just received an email about new Firmware and now includes a router firmware for the CC2652R

@Koenkk Koenkk released this 5 hours ago

Notes

New firmwares are available for:
Texas Instruments CC2530/CC2531: 20201127 (default) and 20201128 (default) (changelog).
Texas Instruments CC2652R, CC2652RB, CC1352P-2
Coordinator: 20210120 (changelog)
Router: 20210128 (changelog)
The report feature (report: true) is now deprecated. This feature was mostly used for getting state changes of bound devices. With this release Zigbee2MQTT will automatically setup reporting when binding devices. It is also possible to configure reporting per device via zigbee2mqtt/bridge/request/device/configure_reporting or via the frontend. To migrate away from this feature remove report: true from your configuration.yaml and rebind your bound devices. Alternatively it's fine to keep report: true until this feature is fully removed, even after removal of the report feature the reportings will stay configured.

Looks like loads of additions, updates and fixes and change default CC2652R/CC2652RB/CC1352P-2/CC2652P transmit power from 0dBm to 5dBm

Full details at https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/releases/tag/1.17.1

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
autolog wrote:
I am currently experimenting using a Hubitat Elevation (HE) as a Zigbee Controller at the moment. I have two Zigbee networks running: My cc2531 (Zigbee2MQTT) and HE.

The experience I had when the CC2531 went pear-shaped over Christmas and a level of complexity involved with setting up Zigbee2MQTT is what made me interested in Hubitat as it seems easier (even if more expensive).

As mentioned, the setup in HE seems easier but you do have to install some 3rd party specific Zigbee Device drivers. I have got MQTT to work and the HE devices are reflected in Indigo via Joe’s MQTT Shims plugin.

More work to do on HE but it looks promising. :)

£135 for the HE is a lot for what we need as a controller USB. We would be buying a home automation system to operate as a controller for zigbee? I would be more tempted to use the zig-a-zig-ah in Home Assitant and use the plugin for that than pay for HE.
I dont see the point in HE if we still need Shims. With the new zigbee stick it should be a one time setup and then using the node red interface for zigbee2mqtt it takes 30 seconds to rename a new device.
Ideally we would have indigo auto create the device, but once we have the proper Shims templates setup, it would be no longer to create the indigo device than for a zwave device.

I thought I would provide an update on my progress on this.

I wouldn't like to say that money is no object, but suffice to say I now have two Hubitat Elevation C7s working in a mesh. :wink:

I have now got my Hubitat Elevation C7 connected to Indigo via MQTT using a purpose built plugin that I decided to develop. I have been developing and running this "Hubitat" plugin on my development system and have now promoted it to my production system and am now commencing the migration of my Zigbee devices from zigbee2mqtt to my Hubitat Elevation C7.

At the moment my plugin handles these device types:
  • Switch (Button)
  • Outlet (Socket)
  • Motion Sensor
  • Contact Sensor
  • Temperature Sensor
The plugin allows you to create different devices (as listed above) and interrogates the properties of the device so that you can enable the particular features you want. So for example, a temperature sensor may also track humidity and you can enable this so it gets recorded as normal in the Indigo UI.

So it is now as easy to create a Zigbee device as any normal Indigo device using my plugin.

Using a Hubitat Elevation connected via MQTT directly to my plugin means that you can also share any Z-Wave devices connected to the Hubitat Elevation.

The plugin needs further development and refinement but seems to do the job well for the Zigbee devices I am currently using. :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 am
siclark offline

Thanks Jon. Why do you have 2?

I’ve now got my zigazigah stick working and I’m impressed. Other than a dodgy aqara temp sensor the zinger mesh is very robust, all devices are talking to each other and lots of direct routes back to the controller.

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:41 am
autolog offline

siclark wrote:
Thanks Jon. Why do you have 2? .

I wanted to play around with meshing two hubs together and wanted my plugin to be able to support two or more hubs (so used in testing). :)

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:59 am
autolog offline

Here is a screen capture of the Hubitat devices in indigo:

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 15.56.09.png
Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 15.56.09.png (291.84 KiB) Viewed 3662 times

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am
FlyingDiver offline

autolog wrote:
I have now got my Hubitat Elevation C7 connected to Indigo via MQTT using a purpose built plugin that I decided to develop. I have been developing and running this "Hubitat" plugin on my development system and have now promoted it to my production system and am now commencing the migration of my Zigbee devices from zigbee2mqtt to my Hubitat Elevation C7.

You're not using the Shims plugin in favor of your custom one, but are you still using the Connector plugin to feed your custom one? For my Shelly devices, I'm using Aaron's plugin because it's just better than anything I can do with Shims. Where there's enough devices or demand, and custom plugin is the way to go.

If you are using the Connector plugin, any feedback on ease of use or missing features?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:50 am
autolog offline

Hi Joe,,
FlyingDiver wrote:
... If you are using the Connector plugin, any feedback on ease of use or missing features?

The plugin is completely standalone and connects directly to the MQTT broker. :)

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:22 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
Thanks Jon. Why do you have 2?

I’ve now got my zigazigah stick working and I’m impressed. Other than a dodgy aqara temp sensor the zinger mesh is very robust, all devices are talking to each other and lots of direct routes back to the controller.

I have the same problem with an Aqara motion sensor, even with the zigazagah it drops out within a few minutes yet the 3 x Aqara contacts right next to it they stays rock solid. Put it next to the zigazigah and it is fine.
Now considering the Hubitat C7 if Jon is going to make his plugin available, so many question to ask about that if he does.

CliveS

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:25 am
siclark offline

I think the issue is with the aqara temperature sensors rather than the protocol or the usb stick. In fact there are a lot of complaints about getting them to work in the hubitat site

I think I’ll try the sonoff one in the same location I’m having trouble with and see if that is better.

On that basis I don’t know what advantage there is to buying an expensive hub.

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:46 am
CliveS offline

siclark wrote:
I think the issue is with the aqara temperature sensors rather than the protocol or the usb stick. In fact there are a lot of complaints about getting them to work in the hubitat site

I think I’ll try the sonoff one in the same location I’m having trouble with and see if that is better.

On that basis I don’t know what advantage there is to buying an expensive hub.

Yes I appreciate that the problem is with Aqara and so I have just ordered 2 of the new Shelly motion devices to try them out.

As for the expensive hub, it is a lot less than my other half has spent in the past year on jigsaw puzzles, it will keep me sane (hopefully) and should sort out the distance problem I have with trying to get reliable control of the garage 30 feet away, either by changing to zigbee or maybe a better zwave reception as the C7 has the new 700 series chip with 30% better range.

The C7 looks to have so many options available to it and if some can be made available to Indigo then great.

CliveS

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:13 am
autolog offline

CliveS wrote:
... Now considering the Hubitat C7 if Jon is going to make his plugin available, so many question to ask about that if he does.

I am more than happy to share it with you on the basis that it is in an alpha state and subject to ongoing development. :D

Posted on
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:17 am
Busta999 offline

I have been using HUBITAT C7 since Christmas.

Bought another last month.

One just running all the Heating, boiler and radiators and hot water.

Using the other one to monitor the Heating one and can force orderly reboot/ power off/on if necessary

All part of my make HA robust project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk