DIY hardware, Indigo, and MQTT

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:53 am
mundmc online

DIY hardware, Indigo, and MQTT

Big thanks to FlyingDiver, I am very happy to now be able to make custom sensors and actuators that can talk with Indigo over MQTT.

My wife wanted poison dart frogs. That’s a thing. I wanted to ensure they didn’t die. So I used an esp32, bme280 sensor, oled display, and a relay. I programmed it with the Arduino IDE.

It reports temperature and humidity over mqtt, and I can change the humidity control over mqtt. The later sets a humidity set point for a relay that turns on and off the fogger.

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: DIY hardware, Indigo, and MQTT

Awesome. Pict of the frog please?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:56 pm
mundmc online

Thanks Jay!

No joke- my wife understood i would not consent to adding live frogs until i “had the temp and humidity right,” which really means until i “have working hardware that controls the fogger and has two way communication with Indigo.”

That was yesterday. Frogs are coming shortly, will post pics.

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:42 pm
johnfdl offline

Years ago, I had poison dart frogs in a vivarium, also with an automated mister (though this was before indigo). They actually are often not actually poisonous when not in the wild (as their poisonous-ness comes from a diet in the wild). Just be careful not to add anything to the vivarium that might find the frogs delicious.....that was my mistake. I assume you'll be feeding them small crickets or fruit flies.

Posted on
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:09 pm
mundmc online

johnfdl wrote:
Years ago, I had poison dart frogs in a vivarium, also with an automated mister (though this was before indigo). They actually are often not actually poisonous when not in the wild (as their poisonous-ness comes from a diet in the wild). Just be careful not to add anything to the vivarium that might find the frogs delicious.....that was my mistake. I assume you'll be feeding them small crickets or fruit flies.
Apparently I will be conducting a droscophilla eugenics program. I had no idea i was signing up for this!

Page 1 of 1