I need to hear a LANDSCAPE LIGHT success story !

Posted on
Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:48 pm
SearchCz offline

I need to hear a LANDSCAPE LIGHT success story !

I'm an Indigo guy, mostly Insteon with a few other technologies peppered in there. Not afraid to add a new bridge if necessary, but so interested in getting my landscape lights integrated into my smart home. Has anyone had any success? I'm about to replace all my landscape lights and would value any input before I buy components I'll end up throwing away.

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:17 pm
mclass offline

Re: I need to hear a LANDSCAPE LIGHT success story !

Recently completed using standard light fittings, controlled by Shelley relays in weatherproof box (photo yo follow)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:18 pm
DaveL17 offline

SearchCz wrote:
I'm an Indigo guy, mostly Insteon with a few other technologies peppered in there. Not afraid to add a new bridge if necessary, but so interested in getting my landscape lights integrated into my smart home. Has anyone had any success? I'm about to replace all my landscape lights and would value any input before I buy components I'll end up throwing away.

What I use now are GE outdoor Z-Wave modules that control power to the transformers (I have three due to how my lights are laid out). I treat them as any other outdoor light and they have been largely bullet proof. I do get the occasional NO ACK message but that's extremely rare. I am very satisfied with this approach. The downside is that there is a lot of cruft hanging on the side of my house (3 x transformers, 3 xZ-Wave modules) which is less than ideal.

What I plan to do with my next house is use a Volt brand transformer (or equivalent) that's UL rated for indoor use combined with a single Z-Wave module that I can locate in the basement. With the right transformer, I can drive all the lights (they're LED) on home runs.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:19 pm
mclass offline

Weatherproof box containing Shelley relays and LED transformer (also controls irrigation system using standard 24VAC solenoid valve.

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:20 pm
DaveL17 offline

mclass wrote:
Recently completed using standard light fittings, controlled by Shelley relays in weatherproof box (photo yo follow)

What a beautiful house!

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:50 pm
mundmc offline

Nice, well done!

Posted on
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:52 pm
mclass offline

DaveL17 wrote:
mclass wrote:

What a beautiful house!

Thank you! If you've always wanted a house at a beach resort just out of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia *NOT* Florida,) it's on the market :wink:

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:29 am
agame offline

i also would recommend Shellies in a weatherproof box, and control via Shelly-MQTT.

Avoiding mains-voltage to simplify installation, but to still allow very long distance runs without excessive copper or voltage drop, where possible I use standard fittings but always replace bulbs with multi-voltage bulbs from Aqualux which are designed for this type of application and compensate for voltage drop. Using a 24 volt AC supply allows even better run length than DC without any dimming at the end (and the same bulbs will run on 12-24 AC or DC ). Low voltage AC is also less prone to insulation failure issues..

I've done a couple of earlier projects with the '8-channel relay' but not sure about reliable support for that hardware/plugin now. Also used a load of outdoor Hue spots but INVARIABLY THEY FAIL within a couple of years.

https://www.aqualux.com.au/accessory/4/agl-250

Posted on
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:28 am
DaveL17 offline

mclass wrote:
Thank you! If you've always wanted a house at a beach resort just out of Melbourne (Victoria, Australia *NOT* Florida,) it's on the market :wink:

I'd be too afraid of the language barrier. :wink:

Posted on
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:52 pm
SearchCz offline

mclass wrote:

Gorgeous !

Posted on
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:53 pm
SearchCz offline

mclass wrote:
Weatherproof box containing Shelley relays and LED transformer (also controls irrigation system using standard 24VAC solenoid valve.

cool

Page 1 of 1