Ring Doorbell

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:45 pm
dduff617 offline

Ring Doorbell

Looks like there have been two Ring doorbell plugins - an older one by MPoulson and a more recent one by ZachBenz.

The MPoulson plugin seems to have stopped working a few years ago and is not in the Plugin Store. The ZachBenz one is still in the Plugin Store but based on forum traffic, it also seems have a stopped working for some folks and it is also marked for obsolescence beyond Indigo 2022.2.0.

It would be nice to preserve/restore this capability to Indigo.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:55 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Re: Ring Doorbell

dduff617 wrote:
Looks like there have been two Ring doorbell plugins - an older one by MPoulson and a more recent one by ZachBenz.

The MPoulson plugin seems to have stopped working a few years ago and is not in the Plugin Store. The ZachBenz one is still in the Plugin Store but based on forum traffic, it also seems have a stopped working for some folks and it is also marked for obsolescence beyond Indigo 2022.2.0.

It would be nice to preserve/restore this capability to Indigo.

I'm successfully using the ZachBenz Ring Plugin version 1.7.6 on Indigo 2022.2 with a Video Doorbell Pro. Is there a version of Indigo after 2022.2.0 ?

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:54 pm
FlyingDiver offline

ryanbuckner wrote:
I'm successfully using the ZachBenz Ring Plugin version 1.7.6 on Indigo 2022.2 with a Video Doorbell Pro. Is there a version of Indigo after 2022.2.0 ?

Not yet, but I would expect one soon-ish. And I'm pretty sure that one will no longer support the Python2 plugins.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:25 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I anticipate that update going uninstalled for a large portion of the user base, Mostly because of the Nest , Ring, Sonos plugins.

Over 40% of the existing plugins won't be supported. I'm not sure how many of those are actually in use. But that's a hefty percentage of 260 plugins.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:28 pm
FlyingDiver offline

And then people will need to make some hard choices, because nothing NEW will be added to the old version. I think M&J have some visibility into this, but I would guess that the percentage of the Indigo installed base that uses those old plugins is pretty small. Yeah, it's a largish percentage of what's in the plugin store, but there's no way to tell how many installs actually use them.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:50 pm
ryanbuckner offline

yeah , I hear ya

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:54 pm
dduff617 offline

sorry, i'm not completely understanding the discussion here, so i'll fire off some possibly dumb questions:

@FlyingDiver - do you mind saying why you expect a new plugin soon-ish? does this mean you are working on one, or do you just have indirect info from ZachBenz?

@FlyingDiver - what do you mean that a new plugin "will no longer support the python2 plugins"? are you saying that users would have to re-start and re-configure their Indigo Ring settings/devices "from scratch"?

@ryanbuckner - why do you say "I anticipate that update going uninstalled for a large portion of the user base"? are you implying that there is some functionality that would be broken or disabled in a new version? otherwise, why would people not use it? also, do you mind explaining what connection this has to Nest, Ring, and Sonos? as it happens, I use (or used) all three of those plugins, but i still don't understand the connection.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:32 pm
ryanbuckner offline

The next version of Indigo (or one soon after that) will remove support for Python2.7. That means plugins that have not been upgraded to Python3 will not work on that newer version of Indigo.

Some people will choose not to upgrade to that newer version of Indigo if plugins they need are not upgraded. Personally I'll be weighing the features of the new version of Indigo against losing support for Nest, Sonos, and Ring.

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

dduff617 wrote:
@FlyingDiver - do you mind saying why you expect a new plugin soon-ish? does this mean you are working on one, or do you just have indirect info from ZachBenz?

@FlyingDiver - what do you mean that a new plugin "will no longer support the python2 plugins"? are you saying that users would have to re-start and re-configure their Indigo Ring settings/devices "from scratch"?

I was referring to a new version of Indigo, not of the plugin. I don't know of any plans by anyone to update the plugin. But I do know that the next major release of Indigo will not support older (Python2) plugins anymore. That's been announced multiple times.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:06 pm
dduff617 offline

AHHH! i did not read carefully and i misunderstood. thanks for explaining. the thread makes more sense now.

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

AFAIK, there is no public API for Ring, and that's why it's been hard to keep a working plugin. We do not ship any reverse-engineered technology with Indigo since it will only come back to bite us later.

I believe Nest thermostats are accessible via their Device Access API, but that requires a certification process which (based on Adam's experience trying to get a Google Home integration through) takes a lot of time, effort, and some amount of luck. We just don't have the bandwidth ourselves to go through this, but if someone else wanted to do it we would support them as much as we can.

We'll see if we can figure out what's the latest state of the Sonos plugin, but again we are very resource constrained so we have to make sure that what we work on will help the most users in the ecosystem. And, of course, we would help with any effort to get this plugin updated.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

FlyingDiver wrote:
But I do know that the next major release of Indigo will not support older (Python2) plugins anymore. That's been announced multiple times.

Correct, Indigo 2023.1 (not the just released 2022.2.1) will no longer support Python 2 plugins. We believe that most of those that are in the store that haven't been updated can be replaced by other things. There are some that can't, and we'll try to work with customers and our developer community on alternatives.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1