Thermostat advice..

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:40 pm
berkinet offline

Thermostat advice..

I have been using the 3M “Radio Thermostat” to manage a very basic gas fired wall heater with a 2 wire connection (millivolt). This met my needs for basic programmability and remote access in a second home. However, Radio Thermostat has now dropped their cloud service and the thermostats are now essentially bricked.

So, I am looking for a low-cost replacement. It does not have to integrate with Indigo.

Any suggestions welcome, including one’s to stay from.

Thanks.

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:04 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Thermostat advice..

I presume you're still looking for remote control/remote monitoring?

We use Trane 624s (not even sure they make them anymore). While I like the form factor and how well they integrate with Indigo, I wouldn't recommend them. We have too many power outages here and the thermostats get confused after an outage. I have to pull one of them off the wall to cycle it (every time) so that the Z-Wave chip will reconnect to the network (not Indigo's fault at all). This condition is so annoying, I've been researching how to add a 12v battery backup for the them. I haven't found anything obvious and my next step is to discuss it with our HVAC guy.

If you don't need remote control, I'd say to go for the simplest Honeywell "wall wart" analog unit you can find.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:32 am
berkinet offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I presume you're still looking for remote control/remote monitoring?

We use Trane 624s (not even sure they make them anymore). ...
...If you don't need remote control, I'd say to go for the simplest Honeywell "wall wart" analog unit you can find.

Thanks for the reply. After a lot of searching, I finally settled on the Emerson Sensi Touch + a reed-relay. I wanted two things: remote access and setback periods during the day. Other than some complex high-end Honeywell systems , there is nothing that can do what I want & support a millivolt heater. The Sensi Touch is, unfortunately , cloud based. But, given what I want to do, that is not really a problem. On the upside, it is HomeKit compatible.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKJQYDW

Posted on
Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:47 am
DaveL17 offline

Glad you found something that works for you.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1