Android Client

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Are you interested in a native Android App (a la Indigo Touch - Indigoid??)?

Posted on
Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Android Client

Just curious how many Android users we have out there. For purposes of comparison, assume it would have the same features as the current Indigo Touch.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon May 10, 2010 12:51 pm
macpro offline

Re: Android Client

This is an Apple only house so I'm not interested.
But I can imagine other people are.

Posted on
Tue May 11, 2010 7:40 am
anode offline

Really only if the web browser won't do the CPs
Indigo touch is great, but I find myself really only using CPs.

(hoping Android gets big enough that Apple drops the crud that has the iPhone SO closed and locked down. Just the fact that they can and do reject apps that I may actually want is disgraceful. Not to mention the double dipping on the developer's wallet)

Posted on
Thu May 13, 2010 7:49 pm
jguinn offline

Thanks for mentioning this, Jay. I was one of the crazy people that HAD to have a first gen iPhone on launch day. And then HAD to have a 3GS on launch day. And, on top of lots of other individually minor issues, after Apple pulled the Google Voice app from the app store, I began taking a serious look around. I gave the T-Mo myTouch 3G a shot. It didn't last a day before it was returned. Then I waited a few months and gave the HTC Hero a shot. It made it about a week before being returned (poor battery performance). I had just about given up on Android entirely when the Moto Droid came out and I decided to give it a shot.

I'm now a very happy Android customer and use Google Voice exclusively (honestly don't even know the "real" number to my mobile phone now). I'm anxious for the HTC Evo to come out and give it a shot!

All that being said, there are three apps I do miss from the iPhone: Indigo Touch, 1Password, and OmniFocus. Now... I must say that I miss OmniFocus much more than Indigo Touch. And that's certainly not to say that you guys haven't done a great job with the product (as of the last time I used it). But rather that you've done some very impressive work with the control pages that are being served up reliably in my browser.

It's safe to say that I want more functionality (whatever the heck that means - you guys are tremendously creative!). But I don't necessarily care if I access Indigo in a browser or in a full-fledged application. I'm thinking some push notifications might be nice, as would some location-based services (e.g. turn on the lights if it's dark outside and I'm within a half mile of my home).

Some others might think of some reasons to push for a full application. But for what I'm doing and considering all that comes along with supporting two separate-but-similar platforms (iPhone OS and Android), I would urge you to look at putting more effort into mobile browser functionality that works equally well on both platforms.

From a business perspective, I read a report just this week that analysts are saying that Android phone sales are finally beginning to outpace iPhone sales. There's lots and lots behind that (launch cycles, etc...) so I'm in no way suggesting that Android is going to totally kill the iPhone's market share. But I do see signs that Android is gaining enough clout in the marketplace to warrant some serious consideration from a mobile app development standpoint.

Long story short, Indigo is a tremendous product. And right now, Android is a fantastic phone for me. Maybe next year some things will change and I'll be back on iPhone. Or maybe on Chrome OS. Who knows? I sure would like to be able to take Indigo with me (functioning at a very high level) to any mobile platform that adheres to some reasonable development standards (HTML5, for example).

Probably much more of a response than you wanted. But YES! There are some Android users out here that would love having more mobile Indigo functionality.

Posted on
Mon May 24, 2010 3:50 am
thegeekfr offline

Yes i definitly need an android version.
I was on Iphone but switch to android for a lot of reason and the indigo touch app is really needed.
Do you have any news about when you're going to release it ?

Cheers,

Posted on
Mon May 24, 2010 8:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We have no current plans for an Android Client - one of the purposes of this poll was to gauge customer interest.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue May 25, 2010 8:45 am
TjP offline

jguinn wrote:
Then I waited a few months and gave the HTC Hero a shot.

Have one, Like it, but a few apps crash on v1.5 (waiting for the update to v2.1 from Sprint)

I had one app that KILLED the phone service! Had a heck of a time finding that it was an app that did me in. So I find Android nice, but unstable apps, to many versions. If only I could get 3G from AT&T on my iPhone I'd be happy, or better yet, put my iPhone on Sprint ;-)

So if we had a indigo andriod version I'd try it. But I think the time is best spent on the indigo it self.

BTW PA: Great Job on the Indigo software and the response you post on this board! Thanks

TjP - Just playing with my RunMyTrains.com project. Why? Why Not
InDiGo: 4.1.5, Mac mini, OSX 10.5.8 CamTwist 2.0 (2.0)

Posted on
Tue May 25, 2010 2:07 pm
berto offline

I'd love to see an android client. I'm dabbling with tossing the iPhone shortly. This would be a missed app.

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:18 am
Betacruxis offline

jay wrote:
We have no current plans for an Android Client - one of the purposes of this poll was to gauge customer interest.

Hey Jay.
I would definitively use an Indigo Android Client on my Android devices, besides the iOS one I'm using now on the Apple ones.
Thanks.

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:35 pm
bobeast offline

jguinn wrote:
...All that being said, there are three apps I do miss from the iPhone: Indigo Touch, 1Password, and OmniFocus. ...

FWIW, 1Password is now available on Android.

Choose to chance the rapids.
Dare to dance the tide.

Posted on
Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 pm
JaseRiles offline

I love the Indigo Touch on my iPod Touch but having recently moved into the Android world with an Epic 4G, I'd really appreciate a port to the Android platform.

Thanks

Posted on
Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:29 am
drixtab offline

Putting my voice in here. I'd like an Android client also.

Posted on
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:48 pm
srafx offline

I would love to see an Android client.

Dev, please keep in mind everyone that uses the software does not visit the forum on a regular basis. Currently in the U.S there are more Android users the iOS users. I would say its a must! Not to mention, think of all the extra advertisement that would be for you on the Android Market, Amazon Market, and all the other Android App Markets :)

Steve
stevealbright.com

Posted on
Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:13 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, Android development would seriously sidetrack development of Indigo 5.0 given that there are only 2 of us. Also, we still have very low demand from all feedback (including email feature queries/requests).

Currently in the U.S there are more Android users the iOS users.

Perhaps that's true, but the number of our customers (both current and perspective) using Android is significantly smaller than iOS devices, given that our product is a Mac-based HA server. It's extremely unlikely that we're going to upsell a Windows (or Linux) user a Mac-based HA system just because we have an Android client. We will most likely have an Android client some day - just not in the near future.

Not to mention, think of all the extra advertisement that would be for you on the Android Market, Amazon Market, and all the other Android App Markets

Actually, that's one thing that concerns us - the seeming fragmentation of the Android clones and stores. I think the Android market (little M) is quite immature at the moment, and given that we have such low demand we're taking a wait and see approach - let the dust settle a bit to see how many different fragments are going to actually make it before committing precious resources.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 pm
anode offline

I'd just like to say the 'smaller market share' argument is a bit cheesy/cop-out. The Mac market share is lagging behind yet here we are with the best iteration of home automation solely on the Mac. Just seems a bit hypocritical.

But also understand the 2 guy shop aspect. And I'm sure Mat & Jay will offer info/help for an industrious Android developer.

Thirdly, CPs can do pretty much what the iOS client can, so not sure an mobile client is all that *needed*. (I typically just use CPs within the iOS client anyways.)