Nest (Thermostats, Smoke/CO Detectors)

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:59 pm
dduff617 offline

Nest (Thermostats, Smoke/CO Detectors)

I'm a long-time user of the old Nest Home plugin. The original creator of this plugin did a great job and the plugin was useful for me for a long time (thanks!). The plugin doesn't work for new users and probably because of that, was removed from the Plugin Store a long while ago. The last remaining bits of useful functionality for the few remaining users (including myself) are marked as going away after Indigo 2022.2 due to being coded in Python 2.

I have Nest Protect smoke and CO detectors. I also have Nest thermostats. For what it's worth, I still have my original Nest account (not migrated to Google Home).

I'd be interested to hear if there are any prospects for restoring Indigo support for these devices or failing that, I'd like to hear other users' experiences and advice regarding possible alternatives.

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:55 am
GlennNZ offline

Re: Nest (Thermostats, Smoke/CO Detectors)

I think the Starling hub and its plugin - have been specifically designed for that.

As a bonus get to add them to HomeKit as well.

https://www.starlinghome.io/

& Plugin from autolog

viewtopic.php?f=369&t=26172

I Recently updated old Nest smoke/Co to this new setup and all going very well! (thanks Jon/autolog!)

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:55 am
ryanbuckner offline

If this work I'd be so happy. I would also like to replace my Gen 1 Nest Thermostats and migrate to the Google account.

I'm still holding on to the legacy plugin.

Posted on
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:51 am
dduff617 offline

google kills nest (again)

for the few (including myself) who are still eeking out some value from the old Nest Home plugin, Google just announced (today) that they're killing what remains of the "Works With Nest" program on 9/28/23. we already knew that the old plugin would not work with Indigo 2023.1 and beyond, so this would seem to drive the final nail into Nest Home's coffin.

i for one will probably go with the Starling Hub product and plugin. while i don't love the idea of adding yet another hub and dependence on yet another company's support, this seems like the least-bad option. thanks to Glenn for the recommendation.

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:36 pm
colin_d offline

With the impending demise of 'Works with Nest' today I've lashed out on a Starling Home Hub. After several failed attempts and resets it was recognised by the 'Home' app then I managed to get it to talk to the Indigo Starling Plugin, and it all seems to work very well.
For me it has the added advantage that it allows control of water heating which the previous app didn't. This only applies to heating systems with a hot water storage tank, and I think maybe only the earlier Thermostat versions have it, mine is a Gen2.
I'm still using a Nest login, not converted to Google and as long as that works I don't see any point in changing it.!
Great plugin. :D

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:39 pm
ryanbuckner offline

colin_d wrote:
With the impending demise of 'Works with Nest' today I've lashed out on a Starling Home Hub. After several failed attempts and resets it was recognised by the 'Home' app then I managed to get it to talk to the Indigo Starling Plugin, and it all seems to work very well.
For me it has the added advantage that it allows control of water heating which the previous app didn't. This only applies to heating systems with a hot water storage tank, and I think maybe only the earlier Thermostat versions have it, mine is a Gen2.
I'm still using a Nest login, not converted to Google and as long as that works I don't see any point in changing it.!

I might need to give this a go. I still have 2 Nest Thermostats and 2 Protects and like you I haven't migrated to Google. Any advice or tips you can give on how you got this working?

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:11 pm
dduff617 offline

i have two nest thermostats and some nest protects. as of about two weeks ago, i went with starling home hub ago and am using the indigo starling plugin and mostly echo colin_d's opinion.

i had no trouble with setup - pretty much everything went smoothly. as one would expect, there were minor hassles, some two-factor authentication steps, some bumbling around trying to remember which of multiple google/nest ID/passords that i had used over the years were the correct ones, plus a need to come up with names and groupings of devices that were compatible with my old Insteon universe as well as my newer HomeKit one.

there were also a few minor transition issues in Indigo - for example, the Nest Protect devices from the old Nest Home plugin were single devices with multiple custom states, whereas with the new Starling Bridge plugin you instead get separate devices for the smoke and CO detection, each with simple on/off states, plus as a bonus each also has a motion detector. overall, i like the Starling Bridge plugin's implementation better, however i had to do some work to convert my old triggers and status pages to work correctly with the new setup. there are a few other minor differences with thermostats also.

overall, I'm happy with the Starling Home Hub hardware and with the Starling Bridge plugin. setting aside minor misgivings that this should not have been necessary, i would recommend this as a practical solution for anyone with Nest gear using Indigo.

Posted on
Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:26 pm
colin_d offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
colin_d wrote:

I might need to give this a go. I still have 2 Nest Thermostats and 2 Protects and like you I haven't migrated to Google. Any advice or tips you can give on how you got this working?

Take it slow and follw the instructions :)
Connect the hub
Download the Starling app onto phone and follow the guidance from there. There is a API Key* needed but it just involves clicking a button.
Getting 'Home' on iPhone to recognise the hub was the hardest part, I reset the hub (in the app) a few times before it got it right.
Download the Indigo Plugin, you'll need the Hub's IP address and the API Key* from the app.
Watch out for the http / https tick box I missed that (you can choose either in the app but the plugin has to correspond).
Create a Starling Hub device and then create your Thermostats etc etc as required.

I replaced my old Nest references, triggers etc with the new Starling Nest ones and it all seems to work (so far).
There's some support on http://starlinghome.io/support
Colin

Page 1 of 1