Indigo and Zigbee

Posted on
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:54 am
siclark offline

Re: Indigo and Zigbee

Different Computers wrote:
Once I got it set up, I was like "what now?" and could not find the answer.

Depends on what you want to control.. If you want to try some zigbee devices, you dont need to send any MQTT commands yourself, Joe's plugin does it all for you. Happy to help walk you through it..

Posted on
Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:03 am
autolog offline

Rather annoyingly a couple of my Hue Motion Sensor devices are no longer detecting motion. :(

In my efforts to try and get them working, I have updated to the latest Zigbee2MQTT (Z2M) and also using the MQTT Explorer App, published requests to Z2M to update the firmware of the Hue Motion sensors via an OTA update. The OTA update took about 45 minutes for each of my five sensors.

However although the firmware is now updated the two sensors (of five) still refuse to work. They are communicating with Z2M as every now and again a message is sent through or you can see a reaction in the log if you press the setup button once on the Hue Motion Sensor. It's just that no motion is now detected.

There are a few discussions about this happening on the Z2M Discord forums. I think I shall strike Hue Motion Sensors off my list of go-to devices which is a pity as they are quite nice units (when they work correctly).

I am now going to try one of these: SONOFF SNZB-03 ZigBee Motion Sensor :)

Posted on
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:43 am
autolog offline

autolog wrote:
... I am now going to try one of these: SONOFF SNZB-03 ZigBee Motion Sensor

Now installed and seems to work fine other than with one caveat; You need to be running the Dev branch of Z2M: How to switch to the dev branch
On the Release version of Z2M, the sensor was identified but motion detection wasn't triggered. It is on the Dev version.

It seems the sensor has a fixed period of 60 seconds being on from when motion is detected, before switching off. If motion is detected during the 60 sescond on period, the counter resets and the 60 seconds timer starts again.

Initial impressions are positive and so I have ordered some more. :D

PS: I have also found that the sensor will attach to a magnetic holder. I had the Hue sensor mounted on its magnetic base which was screwed into the ceiling. The SONOFF SNZB-03 seems to attach quite strongly to same magnetic base (I assume from the metal in the sensor's internal battery). So I have ordered round magnets with counter sunk holes to be able to be used with the newly ordered sensors.