Prosumer router compatibility?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:39 pm
Different Computers offline

Prosumer router compatibility?

I'm in the throes of some support issues with Ubiquiti regarding my Dream Machine, and my hunch is they're not going to help me figure out why my UDM craps out on me at random times.

If they're not going to give me an RMA as promised by support, I'll be looking to move away from Unifi products entirely. Partly because I've found other ways to manage presence in the house besides the otherwise excellent Unifi plugin, (Thanks FindFriendsMini!) and also because FSCK Unifi if they won't work with me. I paid a premium for their gear and it has generally been a PITA.

I am currently running a $89 "mini travel router" that has a skinned version of OpenWRT and initially, I'm very impressed with its capabilities. Especially compared to this $249 unreliable UDM.

My question here: Is there another brand of prosumer networking gear that has Indigo compatibility? I searched the plugin store for "router" and some other sensible terms, but even the Unifi plugin that I know exists didn't turn up in those searches.

I've seen various posts here and, ironically, in Ubiquiti forums, through the years that speak well of Meraki gear, but I don't recall if it has any integration, and again, nothing turns up when I search the plugin store for "meraki." Same goes for searches for "WRT".

What if anything should I be looking at as a replacement?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:13 am

Re: Prosumer router compatibility?

Updating to say that after Ubiquiti support led me down the garden path about an RMA without bothering to check my warranty status beforehand, they now refuse to RMA my equipment.

I now regret entirely buying their gear and intend to move to an OpenWRT solution ASAP, unless someone here points me to some other solution that has some Indigo integration. Nor will I ever recommend their gear to anyone else.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:59 pm
jltnol offline

While I never integrated their products into Indigo. in the end, I found managing them to be a hassle. I had 2 WiFi access points, and while all my WiFi devices could see and connect to them, there were a few that just didn't work properly. Bottom line, I'm now 100% Netgear, still don't have (and don't think I need) Indigo integration, and managing now is much easier, at least for me.

Posted on
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:09 am

jltnol wrote:
I had 2 WiFi access points, and while all my WiFi devices could see and connect to them, there were a few that just didn't work properly.

I’m guessing you mean OpenWRT devices?

Page 1 of 1